Cardo Paktalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Cardo Paktalk Bold

2015 Limited, 6.5" Boombox and CB radio

Back in 2009, I bought a helmet from J&M Audio with speakers and a mic installed. Eleven years later, my helmet needs to be replaced, so I am looking at ditching the corded headset for a blue tooth system.

I think the Cardo Paktalk Bold is the one I want if I go that way. I want to be able to do what I am currently able to do with my corded headset, and that is:
1. Listen to music from a thumb drive plugged into my USB connector inside the flip top door on my headset or my speakers.
2. Have blue tooth connection between my Samsung Galaxy phone and my bike, so I can see on my boombox who is calling, and I have the option to accept or reject the call.
3. Make outgoing phone calls using contacts displayed on my Boom Box linked to my phone.
4. Listen to GPS navigation guidance via blue tooth to my helmet speakers or through the bike speakers.
5. Have rider to rider communication either with my CB radio with those who still have a CB, or communicate with other riders with the Cardo system, or with Sena system riders.

So that's what I want to do, and first queation is: Do I need to also buy the WHIM from Harley to make it functiional?
What if some riders use Sena system, some use Cardo, and some still have the a corded headset how does all this work together?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Sandcrab - wow, you asked a mouthful. I will share with you what I am doing.

First, I had a 2014 with the 6.5. I decided to buy a new 2021 - wanted the new radio (just happens to be included with the bike. <y 2014 has a CB; I opted to not get a CB on the new one.

Reason for no CB. In our group, the road captains prefer you listen to their instructions. I am OK with that, however didn't want to spend the extra $1500 of so for the CB.

My main thing was, I wanted to talk to my wife, passenger. Plus, lots of other guys have now gone to the wireless and I wanted to talk to them. Buddy of mine has an Indian, no CB - but, he is wireless.

So, I purchased the CardoTalkPack Bold - they arrived today, installed in my helmet and my wife's half helmet. I charged them and have to tell you - they are awesome.

Here is what I can do. First, you can connect to two phones, I only did one. Since I have the new radio, my phone is connected to the bike and I can use google maps. I can tell Cardo to give me directions to a certain place, and, away it goes.

I have access to all of my phone contacts - so, your 2014 should have that too. Have some friend that don't have Cardo - but, the Cardo will connect with them as Bluetooth headsets. Plus, I can use my phone to play Amazon music ad also XM. FYI, I never listen to music in my headset - always the speakers.

Now, for you - based on what I think I have learned, in order for you to connect o your bike, you will need the WHIM. I understand Cardo will not be in stereo if you use the WHIM.

I did not get the WHIM - because in doing so, I understand if disables your wired headsets. I wand to keep both - have two sets of helmets.

Finally, you can charge Cardo on the go. So, I just purchased two 10 foot cables -will keep them in the trunk. If i run out of juice, I can plug them both in and charge them.

So, I hope I helped a little. Am certain some folks with more info than I have will come on and add some more.

So:
1. You can listen thru your bike speakers.
2. You can Bluetooth your phone to your bike - but, since Cardo is connected to your phone, use it that way
3. Yes, you can make calls- just say, Hey google or OK Seri call this number or call this contact
4. You can listen to the GPS through yor speakers
5. Yep, can talk to your passenger and others with wireless. Think you need the WHIM to use the CB.

Good luck - I will be taking my helmet into the garage probably on Thursday (tomorrow)

Last edited by cycle7447; 03-03-2021 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RMcCord (03-06-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,274 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Cardo Pack Talk Bold is the Best of the Best. Been using it two years and wish I had made the switch from the Sena junk much sooner.

For me I don’t use it with the boom. I pair it to my phone, make and receive calls easy, listen to Waze, music apps, etc. it pairs with the phone and others on my mesh almost instantly with ease.

If we want to use the boom we just listen through the bikes speakers.

This is what works and works very easy for me. Best of both worlds without headaches.

Oh yeah upgrade to the JBL speakers, worth the bucks!

The following 4 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
DZNTS (05-31-2021), Gumbie013 (05-03-2021), lp (03-04-2021), Tri-J (03-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:16 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Cardo Pack Talk Bold is the Best of the Best. Been using it two years and wish I had made the switch from the Sena junk much sooner.

For me I don’t use it with the boom. I pair it to my phone, make and receive calls easy, listen to Waze, music apps, etc. it pairs with the phone and others on my mesh almost instantly with ease.

If we want to use the boom we just listen through the bikes speakers.

This is what works and works very easy for me. Best of both worlds without headaches.

Oh yeah upgrade to the JBL speakers, worth the bucks!
Sir - please feel free to post as many benefits that you have discovered. For me, I will also keep it pretty simple.

Put the helmets on today and went into the garage. Plugged my phone into the USB post and it immediately found Android auto. Had directions set and I could hear the GPS in my bike speakers - which is where I want to hear it. I do not want it to come into my headset.

next, I clicked on Amazon music and it played on my bike speakers - exactly where I wanted to hear it. So far so good.

