Sponsored by:

Make my FLHTK similar to FLHTKL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM
linerjoe
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make my FLHTK similar to FLHTKL

I recently purchased a '15 FLHTK, and have about a 100 miles on it. I'm 5'11" (with apparently short arms), and the seating position to the bars is rough. I'm stretched out, uncomfortable, and it hurts my back and shoulders.

I just got back this week from a 1000 mile trip on a rental '17 FLHTKL (2-up). I realized that it fit me much better!

I would like to get a similar feel for the handlebars and windshield. Height is fine.

I plan to keep the stock seat (meaning I'm +1" from the FLHTKL).
For bars (I've read through a bunch of threads) - thinking the KhromeWorks 2+2" narrow sweepers. Does this make sense? Or should I go with the 2" (2" back, but no extra rise?).
For windshield, the FLHTK has an 8.5", so perhaps a 9" (since I'm sitting 1" higher?) from LRS?

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks!

joe
joe

Old 02-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Either you have very short arms or you don't have the stock seat on your Limited. I'm shorter than you and I have a big bend in my arms with the stock seat. With my Mustang Super Tour, that sits me back about 1 1/2", I have very little bend.

If you liked the bars on the Low buy a set of Low bars from HD or find a set of take offs for almost nothing.

Everyone wants something different in a shield so there's no answer. Good luck.

Last edited by Red; 02-15-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 PM
linerjoe
Novice

I don't think I have exceptionally short arms, but perhaps I do? I thought it was a stock seat. It is a HD seat, stamped with RDW-92/61-0067, which appears to indicate a stock seat. But maybe I'm missing something? All I know is that I'm not close enough to the grips!

Is there anything else on the seat that would indicate a part number or that it's stock? The above stamped part number doesn't look like a normal HD part number. Maybe I'll have to run to the dealer and sit on a few others.

Did the seats change between '15 and '17-18? I haven't seen any indication that they have.

joe

Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 PM
linerjoe
Novice

Ok, so I just learned that the "RDW-92/61-0067" doesn't mean squat. So it might be a non-stock seat.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

No the seats didn't change. If it's a stock seat it should still have a white label with the part number on it. The numbers on the pan I think are just the pan numbers.

Should be stamped low on the seat pan also if it's a stocker.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by linerjoe
Ok, so I just learned that the "RDW-92/61-0067" doesn't mean squat. So it might be a non-stock seat.
My HD Sundowner seat has those numbers on the pan. My stock Limited seat doesn't.

Trying a stock seat might solve your issue. My Mustang that sits me back bothers my shoulders if I don't have the backrest installed. I think the backrest makes me sit upright.

Last edited by Red; 02-15-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 PM
linerjoe
Novice

Originally Posted by Red
My HD Sundowner seat has those numbers on the pan. My stock Limited seat doesn't.

Trying a stock seat might solve your issue. My Mustang that sits me back bothers my shoulders if I don't have the backrest installed. I think the backrest makes me sit upright.
Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow to check out some stock seats. But then I have another choice... buy another seat (the FLHTKL seat was actually pretty comfortable across 1k miles in 5 days, which surprised me), or just buy handlebars. I have to take the fairing apart anyway to get the WHIM installed, so I may as well swap out the handlebars, and they're cheaper than seats.

joe

Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

No guarantee the seat on the Low rental was actually a stock low seat! lol...

Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 PM
linerjoe
Novice

Originally Posted by Red
No guarantee the seat on the Low rental was actually a stock low seat! lol...
They claim it is (the only modification to the bike was the removal of the heel shifter, according to the owner... that took some getting used to as well!), but it is possible.

joe

Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 PM
linerjoe
Novice

Here’s a picture of the seat on the bike. Any thoughts as to what seat it may be?

Quick Reply: Make my FLHTK similar to FLHTKL