Loud Electric Horns, No Air Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loud Electric Horns, No Air Please

Hi
I want to replace the anemic horn on The Blue Mule. Is there a really good single horn that will fit stock mount or a pair that I can split between the stock mount and another location? If a split set would the high or low go in stock location? Below is why, I can't give up my beady eyed skull.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Have you heard the stock horn on the 17 up touring bikes?

Pretty freekin loud!

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (05-07-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,428 Likes on 2,844 Posts

[QUOTE=XTonerman;18206147]Hi
I want to replace the anemic horn on The Blue Mule. Is there a really good single horn that will fit stock mount or a pair that I can split between the stock mount and another location? If a split set would the high or low go in stock location? Below is why, I can't give up my beady eyed skull.

[/

QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 98 Sportster and the horn is pathetic. I would like to try an electric horn before going the air horn route. Harley Davidson is selling an air horn that is 85 db, which according to HD is 5 db louder than the pre '13 side mounted horns, for about $50. The one on my Sportster doesn't sound like 80 db to me but whatever. Drag specialties allegedly has a 110 db electric horn that is supposed to be an exact OEM fit for the side mounted horns, fits under the cover, and is $26.00 Obviously more db for less money sounds like a better option but I don't know how durable it is, or whether the current draw will blow a fuse. IDK anyone who has actually used it, but I guess for $26 and the easy installation it's worth the risk. If it doesn't work out it's a easy fix to put the anemic horn back in or replace it with the Harley horn.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,822 Likes on 2,269 Posts

You will have to design a mount. But I've used these before. FIAMM 74100 Horn on Amazon. They are loud.

Also, check your stock horn to ensure 12+vdc and good ground.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Long lonesome highwayman;18228566]
Originally Posted by XTonerman
Hi

[/

QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 98 Sportster and the horn is pathetic. I would like to try an electric horn before going the air horn route. Harley Davidson is selling an air horn that is 85 db, which according to HD is 5 db louder than the pre '13 side mounted horns, for about $50. The one on my Sportster doesn't sound like 80 db to me but whatever. Drag specialties allegedly has a 110 db electric horn that is supposed to be an exact OEM fit for the side mounted horns, fits under the cover, and is $26.00 Obviously more db for less money sounds like a better option but I don't know how durable it is, or whether the current draw will blow a fuse. IDK anyone who has actually used it, but I guess for $26 and the easy installation it's worth the risk. If it doesn't work out it's a easy fix to put the anemic horn back in or replace it with the Harley horn.
I don't think I would want to settle for anything less than 100db. There are some electric pairs that claim 130 db.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
You will have to design a mount. But I've used these before. FIAMM 74100 Horn on Amazon. They are loud.

Also, check your stock horn to ensure 12+vdc and good ground.
I have been looking at 72112 and and 72102 Freeway blaster, the first if only one horn. The 72112 claims over 130.
Am surely getting a good 12 at the terminals. It freaked when I tightened it down. I finally added a rubber grommet '
to the hole and with locktite and a lock nut tightened down just right and it isn't bad but could be better.

The problem is that these are not the flat face where to put the second one is a problem, I am sure I can get one of those
in the skull at just 4 inches.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

My 15 RGS stock horn is as loud if not louder than any car or truck on the road. Its louder than both our cages and way over 100db

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,031 Likes on 17,923 Posts

Originally Posted by torchmaster
Have you heard the stock horn on the 17 up touring bikes?

Pretty freekin loud!
I'll second this first time I used mine it freaked me out was not expecting that at all.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

I bought a Fiamm Freeway Blaster low note and replaced the stock horn with it. Then I took a high note Fiamm and made a bracket to attach it behind the engine on the flat panel under the seat. Ran the wiring in through an existing hole and ziptied a relay under the left side cover where the stock alarm siren is supposed to mount. Here's a shot of the horn mounted. Way on the right where I put the red arrow you can just barely see where I mounted the relay.

Here's a shot of the fabricated bracket

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (06-05-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgIwlvD_BwE
i found a blemished Wolo bad boy and am very happy with it.
they have an all chrome model also.

Quick Reply: Loud Electric Horns, No Air Please