Sponsored by:

How do you create a route in the Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Flyer903
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default How do you create a route in the Navigation system

I saw someone in here who was creating a pre-planned route in the navigation system using waypoints.

How?

Please give me a little direction in doing so.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:12 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

Have a look at EZ Moto Tim's videos, there are 5 in the series. It is a good intro on the nav system and the ride planner.

The following users liked this post:
maddog212 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 08:22 AM
bgeckle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that it is much quicker to create a route using the H.D. app and then letting it download to bike when you turn it on next. It is much faster than using the on-bike navigation screen. Using the app, after selecting your starting point, you then add your FINAL destination, and THEN add any stopping points in between. It seems backwards to me, and it took several tries to get it figured out, but once I remembered how it works, it has become fast and intuitive. Using the on-bike screen is cumbersome, time consuming, and aggravating.. LOL

Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 AM
TriDan
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I plan probably 20 rides a year of multi-hundred mile lengths and I use the HD ride planner as my primary "create a GPX file to upload to my bike" mapping software.

I'm positive there are as many ways to do it as there are people but here's my method:

I open HD Ride Planner (HDRP).
I open Google Maps
I set up the start point and end point in HDRP
I do the same in GM.

One of the things that drives me nuts in HDRP is that it doesn't care about how you want to route the ride. If you set it up to go down HWY A and it finds you'll save 20 seconds going down HWY B, down HWY B you'll go. So I start off using only GM.
I start looking for gas points that are about 150 miles from the last stop and adding each to the route (GM) until I have no leg over about 150 miles. I know about how long it looks like on the map so I zoom in to approx where it'll be and find the nearest gas station, right click, add to route. That will add it below the route so you have to drag it into position on the listing.
Repeat this until no leg is greater than 150, adjusting as you go. Sometimes what looks great so far has you ending up with a 210 mile stretch and no way to adjust to get under the magic 150 so you have to start altering the ones before until you get it.

Now you have the route and gas stops so back to HDRP
You've already made a start point and end point. so on the route on the left of the page start adding the gas stops as locations, just so I can make sure I'm adding then in the proper order.
After the whole route is together, right click on the first gas stop and "Change to Waypoint"
Keep doing that until the last gas stop.
You should only have start point and end point as locations.
Now save the thing and export it. You'll have a .gpx file

You can use a thumb drive to transfer the .gpx file to your bike.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

Since I'm mostly planning group rides (ladies, coffee drinkers), I have to schedule the gas stops every 100 miles, otherwise I do pretty much the same thing.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 702 Posts

I use the Ride Planner web site from my laptop, much easier to pinpoint the route on the roads I want to actually ride on, because the laptop screen is bigger. I just put on the starting point, then add a "destination" as a pin in the map to get the route on the roads I want to use, then as I go to the next place I need a pin in the map to keep the route on the roads I want, I create another "destination", I check the order in the Ride Planners summary window (upper left of screen) to be sure the destination are descending down the route in the right order, If so I the change the first, or previous, "destination" to a "waypoint". I keep doing this throughout the plotting of a Ride, so when I get done I just have the beginning and the end, everything else is waypoints. I can stop as many times as I need or want and when I turn the bike back on the Nav is still doing its thing. If I take a detour I can skip a waypoint if I need to.

I found it was easier to do it that way because battling with the Planner software over which roads it defaults to versus the ones I want to ride can be a pain in the ***. Using a laptop and doing it on the website is also sooooo much easier because the screen is bigger and you can zoom in better, and then the mouse lol but there are lots of ways to skin this cat.

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (03-13-2020)