Sponsored by:

License Plate Relocator

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 12:25 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,172 Likes on 354 Posts
Default License Plate Relocator

I found these pics on the forums here and have a question about this license plate relocator bracket. It is a Harley part that comes with the quick detach tour pak kit but can be ordered separately. I recently acquired a 2016 FLHTP cop bike and after removing the police seat and rear rack I found myself looking for options to mount a license plate. Our Canadian plate is about 1/2" taller than USA plates. The police bike has a tail light and the bullet turn signal bar but this particular style signal bar has no option to mount the plate holder under it. It is a thinner design with no threaded holes for either the plate bracket or the light above it. This part from the quick detach kit is my simplest option as I have no desire to drill the fender or swap out the turn signal bar. I know that this relocator bracket is an overpriced cheap stamped piece of metal but how is the overall fit once mounted behind the tail light? Is it sturdy enough should someone hit it accidentally swinging a leg over the bike? Does the thickness of the bracket interfere with the proper fit of the tail light? Any unsightly gaps or fitment issues of any kind? For those of you who have installed the quick detach tour pak kit and used this relocator bracket please give your honest opinions. I'm not so much bothered by the overall look or design but if it causes a problem with the way the tail light fits against the fender that is an issue. This is not a show bike by any stretch it's a daily rider but I want the tail light to fit properly once installing this part. Any close up photos that anyone can reply with would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:51 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

I hated it... but it works. It seemed sturdy enough, it is not flimsy and its fitment is fine. I bent it back a little bit so it wasn’t standing straight up. I just didn’t like the billboard look above the taillight, but that’s a personal preference thing. Also, when I took it off it did leave a rub place on the fender just above the chrome taillight base. My signature pic is from when I was using that same bracket.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-31-2019 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wide glider (04-02-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 02:09 PM
wide glider
Road Master

I'm ok with it standing straight up. Did it mark the fender because you bent the bracket? It appears curved to match the contours of both the fender and the tail light base. Thanks

Old 03-31-2019, 04:20 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Maybe, but I don’t think so. It was/is in line with the tab that catches the mounting bolt... above it though, just as it comes out from under the light, and about 1” across. Didn’t rub thru the paint, just fouled up the clear coat. If I was to ever use one again, I think I would just make a thin black rubber gasket to put between it and the fender at the top.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-31-2019 at 04:23 PM.
wide glider (04-02-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 04:43 PM
wide glider
Road Master

Good suggestion and good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I'm kinda out of options other than this bracket though...I could use a turn signal lightbar like that on the Canadian Streetglides with a tail light as they have a lighted plate holder suspended under them but then I run into problems with the chrome housing for the lower fender running light which Streetglides don't have. There just isn't enough room overall. Roadkings here in Canada have a billboard style plate holder above the tail light similar to what this bracket accomplishes but then you have to drill 3 holes into the fender to attach it. This appears to be the quickest and easiest way out of this predicament and the tail light lense is already designed to illuminate the lic plate above it originally on the rack. As I said, I can live with the overall look as long as it appears "factory" when installed and there is no ugliness where the tail light meets the fender. If anyone can snap a pic or two close up showing the tail light fit to the fender I would greatly appreciate it before ordering up this bracket. It is a cheap piece of stamped steel but not inexpensive up here in Canada. Available in chrome or black will most likely order the black. Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2019, 05:21 PM
twosailin
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have this. Works good! I too bent it forward so it doesn't stick up so high, when I put on a Street Glide seat. That would be good for your taller plate.

wide glider (04-02-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 PM
twosailin
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
wide glider (04-02-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 540 Posts

I used the same item on my ‘17 CVO Limited when I removed the TP. I also bent it slightly so it would contour more to the fender. I used a small piece of 3M clear protectant that I cut to fit behind the bracket. When I removed the bracket to sell the bike there was no damage at all to the rear fender.
Good Luck

wide glider (04-02-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 PM
wide glider
Road Master

Thanks guys for the replies. Pics look good twosailin...it looks fine where the light meets the fender. My other option is the license bracket from a Roadking Classic that mounts above the light but I don't wanna screw up drilling the 3 mounting holes. This looks to be much faster and simpler with little chance of anything going wrong.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 09 Electra glide I used the 09 EG Standard,or road king standard signal bar which has the plate mounted below it.There was just enough room for my Nova Scotia plate between the bottom of the tail light and the chrome of the fender tip light..

wide glider (04-02-2019)