Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make my FLHTK similar to FLHTKL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Changing the seat is one screw and the cost of the seat.
changing the bars is 3 to 6 hours of your time if you do it if not ask your dealer what they'll charge. You'll probably buy the seat

Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by linerjoe

Here’s a picture of the seat on the bike. Any thoughts as to what seat it may be?
Just a quick Google search for the flhtk stock seat. It may be that you have the low. Looks a lot deeper that what I seen in the HD stock photos. My wife has a sundowner and hers has the crosshatch pattern. Dont know if they may a smooth sundowner.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Maybe the H-D Tall which would be why you have to reach for the bars. Doesn't look anything like my Sundowner.

Go to the H-D.com store and compare to the Tall and other touring seats.

Take your stock seat to your dealer parts dept. They can tell you.

You've got a long time before you can ride. That's plenty of time to find a like new take off for $100-$150. Just have to figure out what you need or want.

Last edited by Red; 02-15-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red
Maybe the H-D Tall which would be why you have to reach for the bars. Doesn't look anything like my Sundowner.

Go to the H-D.com store and compare to the Tall and other touring seats.
Think you nailed it with the Tallboy. Looks pretty damn close.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:31 PM
sleighcrane
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Have you tried to just rotate your bars closer to you? I rotated mine upward and away from me and it made a nice difference. I just loosened the handlebar clamp adjusted and retightened.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I have a '15 FLHTKL, with the stock seat. I Also have a stock FLHTK seat. Easiest way to tell them apart at a glance is the width.... about 15" on the low & 16" on the std. They even have different part numbers for the seat strap due to this.

BOTH have LOW stamped on the pan... means nothing.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,425 Likes on 3,217 Posts

The pictured seat almost looks like a Tallboy. If the passenger pad looks rounded(hard to tell in your pic), I'd say it is.

I would think looking at the Classifieds section here could net you a stock seat and bars from a FLHTK-L, for very reasonable prices. The downside to those bars, you lose the heated grips. Other differences on the low, the primary is thinner and the shocks are 1" lower as well.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 AM
linerjoe
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
The pictured seat almost looks like a Tallboy. If the passenger pad looks rounded(hard to tell in your pic), I'd say it is.

I would think looking at the Classifieds section here could net you a stock seat and bars from a FLHTK-L, for very reasonable prices. The downside to those bars, you lose the heated grips. Other differences on the low, the primary is thinner and the shocks are 1" lower as well.
Do you really lose the heated grips? From what I've read, the FLHTKL doesn't have heated grips because they are bigger diameter, so they went with regular non-heated grips. I think the bars are still 1" diameter, like the stock FLHTK bars, right?

And yes, I think this group is correct. It looks like a Tallboy seat. I'll take it to a dealer today, to try and verify. That seat apparently has the same height, but moves you back 1.5-2", which would certainly explain my issue reaching the bars, and liking the extra 2" pullback on the FLHTKL I rode.

joe

Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 AM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a stock seat from a 2014 FLHTK. If you would be interested in trading, send me a PM.

-Bob

Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Heated grips from the K will fit right up to the L bars... I've done it. If you want reduced diameter heated grips they are available in the P&A catalog, but I don't think they are internally wired.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Quick Reply: Make my FLHTK similar to FLHTKL