2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to remove this stick-on bling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Default Easiest way to remove this stick-on bling?

The PO had this stuff put onto the inner faring bits and pieces and I'm in the middle of a full repaint, wheels, and tires and this stuff needs to go. I'm thinking a blow dryer and pulling on it with plastic things and fingernails. I assume it's just double stick tape and hopefully I don't booger up the finish with Goo Gone or WD-40 to dissolve the adhesive from it once I have these off. I didn't want to paint the inner faring, but if this goes sideways while removing this crap, now's the time so I can get it redone at the paint shop while the rest of the bike is already there. Anybody ever pulled this stuff off? Probably not salvageable afterwards I presume, in case someone wanted these to use for their bike.........

Stick-on bling..........

Old 12-25-2018, 12:47 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

1. A hair dryer or heat gun set on LOW, just to gently warm up the adhesive. LOW!!
2. Using either monofilament fishing line or dental floss, wrap the thread around something like the handles of two screwdrivers. I like dental floss. It's less likely to leave marks on the paint.
3. Get started at one corner, and then gently work the thread back and forth as you saw the adhesive or double stick tape away from the painted surface. Try to keep the tension so that any rubbing back and forth is against the back side of the pieces you want to remove, and not against the paint.
4. When it's all off, use Goo-Gone, (NOT Goof-Off), and remove any remaining residue.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I’ve used 3m adhesive remover when removing tank medallions. Very effective and leaves no residue,

MotoJockey (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 11:01 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
1. A hair dryer or heat gun set on LOW, just to gently warm up the adhesive. LOW!!
2. Using either monofilament fishing line or dental floss, wrap the thread around something like the handles of two screwdrivers. I like dental floss. It's less likely to leave marks on the paint.
3. Get started at one corner, and then gently work the thread back and forth as you saw the adhesive or double stick tape away from the painted surface. Try to keep the tension so that any rubbing back and forth is against the back side of the pieces you want to remove, and not against the paint.
4. When it's all off, use Goo-Gone, (NOT Goof-Off), and remove any remaining residue.
Thought about using floss but not sure how easy it will be to maneuver it around all those weird shapes but I'll give that a whirl.

Funny twist to this situation, the reason I'm even painting this bike is because the PO boogered up the tank when he owned it attempting to remove the tank badges with maybe a flat bar? or something. Not sure, but he had a screamin' buzzard airbrushed on the sides like a bad cover up tattoo. Had he used this method, I'd probably just left the bike Charcoal Pearl for a really long time, but here I am, knee deep into this paint job project, lol.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:06 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
I’ve used 3m adhesive remover when removing tank medallions. Very effective and leaves no residue,
After you removed the badge and to get rid of just the adhesive? Or did you use it to help in the removal process? I wish I was removing this off of a nice painted surface like my tank but I'm a little leary of the finish on the inner faring.........

Old 12-25-2018, 11:15 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,366 Likes on 5,502 Posts

Heat , Goo Be gone and take your time. I have found nothing goo be gone will not clean up. Some stuff fast some slow but it works.

MotoJockey (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

It looks like that inner was painted at one time. That will make it easier to get the adhesive off. If they are not painted and they are the standard textured black it might be a B$%^$. I have 3M adhesive remover that works well for that. Goo gone works it just takes longer to dissolve the adhesive.

MotoJockey (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:10 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
It looks like that inner was painted at one time. That will make it easier to get the adhesive off. If they are not painted and they are the standard textured black it might be a B$%^$. I have 3M adhesive remover that works well for that. Goo gone works it just takes longer to dissolve the adhesive.
Yeah, the inner is gloss black from the factory. Not sure if it's actually painted or like a gel coat that some aftermarket mfg.'s use on the fairings and hard bags. That gel coat stuff is shiny but soft.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

If you are going to paint don't use wd-40 even around the bike it will leave a residue that just kind of lingers until you shoot paint then you will see fisheye no matter how much cleaning up you do.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by santajim
If you are going to paint don't use wd-40 even around the bike it will leave a residue that just kind of lingers until you shoot paint then you will see fisheye no matter how much cleaning up you do.
Thanks for the heads up, but luckily all the parts are at the painters getting prepped to shoot right now. With as much real estate as I'll have to clean up, a fresh bottle of Goo Gone is in order I think. I use WD-40 for small jobs like stickers and stuff.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to remove this stick-on bling?