Sponsored by:

Do you have 12 inch bars on your Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:47 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
I'm changing bars on my bike sometime this winter. For reference I have a 2020 road glide limited, so all the usual wiring plus headed grips. I don't know what bar I'm going with yet but I definitely know I will go with a 12 inch rise. I know that both hydraulic lines will be fine with 12 inch bars. My concern is the electrical connections. I have done a lot of research both online and YouTube. Most information is on the installation of 14 inch bars since they are the most popular. I prefer to not modify the electrical connections by removing the mount to free up more length to the wires. If you have 12 inch bars that you installed on your 2015 and up road glide please share with me what year your bike is and what 12 inch bars you installed, also the most important part, was you able to make the electrical connections without any modifications such as removing them from the mounting bracket?
I have 12" KST Kustoms Pioneer (I like the traditional bar look) bars on my 2020 RGL. I was able to leave all the electrical connections in the original locations. I believe I just had to snip a couple of wire ties to re-route the clutch and brake lines. These are by far the easiest bars I've ever wired as there 1.5" (beefy) bars, and the wiring just drops out the bottom of each side upright. https://www.kstkustoms.com/collectio...cts/originator

Went with these as they're one of their Vanguard Collection of bars meaning they're fully adjustable. They are 3-piece bars so the uprights are adjustable for pullback and a comfortable wrist angle. I like a "flatter" wrist angle so I've got mine adjusted to about 6" of pullback. They are a fairly wide bar. I think mine are at about 36.5" wide...but I'm 6'3" with longish arms so they work perfectly for me.

I believe their Pathfinder bar is the narrowest at something like 3"-4" narrower...33.5" wide set at 6" of pullback. https://www.kstkustoms.com/collectio...cts/pathfinder

Old 11-12-2021, 12:09 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
I have 12" KST Kustoms Pioneer (I like the traditional bar look) bars on my 2020 RGL. I was able to leave all the electrical connections in the original locations. I believe I just had to snip a couple of wire ties to re-route the clutch and brake lines. These are by far the easiest bars I've ever wired as there 1.5" (beefy) bars, and the wiring just drops out the bottom of each side upright. https://www.kstkustoms.com/collectio...cts/originator

Went with these as they're one of their Vanguard Collection of bars meaning they're fully adjustable. They are 3-piece bars so the uprights are adjustable for pullback and a comfortable wrist angle. I like a "flatter" wrist angle so I've got mine adjusted to about 6" of pullback. They are a fairly wide bar. I think mine are at about 36.5" wide...but I'm 6'3" with longish arms so they work perfectly for me.

I believe their Pathfinder bar is the narrowest at something like 3"-4" narrower...33.5" wide set at 6" of pullback. https://www.kstkustoms.com/collectio...cts/pathfinder
Thanks for your response. The Pathfinder bars are on my list. Did you change out the riser bushings? Also any problem with the bars blocking your view of the small gauges, I have heard of a few complaints about that?

Last edited by dontdropit; 11-12-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:21 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by dontdropit
Thanks for your response. The Pathfinder bars are on my list. Did you change out the riser bushings? Also any problem with the bars blocking your view of the small gauges, I have heard of a few complaints about that?
I did not change out any bushings...not sure you need to with 12" bars on a RG? I did change out the bushings on my previous Ultra when I changed bars on it. I could be wrong and am happy to be corrected, but with the batwing bikes, the fairing is mounted to the forks so there's considerably more weight there as opposed to a RG with the fairing being frame mounted. And again, those bars were a b*tch to wire & install compared to my RG with the KST bars.

The only thing I did was changed out was my top clamp to a Yaffe Super Riser Clamp as it has 3 set screws to secure & lock in the bars. KST did have a bit of an issue with some bars rotating. The earlier ones (like mine) had a rubber strip in the clamping area but it was hit & miss. You could have the bolts torqued to spec and the bars could rotate a bit with enough force on them. I believe they have now changed/fixed that with the clamping area being knurled now like most bars.

I have my bars adjusted/aligned so they're basically inline with the front forks. Set like this, I have no problem at all seeing all of my gauges...even the small fuel & volt gauges. Not even close to blocking them. Again, I'm a bit more on the tall'ish side so keep that in mind. If a rider is shorter, or very short in the torso...then maybe.