Sponsored by:

Cardo Paktalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:28 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I have been riding since 1964, with breaks to raise some rug rats, but I have always owned a 3/4 helmet.

Yesterday was a sunny day, so went to visit some dealers to try on full face helmets. First time I ever had a full face helmet on. That was an experience. For those who wear a full face, how to you stay hydrated? When I asked that question, most of the salespersons said to use a camel back, and others said to pull over, remove the helmet and take a drink.

Since I don't own and won't wear a camel back, are there other options to take a drink on the fly with a full face?

I tried on a modular helmet, and it seems like the modular helmet is a better option, but they are more expensive and heavier. So question 2 is for those who own a full face, do you regret not getting a modular?
A full face is the most safe helmet. That said I do not own one. I have a Bell Pit Boss half, Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 and a Schuberth C3 Pro Modular. I have a mount for all three to use my Cardo.

I bought both the Shoei and the C3 on sale. The C3 was helmet of the year for three years. It was a $700 lid. When the C4 came out the dropped below $400.00. Trust me the quality of Shoei and Schuberth make them worth the money.

Most modular helmets are more quiet than full face also.

Happy shopping.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:29 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
As I have said, my helmet is 11 to 12 years old. When I stop for lunch or or to visit something, 99% of the time, I just drop it on my mirror, and because it is such a sad looking helmet, I really don't worry much about it being stolen.

With that said, after looking at the picture of the new helmet with the wireless unit tucked under the edge, it makes me think that I would be better off placing the helmet in my tour pak instead. On long trips, my tour pack is full, so what do you guys do with the helmet when you stop for lunch? Store it or take into the restaurant??
Interesting - my wife and I just had that conversation about the helmet being stolen. Like you, we use to just put the helmets on the seat - no one ever bothered them. But, as you mentioned, with about $400 in Cardo, that might be a concern.

We decided - just take the Cardo unit off (it unclips) and put it in the trunk or even our pockets. It is just that easy to take off and put back on.

The following users liked this post:
Sandcrab (03-07-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Question

very interested in opinions from this thread, as I'm a frustrated SENA 20S EVO user who's pretty much had it with various issues
but jumping ship has consequences and costs (especially wasted investment). I'm really after real world experiences of why you switched or what you found when you switched to CARDO PACKTALK Black, Bold or Slim from SENA
  • my SENA 20S EVO has developed a fault where the wheel needs to be taped in place (at max vol cause I can't hear it over 50MPH and I have the HD speaker upgrade). the fault: When not taped it keeps 'max voluming' when I ride and and the two tone confirmation drives me insane! downside is at slow speed i'm being defended now by normal conversations
  • Road noise/wind: missus has always complained about road noise. I'm on a SGS, open face more often than not, Shark Evo One 2. Tried all sorts of solutions. But lately, I can hear the same issues from her mic, more. She wears a Scorpion EXO Tech on her Street Bob
  • want to be able to tap in and out easily. so she doesn't have to listen to my fairing speaker music, or me listening to her and her buddies last night's television conversations. Presume CARDO PACKTALK can let you do that?
  • four of us have SENA 20S EVO (2 SENA, 2 H-D branded versions). We used to be able to comms 4 at a time, but for love nor money I can't seem to get more than three to work, together since the 2.0.5 firmware. Wifey and I are stock SENA, separate bikes. Friends are two up, have WHIM, but aren't using the stereo sound in helmet. He has the WHIM for the Carplay, nothing more. We all have headsets for comms (not phone or music)
  • can CARDO PACKTALK pair with SENA non mesh? and could we mix 2 CARDO and 2 SENA and get 4 way comms? can additional CARDO or SENA be added to this mixed group easily enough?
long term if CARDO PACKTALK is the answer I'm sure my buddy and his wife would make the switch, but he has the WHIM investment to consider and I'd have to be 100% sure Cardo will work with his 2019 FLHXS WHIM setup. I'm Sony 7000 head unit, so not a problem to me

I appreciate the PACKTALK models are mesh VS bit-of-frayed-string that the 20S EVOs are, so that's got to be better?!
But again I presume that mixing mesh and string, means it will use the lesser quality connection between the mixed group. Ideally we all go mesh

I ride more with wifey than we do as a group, but it's been a huge benefit to be able to keep in touch while on the move with our current SENA. But recently each group ride is starting with 20mins of '"l£$%y things not pairing!!!! oh f*&^ it, lets ride with only 3 talking"