Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Ken45
Road Captain
Received 492 Likes on 225 Posts

I wonder if the police frame is the same as other touring frames? Then you would not have to buy a new motorcycle for the side car. I was thinking about getting a police bike but basically it would be to get the RDRS that my 2021 RK does not have. I figured it would cost me 5 grand for the up grade and decided against it. I do have the ABS though.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:51 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken45
I wonder if the police frame is the same as other touring frames? Then you would not have to buy a new motorcycle for the side car. I was thinking about getting a police bike but basically it would be to get the RDRS that my 2021 RK does not have. I figured it would cost me 5 grand for the up grade and decided against it. I do have the ABS though.
The new H-D Police Sidecar fits 2017 and later police bikes. Touring bikes have the same frame so I would think it should fit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hulkss:
hattitude (02-19-2023), Oko (02-22-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 07:24 PM
Ken45
Road Captain
Received 492 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Thanks for finding and sharing this info.....

You got me thinking....

I'm getting older, no problems so far handling any of my bikes.... but know that day will come...

I could never bring myself to ride a trike... That's just my personal issue...

I wonder, since they will now sell the PD bikes, to civilians... if that applies to the new 2023 Harley Police side car......???

That might make me buy a new Harley after all....
I am kind of old and the day came for me and I will never get a trike. They have been working on my leg but no success so far. On to the next step of surgery... Maybe a side car or landing gear if that does not work?

Last edited by Ken45; 02-19-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:32 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken45
I am kind of old and the day came for me and I will never get a trike. They have been working on my leg but no success so far. On to the next step of surgery... Maybe a side car or landing gear if that does not work?

Good luck w/ surgery....

For me it'll be a side car or nothing..... I have an old school HD rider friend who loves his trike.... But, I don't know what it is, I just can't accept riding a trike ...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
00 fxd (03-08-2023), gonemad (02-04-2024)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:51 AM
Ya Tigor
Tourer
Received 224 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkss
On the H-D Service Information Portal you can find parts lists for bikes. They clearly identify all the new parts.
For the 2023 FLHP USA model the new parts for 2023 are listed below. I've highlighted the more interesting ones.
Looking into PartSmart part application charts i can say all of these parts are used in all 2023 model line-up where applicable and are supercessions for replacement parts on older models repairs.

Last edited by Ya Tigor; 02-20-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:05 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 434 Likes on 264 Posts

@Ken45 and Hattitude:
you should try the Trike, my wife ride a Freewheeler and she is very happy with it, I also have a lot of fun when she lends it to me and I ride it...

​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Al 59:
Ken45 (02-20-2023), Street Glider Rider (10-14-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 02:44 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Ya Tigor
Looking into PartSmart part application charts i can say all of these parts are used in all 2023 model line-up where applicable and are supercessions for replacement parts on older models repairs.
Yes, and they seem to be the first change since 2017 on most of these parts.

My guesses on the new 2023 touring engine parts:
New exhaust valves: A new material or coating for better tolerance of high temperatures
Balance assembly: Balance mass adjusted to be better for 114 & 117 engines (there are no touring 107's now which used the same old part as the 114)
Camshaft bearing: Finally the SE cam bearing is in the stock bike
Cam support plate: Improved cam bearing, oil passage design, and pressure regulator for the latest oil pumps
BCM and Voltage Regulator: Revised design with up-to-date electronic components
Piston Jets: Adjusted to be optimum for the longer stroke 114 & 117 engines and proper oil flow with the latest oil pumps and cam plate.
Seals and gaskets: improved designs to reduce potential for leaks.

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-20-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Some comments on the stock rear shocks on the FLHP from rideapart.com when test riding a new (Sport Touring) ST model:

"To raise the ride height, H-D engineers exchanged the standard Street Glide and Road Glide rear shocks for units found on the Road King. The suspension swap bolsters rear wheel travel from 2.1 inches to 3 inches and stiffens the chassis for spirited direction changes. That nearly extra inch of travel may not increase maximum lean angle (31 degrees left, 32 degrees right), but it does modestly reduce trail to 6.7 inches.

What doesn’t show up on the spec sheet though is the confidence that the borrowed shock provides. In fast, sweeping bends, the STs feel planted and stable, encouraging riders to incrementally increase speed with each lap. Under acceleration, the shocks also accurately communicate grip, notifying the rider of the slightest slip of the rear wheel.

Both ST Glides retain the 49mm Dual Bending Valve Showa front end featured on all H-D Touring models, but the new rear suspension is a noticeable upgrade on the track."

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-04-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 04:01 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Some more thoughts on the Rider Safety Enhancements per H-D:

"Rider Safety Enhancements / Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements (formerly known as Reflex Defensive Rider System or RDRS) are a collection of technologies designed to match motorcycle performance to available traction during acceleration, deceleration and braking. The systems are designed to aid the rider in controlling the vehicle while accelerating and braking in a straight line or while in a turn. A rider may find the systems most helpful when riding in adverse road conditions and in urgent situations. The systems are electronic and utilize the latest chassis control, electronic brake control and powertrain technology."

I would bet that the "electronics" mentioned above are "tuned" to the chassis (suspension & tires), brakes, and powertrain. Modifications of any of these systems on the bike would cause the safety enhancements to be operating "off design".

I'll definitely operate this bike keeping the brakes, engine, suspension, and tires stock. That way I believe I can expect the best from the safety systems if I ride in a manner to activate them. An exception might be using SE kits to upgrade the engine. Retuning with the H-D tuner likely updates an engine torque prediction map in the controller.

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-20-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:47 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

I just recognized that the USA police models ship with long stem rear-view mirrors installed. I think I will like these better than the shorter ones that provide me a great view of my arms and shoulders.
They must look ok, it took weeks of browsing photos before I even noticed them. They get great reviews on the H-D parts store. Another plus for the FLHP.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hulkss:
00 fxd (03-20-2023), PaulOver (09-11-2023)

Quick Reply: The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP