Sponsored by:

Progressive 490 sport series shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Progressive 490 sport series shocks

After many weeks of deciding which shocks to buy, the stock Premium hand adjustable shocks were completely useless to me. I came across a deal on a set of 12" Progressive 490 sport series shocks to fit to my 2015 Road Glide Special. At 6 f t. and 200 lbs. the stock shocks were horrible, I have installed the Progressive 490's and road tested for 2 days and approx.200 miles. I had searched the forums for any reviews on these shocks fitted on to Rushmore touring model and found nothing, therefore I am writing this review.
After setting the sag and leaving the rebound at the factory setting, I road tested the bike. My first impression was night and day compared to stock, the bumps were very smooth, railway tracks and potholes were a completely different experience compared to stock, I am quite impressed after the first 200 miles, cornering at higher speeds was enjoyable and there was no bottoming out at all. Perhaps a few more miles and a slight adjustment on the rebound setting and I will be able to confirm how the performance will be long term.
So far , I have to say I am quite impressed with the shocks and am glad I took the chance.
I will update the performance at a later date to confirm my first impressions once I have more miles on these.

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I am at that point were its next on my list to upgrade my suspension. With so many choices want to buy once cry once

Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 PM
James Odom
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
After many weeks of deciding which shocks to buy, the stock Premium hand adjustable shocks were completely useless to me. I came across a deal on a set of 12" Progressive 490 sport series shocks to fit to my 2015 Road Glide Special. At 6 f t. and 200 lbs. the stock shocks were horrible, I have installed the Progressive 490's and road tested for 2 days and approx.200 miles. I had searched the forums for any reviews on these shocks fitted on to Rushmore touring model and found nothing, therefore I am writing this review.
After setting the sag and leaving the rebound at the factory setting, I road tested the bike. My first impression was night and day compared to stock, the bumps were very smooth, railway tracks and potholes were a completely different experience compared to stock, I am quite impressed after the first 200 miles, cornering at higher speeds was enjoyable and there was no bottoming out at all. Perhaps a few more miles and a slight adjustment on the rebound setting and I will be able to confirm how the performance will be long term.
So far , I have to say I am quite impressed with the shocks and am glad I took the chance.
I will update the performance at a later date to confirm my first impressions once I have more miles on these.
Got a set of these to go on my 13 Street Glide. Hoping to get some good rest riding out if them here next weekend during Thunder Beach Rally. After a few months with them on your Road Glide, how are they measuring up for you?

Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James Odom
Got a set of these to go on my 13 Street Glide. Hoping to get some good rest riding out if them here next weekend during Thunder Beach Rally. After a few months with them on your Road Glide, how are they measuring up for you?

Well, I have put about 6000 miles on them, solo, two up and loaded to and from Sturgis this summer, I can certainly say without a doubt, they are WAY better than the stock hand adjustable, After playing with the adjust ability and getting it dialed in just right, I am very pleased with the performance, no regrets at all. I would choose them again.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 346 Posts

Progressive makes great products. Also running their setup in the front on my SG with their shocks. Feel you made a mistake not going with 13" shocks with your purchase, though.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:03 AM
Ciro Guerrero
Stage III
Default Progressive 490 Series ShocksU

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
Well, I have put about 6000 miles on them, solo, two up and loaded to and from Sturgis this summer, I can certainly say without a doubt, they are WAY better than the stock hand adjustable, After playing with the adjust ability and getting it dialed in just right, I am very pleased with the performance, no regrets at all. I would choose them again.
I just saw this older post and was curious to know if you went with standard or heavy duty springs.
also what was total wieght with 2 up and loaded for trip. I’m at 230lbs and wife is 115lbs, loads are usually an additional 35lbs maybe.
I ride solo 65% and 2 up 35% of the time.
I am undecided what springs will be beat for me.
I thought maybe your stats and knowledge might help hide me.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 PM
Buster
Tourer
Received 269 Likes on 136 Posts

I'll chime in here with my experience with these same shocks,

I'm about 400 lbs. Fully loaded, I weigh 250, the wife brings about 30 pounds in the saddlebags, we're riding a 2015 street glide.

I purchased the heavy duty springs, and I wish I would have went with the standard model.

I ride by myself 90 percent of the time and while I do have two sweet spots in the adjustment. One for solo and one for both of us. They are still on the firmer side for a solo rider.

But they are far and away better than the stock rear suspension.I had also changed the fork oil and installed race tech springs.

I have been riding with these shocks for almost two years now, and I would have picked a different brand had I known what I know now.I
I have a Dyna also, I'm using Fox front and rear and I'm much happier with this brand and model.
I know they are two different types of bike, but they are both heavy machines with an older suspension design.

Last edited by Buster; 04-01-2021 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ciro Guerrero (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Ciro Guerrero
Stage III
Default Progressive 490 Sport Series Shocks

Originally Posted by Buster
I'll chime in here with my experience with these same shocks,

I'm about 400 lbs. Fully loaded, I weigh 250, the wife brings about 30 pounds in the saddlebags, we're riding a 2015 street glide.

I purchased the heavy duty springs, and I wish I would have went with the standard model.

I ride by myself 90 percent of the time and while I do have two sweet spots in the adjustment. One for solo and one for both of us. They are still on the firmer side for a solo rider.

But they are far and away better than the stock rear suspension.I had also changed the fork oil and installed race tech springs.

I have been riding with these shocks for almost two years now, and I would have picked a different brand had I known what I know now.I
I have a Dyna also, I'm using Fox front and rear and I'm much happier with this brand and model.
I know they are two different types of bike, but they are both heavy machines with an older suspension design.
Thx Buster for the input. I pulled the trigger and ordered the standard spring shocks prior to seeing this response. I hope they work out. Otherwise, I’ll be changing them again 🤷🏻‍♂️, I will post review once I get to put some miles on.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Buster
Tourer
Received 269 Likes on 136 Posts

Please do post an update, I have been thinking about contacting progressive and swapping to the standard spring,

Old 04-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Ciro Guerrero
Stage III

Originally Posted by Buster
Please do post an update, I have been thinking about contacting progressive and swapping to the standard spring,
I will put on and ride a couple of hundred miles and let you know. Keep an eye out for the post sometime in May

Quick Reply: Progressive 490 sport series shocks