Sponsored by:

Lowering just the rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019 | 07:12 AM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master
Default Lowering just the rear

Anyone go from 13" to 12" in the rear on their 14' or later touring bike with out changing the front?

if so, got a pic and did you have any handling issues?

Thanks,
Tony

Old 05-29-2019 | 08:10 AM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Thumbs up

No issues, easy, peezy

Old 05-29-2019 | 08:13 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Handling is not a problem.Backing to curbs is!Adjusting headlight.Ride comfort. Better to have seat modified so that feet touch flat on the ground.

Old 05-29-2019 | 11:28 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Anyone go from 13" to 12" in the rear on their 14' or later touring bike with out changing the front?

if so, got a pic and did you have any handling issues?

Thanks,
Tony
If you have 13" shocks, I would then deduce you don't have a Street Glide, Road Glide, nor a Road King Special (as those three have 12" shocks). If you're wondering how 12" shocks would look, just look at a Street Glide, Road Glide, or a Road King Special as they are all the same bike as any bike with 13" shocks. - the only frame/suspension difference being the rear shock length.

The difference is very, very minor in terms of handling.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-29-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2019 | 11:59 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

I am of average height at 5ft.-7in. tall, but short on inseam, so seat height on motorcycles have always been an issue for me.
My old Lowrider, which scraped in corners & on speedbumps, was just about the right seat height for me with no passenger.
My wife talked me into getting a Road King Custom, it had cutie saddlebags she wouldn't have carry stuff she bough between us.
The RK Custom had low profile shocks in the rear, and I lowed the Forks 1in. in the front, and it scraped in turns, & on speedbumps.
In 2014 I bough a Street Glide standard, it came with a lower seat & low profile shocks stock, I was happy because the wife can't ride. (Arthritic Knees)
All Harley Davidsons will handle good with Low Profile rear suspension, or with Low Profile front & rear suspension they just scrape sooner.

John

Old 05-29-2019 | 01:47 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
If you have 13" shocks, I would then deduce you don't have a Street Glide, Road Glide, nor a Road King Special (as those three have 12" shocks). If you're wondering how 12" shocks would look, just look at a Street Glide, Road Glide, or a Road King Special as they are all the same bike as any bike with 13" shocks. - the only frame/suspension difference being the rear shock length.

The difference is very, very minor in terms of handling.

so you are saying that a road king and electra glide share the same FRONT fork set up as a road king special and street glide? They do NOT have lower front forks as well?

Old 05-29-2019 | 02:25 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

so you are saying that a road king and electra glide share the same FRONT fork set up as a road king special and street glide? They do NOT have lower front forks as well?
Yes he is, The complete front fork assembly's for both bikes have the same part numbers. Rear shocks are the difference along with the seat being lower on a SG.

The following users liked this post:
Toe Knee (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019 | 03:54 PM
Toe Knee
|
Road Master

perfect.....thanks.

Old 05-29-2019 | 04:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Correct. All touring models have identical front fork setup.

Old 05-29-2019 | 06:55 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I lowered the rear of my 14 Limited 1" close to 5 years ago, no problems. Hell I wouldn't or couldn't remember how the stock handling is supposed to be.

I used the LA choppers lowering block, BUT if you mount them from the outside you will change the angle of the shocks and there are tons of Harley engineers on this site that will hurl fire and brimstone at you. So

What I did after some research, I pulled the back tire and mounted the blocks from the inside keeping everything flush. Mostly cause i'm allergic to fire and brimstone and otherwise because I can.

Quick Reply: Lowering just the rear