2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHIM installation cost.. What was yours??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry WHIM installation cost.. What was yours??

Need to know what all of you paid the dealer for the WHIM install.
Had the dealer do it cuz was having a scrape painted on the side of the fairing,,, So.. after picked it up.. looked at the bill.. when they told me the total cost of the bill, I figgered it was the painting that took up most of the cost.. Boy was I wrong!!! my bill was $789.. I was charged $380 to install the WHIM!! that's 4 hours!!! I was thinking $150 at the most for the install.
So I need to know what your dealer charged to install yours.
I dont need to hear about doing it myself. I needed some recall work done as well as the paint.. it's an '18 RGU..

let me know...

Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Srodden
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No experience yet. I will be installing one eventually though. I will do the work myself as I enjoy that stuff. Sorry ��

Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM
KennyPowerz
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is about right. It sucks that it is so expensive but that price is not off base.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

What was the charge just for the WHIM and instal? My dealer charged 2.5 hours at $110/hr to install the WHIM on my new 2019 Limited, total was just under $600can with the WHIM. So I would say the charge was on the high side if they charged $789usd. $600 cad = $444.77usd

Last edited by Sparkee...; 05-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:52 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was charged 1 hr at $95. They had the fairing off to fix a fairing vent. I dont have a cb though so my tank didnt need to be removed or anything like that

Old 05-29-2019, 06:57 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiedwad
I was charged 1 hr at $95. They had the fairing off to fix a fairing vent. I dont have a cb though so my tank didnt need to be removed or anything like that
I think this is reasonable. I installed this myself and I don't recall it taking no more than an hour. Once the outer faring is removed, its a couple screws, plug it up, and route the cord to somewhere that it can be accessed later for updates. The dealer does have to change a setting to let the boom know it has the whim with the digitech thing. I assume if you have this done at the dealer, they follow the instructions and in those instructions, they tell you to route the cord for updates under the tank and behind the right side cover which is unnecessary in my opinion. If you want to update it, now you'll have to remove the seat and the side cover to access it. I just zip tied mine out of the way under the accessory switch panel. But, per the instructions, you would have to remove the tank and everything else associated with it which only takes 30 minutes or less so I guess they could make it an hour.. Regardless, they or most, if not all dealer service/repair shops don't charge you for how long it takes a mechanic to do something, they charge in accordance with a MAC chart (predetermined man-hours).

The following 2 users liked this post by fordhd2005:
jimmiedwad (05-29-2019), Nemo Michael (06-02-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kyote
Need to know what all of you paid the dealer for the WHIM install.
Had the dealer do it cuz was having a scrape painted on the side of the fairing,,, So.. after picked it up.. looked at the bill.. when they told me the total cost of the bill, I figgered it was the painting that took up most of the cost.. Boy was I wrong!!! my bill was $789.. I was charged $380 to install the WHIM!! that's 4 hours!!! I was thinking $150 at the most for the install.
So I need to know what your dealer charged to install yours.
I dont need to hear about doing it myself. I needed some recall work done as well as the paint.. it's an '18 RGU..

let me know...
You paid $380 for labor!!?? That is high. My wife read the instructions and I did the work. First real work on my Harley so I was not familiar with it. Sun was going down so I worked with flashlight.
Pulled outer fairing, gas tank and seat.(20 min)
Installed WHIM (5 min most)
Replaced fairing, gas tank and seat. (15 min)

Took to dealer next day for head flash. $45
The point I am trying to make is that I am a shade tree mechanic, at beat and I did the job in the dark in less than an hour. A trained tech in a shop should be able to knock it out in less than an hour. The flash took the longest.

If I was a dealer, I would bill 90 minutes labor.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

You went to Oconomowoc HD I think. $126 and that was the Flash included. It was the first one they installed. Another dealer not far from you

Old 05-30-2019, 11:12 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
You went to Oconomowoc HD I think. $126 and that was the Flash included. It was the first one they installed. Another dealer not far from you
Nope.. went to Suburban.. Dealer I bought the bike from. Called and complained about it. Manager said that's what they always charged and nobody has ever complained. Well.. they called and said they were going to credit me 2 hrs labor 'cuz we are good customers.. ( think it had something to do with the GF bitchin' about the cost. she used to haggle thousands to million dollar parts orders for GE Medical)

Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I did the install myself and it takes all of about 45 minutes max.....if you don't route the cable under the tank. My dealer did not charge me for the flash.

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (05-31-2019)

Quick Reply: WHIM installation cost.. What was yours??