Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak removal Pros & Cons ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 513 Likes on 346 Posts

The tourpacks are ugly. Why would you ride around with one on if not interstate touring and NEED the space? For tooling around you have 2 side bags with plenty of space, dump it. Extra unneeded weight up high also. Tourpacks absolutely change the looks of the baggers and not for the better. Probably one of the 1st things that make the Ultras look like geezer glides over the clean lines of standards.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Especially around town, the tour pack is covered, lockable helmet storage during stops, that i have come to take for granted. When on a trip with the tour pack full, my helmet must be exposed and vulnerable while the bike is parked. Those who put FORM over FUNCTION remove the tour pack just to look more "cool" and forfeit the storage capacity they paid for. No accounting for taste. Your bike, your money, do what you like...just as I do.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 513 Likes on 346 Posts

Id hardly say someone who chooses to not run the tourpacks when not touring as someone who chooses FORM over FUNCTION..... Thats just stupid.

Majority dont feel a bulky tourpack is a necessity to run just for a place for a helmet.....

Old 01-05-2020, 02:36 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 557 Likes on 294 Posts

90% of the time my tour pack is off
With the new solo seat i'm much more in control and sure footed on the ground.
Used the full conversion kit with antenna and licence plate relocation, also the new brake/turn signals are very bright

The following users liked this post:
Ducfat (01-10-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

My last bike was a SGS I added a quick detach tour-pak . I think it came off twice in 40k miles. Even living in Iowa I ride the bike unless there is snow or ice on the roads. Left saddle bag holds rain gear and chaps. Right saddle bag holds assorted gloves, head cover and jacket of the day. Tour-pak stores full face helmet, lunch box and paper work. After the tornado we had to wear hard hats at work for about 18 months so that got strapped to the luggage rack. If the bike is just used for pleasure riding I kinda understand if someone wants to remove the tour-pak but for a everyday rider the pak is just to useful.

Zedbra (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I installed a quick detach kit for my tourpak years ago. I think I’ve put it back on 4 or 5 times for long trips. Just tooling around town or day trips, the reduced weight is quite noticeable.

I’ve got internal FM and CB antennas which both work better than the externals with all those funky long connections.

Last edited by offthewall; 01-05-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Ducfat (01-10-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:57 PM
boasty
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
I installed a quick detach kit for my tourpak years ago. I think I’ve put it back on 4 or 5 times for long trips. Just tooling around town or day trips, the reduced weight is quite noticeable.

I’ve got internal FM and CB antennas which both work better than the externals with all those funky long connections.

did you buy the kit from Harley. If so did you keep the plate relocation bracket ? I would love to buy it

Old 01-06-2020, 07:29 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Id hardly say someone who chooses to not run the tourpacks when not touring as someone who chooses FORM over FUNCTION..... Thats just stupid.

Majority dont feel a bulky tourpack is a necessity to run just for a place for a helmet.....
I see, in a discussion of "pros and cons" ONLY those agreeing with YOU are entitled to say anything. I wonder for whom you voted.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:38 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by boasty
did you buy the kit from Harley. If so did you keep the plate relocation bracket ? I would love to buy it
No, sorry. I did this before they came out with the kit. I just purchased the quick detach brackets. Had a variety of lighting since 2014. First CD Plazma Rods, then CD Fillerz, then finally the HD Keystones, The plate holder I have is made by Native Custom Baggers.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 AM
JohnnieH
Intermediate
Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker2
I have a 2015 Limited Low. On all the bikes I have had since the 70s, I have had a Tour Pak. Getting older now and don't go on long trips. Considering removing the tour pak and purchasing a back rest. I would do the whole deal with a quick change kit and quick change for the back rest. Don't know if I would buy a rack. Please tell me what you guys that have done this think. Pros and Cons. Does it make the bike feel a lot easier to handle when stopping? And Pictures if you have them would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry no pics but definitely take it off, unless your back seat demands it for the longer multi-day trips. Like a different bike, handling is much improved. I don't complain when the wife wants it but when it's just me I much prefer it off because of the look and so much easier to handle.

JakeC7R (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Tour Pak removal Pros & Cons ?