Asked y wife to put her helmet on - and we could talk to one another - like you said, it was as clear as a bell.

My phone said there was an update -so. I downloaded Cardo on my PC - plugged each unit into the PC and both updated.

Unit was not responding when I said OK Cardo - Battery status. Found some info on the site, made some changes and now it responds.

So far, so good. If you know some more tricks, please share.

The following 2 users liked this post by cycle7447:
Cosmic Razorback (03-04-2021), Gumbie013 (05-03-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 11:03 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default To Cardo or not to Cardo

I googled the HD themed Sena unit and this came out:

The Boom!™ Audio 30K Bluetooth® Headset is Harley-Davidson®'s flagship wireless headset engineered to simplify and extend wireless communication. The 30K Headset comes with 2 modules (1 Bluetooth® and 1 Mesh) and offers an exceptional integrated experience when paired to your bike's Boom!™ Box infotainment system via the Wireless Headset Interface Module (WHIM), sold separately. When paired with the WHIM, you can enjoy full stereo sound, use the bike's infotainment screen to configure your headset, and leverage the existing hand controls to ensure safe and controlled riding as you move effortlessly through music, phone, GPS and push-to-talk intercom conversations. When equipped with the new Boom!™ Box GTS Radio, this headset will enable the use of Apple CarPlay. WHIM $254.95

Without the WHIM, you can control your 30K through available hands-free voice commands or the glove friendly jog dial menu navigation. And, if you prefer to use earbuds, there is an available earbud port in the base. Kit includes headset, additional earpads, mics and all necessary installation hardware. It is $280.95 from dealer.

So it looks like HD found a way to get stereo to helmet speakers using the HD branded Sena system with a WHIM, and have the mesh technology that Cardo I guess also uses

Way too much money, because i also need a new helmet.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:31 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Sandcrab - yes, we were aware of this. We knw Harley had a set that would be stereo and that you could connect with the WHIM.

I perhaps misread your post - believing you wanted to go with the Cardo. This is why I said the Cardo could also connect to your bike - but, you will still need the WHIM. And, the cardo will not be stereo.

Here is what I have i my new helmet (notice where the boom mic is). As I said, I did not get the WHIM - not the way I wanted to go. Plus, if you add the WHIM, you lose the wired connections - and, since I have two sets of helmets, I wanted to be able to use them if I chose.
Good luck

Attachment 613372

Old 03-05-2021, 05:58 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Cosmic Razorback- OK, the Cardo is working just fine when I use the intercom.

I have it paired to my wife's phone - and started by saying things like. Hey Cardo, Battery Status, or Hey Cardo, Radio on. All of these work wel.\

I have an android so, I can say, OK google, wait for the beep and then say call 800 555 1212. All goes well. Phone rings and I can hear the person on the phone as clear as a bell.

However, that person on the house phone - can hear me - but, the vol is very low. What am I missing? Is there a mic volume?

Old 03-07-2021, 06:39 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Sandcrab - yes, we were aware of this. We knw Harley had a set that would be stereo and that you could connect with the WHIM.

I perhaps misread your post - believing you wanted to go with the Cardo. This is why I said the Cardo could also connect to your bike - but, you will still need the WHIM. And, the cardo will not be stereo.

Here is what I have i my new helmet (notice where the boom mic is). As I said, I did not get the WHIM - not the way I wanted to go. Plus, if you add the WHIM, you lose the wired connections - and, since I have two sets of helmets, I wanted to be able to use them if I chose.
Good luck

You are correct, I thought the Cardo Pak was a better system because it was waterproof, had JBL helmet speakers, and mesh technology. But I was not sure of the compatibility with regular CB communications, with Sena systems users, and with the HD Boombox limitations. So as I wade through these issues, as I find more info on the internet, and as I visit shops and talk with the "experts" my desire for the Cardo may change.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:48 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Theft considerations

As I have said, my helmet is 11 to 12 years old. When I stop for lunch or or to visit something, 99% of the time, I just drop it on my mirror, and because it is such a sad looking helmet, I really don't worry much about it being stolen.

With that said, after looking at the picture of the new helmet with the wireless unit tucked under the edge, it makes me think that I would be better off placing the helmet in my tour pak instead. On long trips, my tour pak is full, so what do you guys do with the helmet when you stop for lunch? Store it or take into the restaurant??

Old 03-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default A whole new world

I have been riding since 1964, with breaks to raise some rug rats, but I have always owned a 3/4 helmet.

Yesterday was a sunny day, so went to visit some dealers to try on full face helmets. First time I ever had a full face helmet on. That was an experience. For those who wear a full face, how to you stay hydrated? When I asked that question, most of the salespersons said to use a camel back, and others said to pull over, remove the helmet and take a drink.

Since I don't own and won't wear a camel back, are there other options to take a drink on the fly with a full face?

I tried on a modular helmet, and it seems like the modular helmet is a better option, but they are more expensive and heavier. So question 2 is for those who own a full face, do you regret not getting a modular?

Quick Reply: Cardo Paktalk Bold