2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019 | 11:11 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Anyone know if the throttle sensitivity can be adjusted by the Harley digital tech thus not needing the add on tuner? My buddy was told that the throttle operation does not go through the ECU so it can't be changed. I find that hard to believe.

Old 09-24-2019 | 12:33 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master

Originally Posted by btsom
Anyone know if the throttle sensitivity can be adjusted by the Harley digital tech thus not needing the add on tuner?
My guess is they probably could, but the will want to sell you the tuner.

Originally Posted by btsom
My buddy was told that the throttle operation does not go through the ECU so it can't be changed. I find that hard to believe.
Depend on what model your buddy has, if its throttle by wire it does, if it has a throttle cable the ECM get's it's info from a throttle position sensor.

Old 09-24-2019 | 02:08 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

It's in new cars as well. The lag is a technique manufacturers use to up the EPA gas rating. The lag hides sudden unintended throttle movements that would suck a little gas with the assumption that a real intended throttle movement will be held in by the rider. If you could see it plotted out on a chart, the multiple little peaks of unintended throttle movement has been smooth out flat. The reason the throttle feels so jumpy is the rider keep adding throttle until they feel the engine react, which can be a lot of throttle. The rider (driver) will get the smoother response simply by moving the throttle slowly until the computer responds. Once you get the initial throttle response, you are good to go. Where I notice this the most is accelerating out of curves. I've learned to ease in a slight bit more throttle sooner in the curve and get the response I need at the right time without the annoying lag. I'm actually struggling more with our new cars now. I can't seem to do a hurry up takeoff into to traffic without a sudden jump. My 02 corvette is a much easier car to drive smoothly.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 09-24-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2019 | 04:07 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Thank you for the responses. His bike is a 2017 Street Glide Special, I posted here because it is a Rushmore vintage M8 and I believed that ALL Rushmores were throttle by wire so the year and model weren't needed. The problem, in automotive terms is extreme "tip -in, a very small twist grip movement just above idle causes a large power/rpm response. He has owned many Harleys over his 50 years riding experience and a few rice rockets also. No previous machine was this touchy at tip-in. If it can be done without an add-on tuner, he would like to decrease tip-in sensitivity. Throttle lag is the opposite of what he is experiencing. If I understand the first response above after my question, the Harley Digital Tech IS ABLE to make adjustments in the ECM to decrease initial throttle sensitivity. Since the Harley technicians don't seem to know this, what table or section must be accessed to make an adjustment, so the techs can be pointed in the right direction?

Old 09-26-2019 | 11:18 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

I didn't see anyone say that it was possible Harley Digital Tech, just that it may be possible. It can be done with most tuners though.

The setting in Harley's Super Tuner software is called "Throttle Progressivity" if that helps.

Old 09-26-2019 | 12:22 PM
V&HBryan
Banned

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I didn't see anyone say that it was possible Harley Digital Tech, just that it may be possible. It can be done with most tuners though.

The setting in Harley's Super Tuner software is called "Throttle Progressivity" if that helps.
I haven't played with a DT in a few years, but those features used to only be available with the use of a Super Tuner, and is currently available in the current Pro Street Tune, as well as our FP3, and a host of other tuners.

Bryan