Sponsored by:

The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 06:01 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,393 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Originally Posted by LTBiker
I called them this afternoon. They do have 2 2023's, a black one and a black/silver one. Neither of those paint colors do much for me (no disrespect to those of you who do have black ones!). And, the price he quoted me was on the high side I thought, both in the $21K+ range, when I have seen new FLHTPs at $19K asking price. So, will continue to see what I can find.
I’m not normally a black paint customer, but the black/silver, with a pinstripe was awesome in person. You can’t see it in the picture.

The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (03-21-2024), Rude1 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 06:17 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I’m not normally a black paint customer, but the black/silver, with a pinstripe was awesome in person. You can’t see it in the picture.

100% agree!👍👍👍✌️

The following users liked this post:
gonemad (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:59 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, I have to say I am still supremely disappointed with HD shocks.

Shocker, right?

Even with taller tires, sprung (and supposedly dampened) seat, and 13” shocks, unlike the 12” shocks on my last two Glides, I will be replacing shocks.

I put 13” Bitubos on my last two Glides, to replace 12” OE, and I think I’ll be ordering a set for the FLHP.

I need to get my handlebar situation ironed out first. I have looked at everything and can’t settle on which way to go. I normally run shorter bars than most guys my height (6’3”) and with the taller ride height of the police seat it becomes the usual guessing game of which will work best.

It’s between 12” KST Straight Jackets and Wild 1 Chubby 12.5” right now.

Last edited by gonemad; 03-14-2024 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:25 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

I need to get my handlebar situation ironed out first. I have looked at everything and can’t settle on which way to go. I normally run shorter bars than most guys my height (6’3”) and with the taller ride height of the police seat it becomes the usual guessing game of which will work best. It’s between 12” KST Straight Jackets and Wild 1 Chubby 12.5” right now.
I just went out in the garage and sat on my bike as pictured in my signature below. It has 14" KST Straight Jackets. I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam. I put a carpenters bubble level on top of my shoulder and held it level. The top of the grips are 8" below the top of my shoulders. These are the tallest bars I have ever used, however, in no way do they feel too tall.

gonemad (03-14-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 12:29 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Well, I have to say I am still supremely disappointed with HD shocks.
Shocker, right?
Even with taller tires, sprung (and supposedly dampened) seat, and 13” shocks, unlike the 12” shocks on my last two Glides, I will be replacing shocks.
I never rode my FLHP with the stock shocks.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:42 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Dowloaded the Scenic nav app at @Hulkss recommendation for my iphone. They offer a 20% discount for quadlock phone mounts. Too late. Just installed the quadlock a day or so ago. Missed it by that much.

I had GTS radios (with nav standard) on my last two Glides, 2020, and 2022, so I’m spoiled.

I see that with a Premium membership of Scenic that off-line maps can be downloaded.

I understand that can be done with Google Maps too, but I haven’t explored that. I ride a lot in remote areas of western NC, eastern TN, and southwest VA so cell service can get really spotty, if it’s there at all. The nav always worked with my GTS radios since they must have been actually GPS units.

This could probably be a whole thread unto itself.

Last edited by gonemad; 03-15-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:51 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
I never rode my FLHP with the stock shocks.
They are pretty stiff and bouncy. The shock under the seat has some sag, as I think it should, but the two rear 13” shocks do not, just like my last two recent production Glides (that were 12”, ugh).

As I think about it, even with taller tires on the police bikes, although they absorb more road irregularities, that really isn’t “dampened”, to my way of thinking, anyway.

And when I “test” the damping effect of the coil-over shock under the seat (like I did at Sears Auto center where I worked in the early seventies installing shocks, among other things) I see that seat shock appears to have little to no damping effect. Add that to the notoriously poor HD rear shocks ( I just call them adjustable springs), even with the added inch of travel on the FLHP over my 12” shocks on the Street Glide, and Road Glide, it’s just not worth putting up with the bounce after getting accustomed to better shocks that I installed on my last two bikes.

So I think there is no question but that new rear shocks are in order. I was real happy with two sets of Bitubos for under $600 each pair, that are also easily rebound adjustable

Last edited by gonemad; 03-15-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:40 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Dowloaded the Scenic nav app at @Hulkss recommendation for my iphone. They offer a 20% discount for quadlock phone mounts. Too late. Just installed the quadlock a day or so ago. Missed it by that much.

I had GTS radios (with nav standard) on my last two Glides, 2020, and 2022, so I’m spoiled.

I see that with a Premium membership of Scenic that off-line maps can be downloaded.

I understand that can be done with Google Maps too, but I haven’t explored that. I ride a lot in remote areas of western NC, eastern TN, and southwest VA so cell service can get really spotty, if it’s there at all. The nav always worked with my GTS radios since they must have been actually GPS units.

This could probably be a whole thread unto itself.
Scenic is a great navigation app for motorcycles and works perfectly offline with its map database stored on your smart phone. For detailed discussions about Scenic, they have their own web forum: https://scenic.app/forum/
More info here: https://scenic.app

I do my heavy route planning on my desktop computer. I use google maps to search for places and https://www.myrouteapp.com/en to do complex multi-day routing. The scenic app will run on a Mac desktop for planning too. I put all my routes into Scenic for navigation while riding.

Last edited by Hulkss; 03-15-2024 at 12:47 PM.
gonemad (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 03:46 PM
Rocketman83
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I’ll have to try Scenic - I just starting using OsmAND on my non-active smart phone. I am thinking of using this as my primary “head unit” on the FLHTP and getting a Bluetooth amp/speaker set up. But the key is a solid Navigation app that doesn’t require Cell Service. I did a 400 mile trip with OsmAND last weekend and its actually pretty good - definitely not as good as google maps but once might be up there with my Garmin Zumo.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:16 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Got the rest of my Paradise Lights LEDs in and installed today. I have to say, best customer service, best packaging, best instructions ever.

Absolutely two thumbs up for Ed at Paradise Lights.

I decided to run the stock lenses on the turns and did not elect to change anything on the back.

The rear brake/run LED is a red LED, so it shines through the clear window in red onto the license tag. A little different look.

I’d prefer running no tag given the option, but that’s not how things are, are they.

Last edited by gonemad; 03-16-2024 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP