Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Air Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air Shocks?

I will be upgrading my stock shocks on my 14 SG someday and have been researching Progressive, Pro Action and Legends. I know nothing about adjustable Air Shocks. I see brands out there such as JNR... Got questions? What are the benefits of the Air? Other than lower in the bike and raising it, are there any benefits? How do they handle compared to spring shocks? Comfort? Where does the compressor mount? I do not like the idea of loosing bag space...

Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

IF I do air ride it will be JNR....looks/sound like the best for the price out there. They modify the air shocks for motorcycle use...I had the "DIY" air ride an it's car air shocks slapped on a bike an it rode terrible. The JNR system is revalved. JNR gets good reviews for ride an handling. They offer a "ride repeater" that always sets it to the same height no matter the weight load. their compressor mounts behind the bags so you don't lose bag space an it's not seen. My DIY kit had the compressor under a side cover on my 05. I scored some progressive 444's for a hundred bucks so I didn't go air ride but I haven't ruled it out.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

Air lines leak and compressors lay down at inopportune times. Slap Legend Revo-A's on it and forget about it.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:48 AM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the DIY Monroe set up.....Monroe are junk. Both have broke at the top mount. JNR and Dirty Air are tig welded at the mount to prevent breakage. As mentioned, the valving has been improved. I'm currently using 13" Progressive 444 with a 1" lowering block on my 15 SGS, the ride is great. Since I have the air ride infrastructure in place, I'll be installing a set of Dirty Air shocks soon. Being vertically challenged, moving my bike around in the lowered position is the Bomb!!! "just sayin". The air ride is great, once you find the air pressure sweet spot that suits you.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,032 Likes on 7,309 Posts

Great thread, about time someone does a SHOCK THREAD! LOL

OP, I rode three different touring bikes over 7 years, right at 85k total miles with stock HD air shocks. They are always leaking down, need attention every week. Air was always too much or too little, it is a give and take. Then I had one fail. Yeah there is also oil in them and they will leak.

We went to Pro-Action and visited George and DJ. I told them I would give them a chance to sell me. DJ said "That is EASY". I'll product is like crack. We'll let you try it and you'll be hooked.

George set u a brand new pair for us. DJ started removing the stock shocks. They had the new ones on in like 20 minutes. We climbed on the bike and followed George on his Road Glide on some of the roughest roads near by. He hit every bump and we followed in his path.

My wife asked me why in the world had we not done this sooner. We got back after about 15 miles and gladly ponied up the cash. These things are AMAZING. Like I have told many, if I knew when I started riding HD's what I know now the first money I would have ever spent was on suspension.

The ride is 1000 times better. There is nothing to do, no air, no adjustment, just ride. Handling is amazing also. I found myself traveling 10 mph faster on roads I was familiar with than before.

If you do it you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

There are other good brands. But call George and DJ and speak with them. Made in the USA by really nice people with 40 years in suspension.

Good luck

Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Norcalsvt
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I went with BI-turbo through DK customs. Couldn't be happier.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:25 PM
The lark
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I had platinum air. In my 16 street glide.
Nothing but a headache. Always leaking down. Could never find the sweet spot. Could never get the proper ride hight.
I had to remove it. My wife said she wasn’t going to ride on it anymore.
So I got some ohlins. Bike rides smooth, handles great. My wife is happy.
I do miss slamming it down. And the electric stand.