Electronic Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 01:36 AM
DelPantalone
|
Novice
Default Electronic Throttle

Hi Folks

I have been riding my 2013 Roadking Model year 2014 Rushmore for 2 years now. I still can't get used to the electronic throttle. Specially in the area from Idle to accelerate. The first 2-5 degrees of rotation are not smooth at all and sometimes even "jumpy" on the reaction of the motor.
For me this means that t the lower rev's and slow speed maneuvering are not ideal to say the least.
Am I the only one having issues with this? is this normal behavior for this throttle assembly? Or is there something wrong with mine...

The following users liked this post:
tonydt (09-23-2024)
Old 07-25-2019 | 03:17 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

I know exactly what you are talking about, I think I just got used to it a little while after I bought the bike years ago when new.
Jumpy or super sensitive coming off dead idle. .

Old 07-25-2019 | 04:55 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I noticed this when loading my 16RGU into my truck using a ramp shortly after I bought it. When loading my 06RG I had good control of the throttle when going up the ramp so I wouldn't drive the bike through the back of the cab. The 16RGU doesn't provide that fine of a control. I found a Rampage system on Craigslist and use that now.

Old 07-25-2019 | 12:07 PM
gdt3
Tourer

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I noticed this when loading my 16RGU into my truck using a ramp shortly after I bought it. When loading my 06RG I had good control of the throttle when going up the ramp so I wouldn't drive the bike through the back of the cab. The 16RGU doesn't provide that fine of a control. I found a Rampage system on Craigslist and use that now.
I did a search on Rampage throttle systems and can't find anything. I am really interested in this. Can you help me find out about it?

Old 07-25-2019 | 12:17 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I thought Rampage was a powered ramp system that goes in the bed of pickup trucks. I remember seeing one years ago at a trade show. Damn if I can find a link on line. How about a Vance and Hines FP3 tuner? You are able to control throttle sensitivity thru it. You can download their app and use it in demo mode to see the different settings.

Old 07-25-2019 | 02:16 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Most of the aftermarket programmers, like the Thundermax I have, takes care of the lag. I have a 14 RK and experienced same until I installed the Thundermax, I imagine the PC, and FP and others are similar.

Old 07-25-2019 | 09:06 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

T max on my 17 Dyna LRS and 16 SG. No issues.

Old 07-25-2019 | 10:59 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DelPantalone
Hi Folks

I have been riding my 2013 Roadking Model year 2014 Rushmore for 2 years now. I still can't get used to the electronic throttle. Specially in the area from Idle to accelerate. The first 2-5 degrees of rotation are not smooth at all and sometimes even "jumpy" on the reaction of the motor.
For me this means that t the lower rev's and slow speed maneuvering are not ideal to say the least.
Am I the only one having issues with this? is this normal behavior for this throttle assembly? Or is there something wrong with mine...

The throttle response on a TBW bike, can be adjusted with a good tuner like the PowerVision...

You need to find these three fields in the tune: Throttle Blade Control (TBC), Throttle Blade Control alternate (TBC-A), and Throttle Table Transition Gear. By changing adjustments in these three fields, you can reduce or increase the speed of the throttle control...

FuelMoto explains the how/why to make the adjustments in the "Power Vision Tuning Guides" section of their web site...

They warn about making the adjustment 1:1 , "Some users want their throttle response to be very aggressive, or one-to-one. This may produce a twitchy throttle; the slightest movement makes the bike jump."

If you bought it used, the prior owner could have had it "tuned". He could have chosen to have a more aggressive throttle or some unscrupulous tuners, increase the throttle response to fool the bike's owner into thinking they made their bike quicker, faster...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-25-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2019 | 09:27 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

Use a good tuner to fine tune the throttle off idle. I used the Harley tuner on my 2013 Glide to soften up the throttle for around the first 10-20 precent for slow parking lot manoeuvres in first gear. I can't remember the settings I used though, it took me a few tries to get it where I wan't it because I'm too picky. The adjustments are exponential and will have no impact on the power at full throttle. This may be one of the deciding factors for me to get a tuner for my 19 Limited.

Old 07-26-2019 | 10:23 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

The Rampage is a bike loading system. It works with a two part ramp hoist in the truck and a electric winch that pulls the bike up into the truck.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle