Sponsored by:

New switch in Dash Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:21 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts
Default New switch in Dash Panel

I am installing the Cool flow fan. So far, it has been a nightmare. The instructions are absolutely awful.
I am installing the fan switch in the left dash panel. I removed the ignition lock and the switch console. I searched the service manual for guidance but found none. I pulled the dummy switch out of the right-most socket. I could not find a release mechanism so I just used brute force and pulled the dummy one out.

Now I insert the new switch provided but it does not "lock" into place. I am able to insearch it all the way into the socket but I can simply pluck it back out!!! That can't be right.

What is supposed to keep the switch in place?

Dash panel with new switch on left.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:28 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

See the little silver tab below the fan switch? Pull that out.... it doesn't come out completely but it is that allows the switch cap to be replaced.

The install is actually very easy. Once you have done it. The instructions are horrible. PM me if you have further questions. I got mine installed in about 30 minutes then coded at the dealer for $25

If it gets ugly I can pass you my cell and you can call, I can then explain it easily enough...

GL

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:10 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain

Thanks very much. Yes, the instructions are ridiculous. Even with the service manual. I have everything wired up but it was simply guess work - based on what connector fitted to what.

Thanks for your offer. I hope I do not have to take you up on it.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain

I have it all wired and closed up. I will take the Trike to HD to get the head flashed.
Should I be able to start the fan now? I started the bike and pressed the switch several times with my hand over the fan outlet but nothing comes on. As I stated above, without any real wire markings, I just fitted the wiring to the available unused sockets that I found and laced the fan harness into it.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 163 Posts

Here are the instructions that are currently on HD's website:

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....7?locale=en_US

You have to get it activated at the dealer for "auto" mode.
On a 2017 and up not sure if you have to get it activated for just on/off.
In the instructions it reads:
"Installation of this kit requires programming with Digital Technician II to enable the fan. See a Harley-Davidson dealer."
So there ya go, needs to be activated.
On my 2015 it worked out of the box but 2016 and under there is no "auto" mode available.

FYI the tabs in the circles below are the release tabs.

Last edited by timbo141; 05-11-2019 at 12:38 PM.
SpringerRider (05-13-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:37 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
I am installing the Cool flow fan. So far, it has been a nightmare. The instructions are absolutely awful.
I am installing the fan switch in the left dash panel. I removed the ignition lock and the switch console. I searched the service manual for guidance but found none. I pulled the dummy switch out of the right-most socket. I could not find a release mechanism so I just used brute force and pulled the dummy one out.

Now I insert the new switch provided but it does not "lock" into place. I am able to insearch it all the way into the socket but I can simply pluck it back out!!! That can't be right.

What is supposed to keep the switch in place?

Dash panel with new switch on left.
The switch removal is in the service manual under Electrical, Dash Panel Switches.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer

Originally Posted by SpringerRider
I have it all wired and closed up. I will take the Trike to HD to get the head flashed.
Should I be able to start the fan now? I started the bike and pressed the switch several times with my hand over the fan outlet but nothing comes on. As I stated above, without any real wire markings, I just fitted the wiring to the available unused sockets that I found and laced the fan harness into it.
You will get no function until they put on digital tech and program it. You will then get 3 choices, off, auto, on

If you place it ON you will hear that damn thing when you stop with the engine off, it is quite loud. I leave mine on Auto.

Auto turns it on under 35 MPH I think it is and shuts it down when you break 40 again.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 419 Posts

The right switch position in the left console switchpack provides a canbus signal to the BCM to energize (supply 12VDC) to the ACCY circuit harness. That output is through the ACCY Relay, which allows high current draw devices to be switched from the console. The center switch position signals the BCM to turn on/off the lower power leads on the ACCY harness (when installed). My '14 version of the fan is manual only; no "auto" mode but no programming needed to make it work.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:12 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain

I got it all assembled and buttoned up. Took it to the dealer and they flashed the head and everything works. It is in Auto and that is where I intend it to stay. We felt it kick on after about 5 minutes idling, just as expected.

Thanks for all you help and suggestions.

hbsoldier3 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer

Good Deal!