Sponsored by:

Power loss after fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Power loss after fuel pump replacement

I have a 2014 Limited. It's been rode a bit and has 117k miles on the odometer, but the engine has never been touched whatsoever.

I started noticing the fuel pump making a lot of noise. It sounded like it was priming 100% of the time so I took it to my local dealer to look at because I have ESP. They determined the fuel pump needed to be replaced and did so.

When I got my bike back, I didn't make it a few hundred yards while rolling through the gears with about half throttle hits, and noticed an immediate loss in power. It felt like it was not getting enough fuel.

I immediately took it back and the dealer said that they need to reset the computer calibration for fuel because it must have adjusted for less fuel when I had the previous pump. They said after the reset, it takes 15 miles of learning. Ok, great, let's do it.

They did the reset and rode it and returned the bike to me saying it isn't skipping a beat. I took the bike out and sure enough it ran like I expected it to ... for 15 miles. As soon as I hit that 15 mile mark, poof, started having loss of power again. For example, in middle lane of the highway rolling at 70mph (speed limit in TX on most highways before you 55'ers tell me I am going too fast :P), approach slower traffic but need to speed up to safely move to left lane, roll on throttle and the power just isn't there, and surges a bit. So, I try the roll on over and over and it happens under load at half throttle. Once I get speed up to 80'ish, the air resistance places enough load to feel it come and go without having to roll on.

Just looking for ideas because my dealer swears they can't reproduce it. Maybe it isn't acting up for them. Maybe they ride it too gentle. I don't know. But each time I ride it, it acts up. After all the miles I put on this bike, I think I know what normal feels like, lol.

Just looking to see if anyone has had the same experience and how they resolved it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I'm thinking just ride it. It will take some miles for the long term memory cells to adjust the AFR to correct things. If it doesn't get better, might be time for new O2 sensors too?

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:23 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Just wondering if a hose connection, the filter shell, or the regulator could be leaking. I would ask them to check fuel pressure while the bike is running down the road, especially under a load at higher RPMs. Years ago I had a 2002 FLHTCUI that started acting up on the way back from Sturgis. It was barely able to hold 80 mph rolling down I-90. I also found that by running thru the gears, it would just flatten out a 4000 RPM in any gear. I stopped at a dealer in Iowa that was no help (the only time I've had a poor experience at a dealer, while on the road). They said they checked a few things, including fuel pressure and all was good. They attributed my problem to "worn cams". I rode it home (LI,NY) and took it to my local dealer who first said it need plug wires. Well plug wires didn't fix anything and eventually the tech hooked up a pressure gauge to the fuel line and took it down the road. That's when he found that the pump could not maintain the correct fuel pressure at higher RPMs. At idle & low RPMs all was good, but that don't get you down the road. Go luck, waiting to hear the fix.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 12-19-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Thanks Hammz & 14GuineaPig. I am going to pick up the bike and try to put a much of quick miles on it. I guess I can always knock out a quick ironbutt to put a 1000 or so miles on the new pump. Who knows, maybe something will blow up and give me a new motor under ESP, haha.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Sounds like a problem that won’t fix itself.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Sounds like they screwed up. There are little screens in the injectors.
They could have stopped them up.
They probably replace injectors since it is cheaper for them.
The FI pressure at idle is 65 and maintained like that with a bleed. I think that is mechanical with relief even on your bike.

It has that pressure idle thru WOT. It's probably right since if low, it also will not idle right.

I think they were talking about oxygen readings that ECM learns and uses.
It relearns that since it looses it with battery disconnected. Oxygen sensors are not a instantly back and forth read.

​​​​​​So until it relearns , it uses the canned program. However, that would not do what you say.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-20-2018 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:33 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Hoping to pick it back up today after work to see if it magically fixed itself. Hopefully I will have more feedback by tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Anyone know the part number for the OEM fuel injectors? Thinking I may just have them replaced.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:04 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Anyone know the part number for the OEM fuel injectors? Thinking I may just have them replaced.
27609-01B FUEL INJECTOR ASSEMBLY W/ O-RING $79.95

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpa...CTION_MODULE,_

The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:19 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Thanks HB! My google skills are failing me today.

Quick Reply: Power loss after fuel pump replacement