Sponsored by:

V&H dual slash cut questions, 2015 SG

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM
03nighttrain
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V&H dual slash cut questions, 2015 SG

I searched the threads and came up with getting a tuner after installing the slip ons. I also read an article from J&P cycles that I don't need the parts but the bike will run a lot better. Now I don't know what to do.
1) do I need to purchase a tuner? and if so, looking for recommendations?
2) Will I need to get a stage 1 air intake and again looking for recommendations if needed?
If the tuner and/or stage 1 is needed, price is going to be a big deal, as I don't have a ton of money.
Ty, Dave

Last edited by 03nighttrain; 01-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:17 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm no expert, and there are a few different opinions on this one but here's what I do know.

Typically if you are just doing slip ons then you are not changing the amount of air coming into the bike, you're simply letting it out easier and making a way cooler noise doing it! That being said, if you're not bringing in more air you should not need a tuner. The bike will still deliver fuel with the stock setup as it always has, air flow hasn't increased so all is and should be good. The guys that tell you that you need a tuner are usually the guys selling the tuners.

The rest of this equation goes like this, I have read that the rushmore bikes (14 SG and 15RG I ride a 15 RGS) have a high flow breather and filter element from the factory, I am sure the aftermarket ones are better but the word is the factory air cleaner will provide lots of air so long as you don't make any radical changes. So if you are just doing slip ons you should not need a stage 1 intake or a tuner.

Now. as for the tuner question, I will tell you this... A bone stock bike will absolutely benefit from a tuner, these bikes are set up mega lean from the factory and there are some improvements and benefits you will absolutely see! I installed the Vance and Hines FP3 on mine and I love it! Started as a stock bike with slip ons and it just made the bike work better, wasn't mind blowing difference but an absolute noticeable difference for sure. The bike just ran better, started better felt better! After a year and the warranty running out I threw a set of cams in mine, made a call to V&H after uploading my map to them. They modified the map and sent it back to me while I was on the phone with them, this is all done through the FP3 app on my phone. Load the map and fired it up, awesome service and support from V&H.

So in the end, I don't think you need a tuner to just do slip ons. I have done it on a few of my bikes and had no issues so long as you don't mess with anything you'll be fine. Do I recommend a tuner, absolutely! At some point buy one, I don't think you'll be disappointed and if you plan on making further mods later on you'll have what you need to make the necessary adjustments.

Just my opinion and I know everyone has one.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 PM
03nighttrain
Advanced

Wow thank you Rusty! Clear cut information! Yes the local dealer parts guy straight out told me to get their stage 1 and tuner/ $450.00 + tax and NY sucks in taxes. I don't blame them at all, they service my bike and I buy mainly from them. I have no problem supporting the dealer/company either. I just wanted the additional suggestions.

I'll do the slip ons when we the weather breaks and then go for the tuner hopefully early in the season.

Never fails - I've always gotten the best information right here.

Thanks Dave

The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:43 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Like I said, this is what I've done so it's my opinion based on my experiences. I'm sure someone will add to this and they might have other ideas as well.

Glad I was able to help, hopefully! Lol

Enjoy man!

Old 01-29-2019, 01:46 PM
03nighttrain
Advanced

Ty, Again sir!

rusty289 (02-06-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I added my pipes and FP3 at the same time, so I don’t know what just the pipes would do. I can tell you the FP3 made a very noticeable difference. I don’t hear many complaints about the FP3 and I’m very happy with mine. I’ve read many places that the stock air cleaner is adequate for stage 1. I added an HD one that I found on clearance at my dealership. I’m very happy with the pipes too. They look great and the sound is much improved from stock.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

If you are just doing slip on mufflers, no you don't need a tuner, you are just letting hot gasses flowing out easier, plus you get a better sound.
Rusty is right, you only "Need" a tuner if you change breathers to let more air in, or you change cams.
Yes a tuner will make your bike run better and cooler, these bikes are super lean from the factory.
I have used tuners on all of my late model fuel injected Harley's, I've also had them all dyno tuned, because of extensive engine mods.
My advice, put a nice set of slip on's on it and enjoy the ride, then later add a tuner and a free flowing breather, have it dyno tuned as funds allow, you will get the best results from a dyno tune, but not necessary.

Last edited by pswomack; 01-29-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a 2016 Road Glide Special and did just pipes and got some decal popping.I added the stage one air cleaner and a FP3 tuner later and it runs really well.The decel popping isn’t an issue anymore.Didnt affect my mileage at all.So if I didn’t get decel pop after just changing the pipes I would have left it alone.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

Need and should are two different things. Will it hurt the bike to cheap out and not get a tuner, no. Will the bike run better with a little more power with one, yes. Do yourself a favor and get the VH FP3. It will take you 15 minutes to flash the bike with the correct tune for the bike’s configuration.

vanceandhines (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 AM
03nighttrain
Advanced

Yes definitely will be adding items tuner and breather over the short term. TY

Quick Reply: V&H dual slash cut questions, 2015 SG