Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:17 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

I had to ditch the police seat, it was gonna plant me on dismount at some point. This is the third seat I’ve tried on it, I took it off my 09 to try. A 15 year old 100k+ mile corbin seat checks all the boxes. Some mirrors, highway pegs and I’ll be ready to roll out for an extended ride.

The following 4 users liked this post by Tenn:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (03-21-2024), gonemad (03-21-2024), LTBiker (03-22-2024), Lu (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 08:07 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 875 Likes on 525 Posts

I know I chimed in before but I was never happy with the clutch cable moved out of the retainer, a new top cable is $100.00. For me cheap enough and easy to swap out esp on the road king.
To me, the fact that the HD engineers designed the retainer to include the clutch cable says it all.

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:28 AM
Ken45
Road Captain
Received 491 Likes on 224 Posts

[QUOTE=gonemad;21611957]Here’s the thing.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how stock Harley touring slip ons look. And being this is my third M-8, I pretty much know what kind of sound you can, and CAN’t get out of it. I grew up around shovels and Evos. Evo being my first HD. So I have moderated my expectations. I am also at the age where I do travel some, and enjoy minimized racket on the highway.

So there is a high likelihood that the stock exhausts will remain.

I like the looks of the stock exhaust also and plan on leaving mine stock. After working around machinery most of my life I do not care for noise.

Last edited by Ken45; 03-21-2024 at 10:29 AM.
gonemad (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 01:01 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,393 Likes on 2,976 Posts

@Hulkss Earlier in the thread you mentioned ordering/running the +5” HD clutch cable with your 14” KST Straightjackets.

I just wanted to see if you have any comments or thoughts on what length you would run if you were doing it again.

I just installed the 12” Straightjackets with stock clutch and brake line. I haven’t put the headlight back in while I wait on a handlebar power port that will fit 1.25” bars.

I don’t see a current need to change the brake line, but I could see adding some length to the clutch cable, and add the Fat baggers EZ adjuster while doing so.

Fat Baggers has a 4” cable extension. Just watched the install vid. Too easy
https://fatbaggers.com/ez-install-4-...ls-part-109812

Edit to add: I see Fat baggers is using this 4” cable extension on their 14” FLHR handle bar installs. I may end up with a little more cable than I need/want with my 12” bars.

Last edited by gonemad; 03-21-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:26 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
@Hulkss Earlier in the thread you mentioned ordering/running the +5” HD clutch cable with your 14” KST Straitjackets. I just wanted to see if you have any comments or thoughts on what length you would run if you were doing it again. I just installed the 12” Straitjackets with stock clutch and brake line. I haven’t put the headlight back in while I wait on a handlebar power port that will fit 1.25” bars. I don’t see a current need to change the brake line, but I could see adding some length to the clutch cable, and add the Fat baggers EZ adjuster while doing so. Fat Baggers has a 4” cable extension. Just watched the install vid. Too easy
https://fatbaggers.com/ez-install-4-...ls-part-109812

Edit to add: I see Fat baggers is using this 4” cable extension on their 14” FLHR handle bar installs. I may end up with a little more cable than I need/want with my 12” bars.
The easiest route would be the Fat Baggers adjuster with their extension. I used their adjuster and a longer cable as you mentioned. I think you will be able to manage the length OK.

gonemad (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:53 PM
FLHTPatrick
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenn
I had to ditch the police seat, it was gonna plant me on dismount at some point. This is the third seat I’ve tried on it, I took it off my 09 to try. A 15 year old 100k+ mile corbin seat checks all the boxes. Some mirrors, highway pegs and I’ll be ready to roll out for an extended ride.

Where did you get your tank badges? I'm trying to find something for my bike to dress up the tank a bit.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:13 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTPatrick
Where did you get your tank badges? I'm trying to find something for my bike to dress up the tank a bit.
rickrakdotcom, I was referred to them myself for the badges.

Billet aluminum

Old 03-22-2024, 12:01 PM
BriGlide
Cruiser

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

I like that Police model esp for the thicker tires and the Solo seat,, As for the oil cooler protection, I had some silver/galvanized colored gutteringmesh screen that I cut to fit behind the snap-on oil cooler cover, which I did both of my M8 touring bikes.. cost was about nothing.. looks nice, but I don't think I have a photo to show

Goose_NC (06-26-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 03:38 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,393 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
I know I chimed in before but I was never happy with the clutch cable moved out of the retainer, a new top cable is $100.00. For me cheap enough and easy to swap out esp on the road king.
To me, the fact that the HD engineers designed the retainer to include the clutch cable says it all.
So you’ve shamed me into it.

I ordered the Fat Baggers Clutch cable extension, and their EZ clutch adjuster which I ran on my last Glide.

Disassembled the $4 OE clutch cable adjuster while waiting on the parts to see what an extra 4” would get me. (That’s what SHE said!!)

Ahem, anyway, it allows me to put all the cables back in the cable tray, even the front brake cable that is not extended. I may or may not leave that one in there, but I’ll have three of the four back in the tray at least.

18PiecesofFlair (03-22-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:51 PM
18PiecesofFlair
Intermediate
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Question for you police bike riders out there... does the police seat make the bike feel more "tippy" to you? I'm a newer rider. I picked up a RK police last summer, after a few years riding a Heritage Springer. I've put couple thousand miles on the RK, and I'm still having trouble balancing it at low speeds. Not sure if it's the added weight of the touring bike, or my higher riding position with the police seat. I really like the police seat. I'm 6'1 and the extra height is much more comfortable than my Heritage. Never had any issues keeping the Heritage upright. I've done a few slow speed classes and feel like I have reasonable clutch and throttle control. I've gotten a bit more comfortable with it, but I still have moments where the bike wanders to the right when I'm stopping (using the rear brake, not the front). And sometimes I catch the bike leaning to the left, just in time to keep it upright. Would a different seat be a better option for control? Or do I just need more practice with the heavier bike? Thanks!

Quick Reply: The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP