Sponsored by:

The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 09:56 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I’m getting my “buffeting management skunk-works” hat on as I wait for my FLHP to come in.

I’ve got some black Amazon fairing lowers in the attic (that I added HD glove boxes to) as an experiment to manage buffeting on my most recent Road Glide. They worked great, and of course you can’t put fork-mounted wind-deflectors (fork fangs) on a RG. I’m a fan of the fangs and how well they work on a batwing, and I’m told they work as well on a Road King.
I’ll run a triple tree dog dish I have too. It did nearly nothing on my last batwing with fork fangs, and did nothing on my Road Glide, but they used to come stock on Evo Road Kings, so I’m going to bolt that on for good measure.

Comments, suggestions, experience, rebuttal, all welcome.

For those that say “It’s a motorcycle, it gets windy.”. I’m talking about buffeting. That turbulent blast that comes up from under the tank. I’m tall and it’s just a fact of life for me on my past Glides. Until I managed it.
So many go for the vent to help fight air with air. I found out years ago that if you roll the window down a few more inches it goes away completely.
Many claim to run windshield just below eye level and that causes "buffeting" @ its best.
If you will drop it down to below your chin "0" buffeting and wind is still minimal such as all those with the short windshields on the streets.
I have always custom cut my own (jig saw) and they come out perfect as you can't tell a difference in mine and the others (Very easy).
Mine is perfect @ all speeds and still high enough to hide behind if it rains.

Last edited by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"; 02-12-2024 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bayou FLHR-M8-128":
18PiecesofFlair (02-14-2024), gonemad (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:02 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,392 Likes on 2,976 Posts

I’m getting my “buffeting management skunk-works” hat on as I wait for my FLHP to come in.

I’ve got some black Amazon fairing lowers in the attic (that I added HD glove boxes to) as an experiment to manage buffeting on my most recent Road Glide. They worked great, and of course you can’t put fork-mounted wind-deflectors (fork fangs) on a RG. I’m a fan of the fangs and how well they work on a batwing, and I’m told they work as well on a Road King.

I’ve got some trips planned in May and June in the NC mountains, where afternoon rain can show up as a surprise in summer. The fangs won’t do much about rain, but the fairing lowers will, so I’m going to try running them, first to manage buffeting, then to deflect rain. I think I’ve settled on running a black Amazon police tour pak on my Birch White RK, and I’m thinking the black lowers *might* work with it, visually speaking.

I’ll run a triple tree dog dish I have too. It did nearly nothing on my last batwing with fork fangs, and did nothing on my Road Glide, but they used to come stock on Evo Road Kings, so I’m going to bolt that on for good measure.

For those that say “It’s a motorcycle, it gets windy.”. I’m talking about buffeting. That turbulent blast that comes up from under the tank. I’m tall and it’s just a fact of life for me on my past Glides. Until I managed it.
Upon further cogitation, and in the interest of being able to more easily access the clutch cable adjuster (which will be replaced with the Fat Baggers EZ adjuster) , I think I’m gonna can the idea of running my surplus fairing lowers, in favor of running fork fangs, and also soft lowers during inclimate weather.

The following users liked this post:
TedMan (02-12-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:12 PM
Rocketman83
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Some eye candy from Daytona Harley Last weekend. They have 3 rows of black FLHP/TPs in the behind-ground. The Lux blue one is my twin!

The following 3 users liked this post by Rocketman83:
gonemad (02-14-2024), LTBiker (02-15-2024), Tenn (02-15-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:54 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

There are two new FLHP’s on the floor for sale in coastal NC (Wilmington) for anyone looking. Friend told me about them. I called and confirmed availability. One is black, the other black with silver. They would be ’23’s since they "held them as demos for four months”. They are not posted on the dealer’s website for some reason.

I’ll point you in the right direction if interested.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 231 Likes on 154 Posts

I’ve got some trips planned in May and June in the NC mountains, where afternoon rain can show up as a surprise in summer. The fangs won’t do much about rain, but the fairing lowers will, so I’m going to try running them, first to manage buffeting, then to deflect rain. I think I’ve settled on running a black Amazon police tour pak on my Birch White RK, and I’m thinking the black lowers *might* work with it, visually speaking.

I have a FLHR and just got done cutting down my stock windshield from 20" to 18". I have slight buffeting... then added a vent. Really, the vent did not improve any of the buffeting at all, but it will add some air flow for the hot summer. But if I hold my arm across my chest... it blocks the air coming up around the tank and almost no buffeting... so, I am sure the fangs will probably reduce most of the buffeting that is left. Update this thread on the dog dish... interested how that works for you.

Last edited by cj24; 02-27-2024 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gonemad (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:53 PM
fat_italian_elvis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at getting an FLHRXS. Is there a reason I should be looking at these instead? What do these models offer over the RKS?

Old 02-28-2024, 04:45 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_italian_elvis
I was looking at getting an FLHRXS. Is there a reason I should be looking at these instead? What do these models offer over the RKS?
The FLHP is totally utilitarian, while retaining all of the classic good looks of an FLH. Function over form. Everything you need, nothing you don’t (IMO).

This isn’t everybody’s first choice, understandably, but if it is, it’s a great option. I just sold a blacked out bike. Paid a lot for paint and black trim. Loved it, but not looking for another.

I’m tall, so my first interest in the FLHP has been the police seat. Even without that, many folks still like them.

22” windshield instead of 20”

fan assisted oil cooler

IMO, the smaller diameter (16”) wheels with taller tires that come on them provide a better ride than low profile tires on non-police bikes.

Speedo on top of the handlebar clamp, where you can see it.

114 without buying a Special.

You’ll have the only Cop Bike at bike night.

All for a very attractive price, relatively speaking.

Last edited by gonemad; 02-28-2024 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:15 AM
fat_italian_elvis
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FLHP is totally utilitarian. Function over form. Everything you need, nothing you don’t (IMO).

This isn’t everybody’s first choice, understandably, but if it is, it’s a great option. I just sold a blacked out bike. Paid a lot for paint and black trim. Loved it, but not looking for another.

I’m tall, so my first interest in the FLHP has been the police seat. Even without that, many folks still like them.

22” windshield instead of 20”

fan assisted oil cooler

IMO, the smaller diameter (16”) wheels with taller tires that come on them provide a better ride than low profile tires on non-police bikes.

Speedo on top of the handlebar clamp, where you can see it.

114 without buying a Special.

You’ll have the only Cop Bike at bike night.

All for a very attractive price, relatively speaking.
I'm only 5'8" so the tall-person seat might not benefit me. I might want the oil cooler with fan and higher speedometer location though. I'll have to check out those features more to see if they're worth it.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:59 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Drove two hours to eyeball this new ’23 FLHP, even though I have a deposit on a birch white elsewhere.

This one has a pin strip between the silver and black, with a wide silver stripe on the front fender, and silver on the bottom of the bags. It was pretty sexy.

The following 6 users liked this post by gonemad:
18PiecesofFlair (02-28-2024), Bhrees (02-28-2024), James-4speed (04-08-2024), Pappy35 (05-08-2024), Rocketman83 (03-01-2024), Tenn (02-29-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:20 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

nice thread.....been thinking of reducing the weight of my current RG by swapping my King Tourpak with a Police Trunk set up.....just curious if the Amazon Trunk is tall enough for a full face helmet to fit in it.....in addition, anybody know of any aftermarket LED brake lights that can be installed on the trunk....

@Tenn looking forward to seeing pics when your FLTRXP arrives....

Quick Reply: The 2023 Road King FLHR Lives On As The FLHP