Sponsored by:

Tour Pak removal Pros & Cons ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieH
Sorry no pics but definitely take it off, unless your back seat demands it for the longer multi-day trips. Like a different bike, handling is much improved. I don't complain when the wife wants it but when it's just me I much prefer it off because of the look and so much easier to handle.
So many people say that handling is noticeably improved that there must be something to it. However, INTUITIVELY I just find it hard to believe that the weight of the empty tour pack (15 to 20 pounds? Haven't weighed mine) can be significant on an 1100 pound+ rider and bike package. Can't help but wonder how much of the improvement is "placebo effect".

Old 01-08-2020, 10:03 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
So many people say that handling is noticeably improved that there must be something to it. However, INTUITIVELY I just find it hard to believe that the weight of the empty tour pack (15 to 20 pounds? Haven't weighed mine) can be significant on an 1100 pound+ rider and bike package. Can't help but wonder how much of the improvement is "placebo effect".
It's actually 45 pounds, empty with the bracket. Also mounted up high and to the rear of the rear axle. It is definitely noticeable.

The following users liked this post:
Srodden (01-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

I love the backrest and would not be without it!

Tourpak only goes on when the wife rides along or I need it for something.

As others have said, why not get the quick detach and keep the option of the tourpak just in case? Then you have the best of both worlds. And you can make a hanger to store your tourpak when off the bike.

I like the look better without it.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
I have the factory king tourpak on the 2 up bracket, a chopped on a 1-up bracket, but unless I'm doing over-nites I ride without either one of them usually. The king on the 2-up is very noticeable on/off, mostly in parking lots or going real slow... its the leverage that the 45# has by being high and mostly behind the axle. It's not a big deal and very easily handled, but it is easily noticeable. Without that weight it does feel a bit sportier. By contrast, when I have the chopped 1-up tourpak on it is not nearly as noticeable... because, I think, the 1-up bracket puts the tourpak over and in front of the axle. Everybody rides with the setup however they want... its not right or wrong, its a preference lol
I, for one, did it solely to have the choice of riding the same bike that could be set up for anything from a solo-seat Road Glide to a full touring barge within a few minutes. Having the versatility is a really a nice option to have, but it is not a necessity.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 01-08-2020 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 06:47 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it is personal preference, I have the detachable tour pak and a street glide seat for when it is off. I don't notice a huge difference in feel with it off but there is some, especially on a windy day. The loss of lighting is another thing to consider but a little extra money and there are options to help with that. Tour pak on when traveling and off around town, but as my luck goes, I always find extra stuff I want to buy when I don't have the extra storage space the tour pak provides.I have moved the license plate now so I don't have a picture of it off with the new tag location.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM
boasty
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleMc0622
I think it is personal preference, I have the detachable tour pak and a street glide seat for when it is off. I don't notice a huge difference in feel with it off but there is some, especially on a windy day. The loss of lighting is another thing to consider but a little extra money and there are options to help with that. Tour pak on when traveling and off around town, but as my luck goes, I always find extra stuff I want to buy when I don't have the extra storage space the tour pak provides.I have moved the license plate now so I don't have a picture of it off with the new tag location.

do you still have the other plate mount? I’m in need of one

Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
I love the backrest and would not be without it!

Tourpak only goes on when the wife rides along or I need it for something.

As others have said, why not get the quick detach and keep the option of the tourpak just in case? Then you have the best of both worlds. And you can make a hanger to store your tourpak when off the bike.

I like the look better without it.

Is that the hammock seat, if so, would you mind posting a picture (side shot) further away?

Old 01-12-2020, 07:45 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraWalt
Is that the hammock seat, if so, would you mind posting a picture (side shot) further away?
Yes indeed it is the Hammock - rather ugly but comfortable. Here are a couple more pix, not sure how far away you are looking for.