Sponsored by:

'15, '16, '17 Things to look for

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:02 PM
BillMcUltralow
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a '15 Ultra Classic Low and the "thing" I have to look out for is this:
I have started to lose interest in most of my other pursuits and find I spend most of my free waking hours with her, on her, riding her, cleaning her, thinking about her and what to do with/to/for her. It is no longer an 'It" and 'she' is beautiful.
I know, I have the disease, but I have always been addicted. This one just made it worse and I am blessed!!!

Old 10-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by BillMcUltralow
I have a '15 Ultra Classic Low and the "thing" I have to look out for is this:
I have started to lose interest in most of my other pursuits and find I spend most of my free waking hours with her, on her, riding her, cleaning her, thinking about her and what to do with/to/for her. It is no longer an 'It" and 'she' is beautiful.
I know, I have the disease, but I have always been addicted. This one just made it worse and I am blessed!!!
It must be some sort of "Contagious and/or Chronic Disease". My bike is only 2 years newer, but I have the same thing. :-)

Old 10-26-2018, 01:02 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I haven’t had any issues with my 15 SGS. Some people have had wheel bearings going out way too early. I replaced mine as a precaution when I had the wheels powder coated.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All good info guys I do appreciate it.

I know the internet is a thing that's scary, hell had I not known better after doing some reading I'd say my Wide Glide would need motor mounts, rear shocks, swing arm bushings, and wheel bearings replaced before I threw a leg over this death machine at only 6k miles! Haha.

You guys are awesome and I'll take as much info as I can, hell who knows maybe I'll end up with a new one this winter, but I'd like to think I could save a few bucks on one that's close to what I want without taking a hit.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

For at least three years not a day passed without a post on this forum regarding the POS Chinese coolant pump on the Harley Twin Cooled Touring Bikes. On and on and on it went. What kind of manufacturer would use such a piece of trash. Harley should recall every Twin Cooled touring bike and replace every coolant pump at their expense. 2 days ago @Jonesy82 asks if there is anything specific he should be aware of when shopping the '15 '16 or '17 bikes and not one mention of the coolant pump issue.

You've got to love the internet!!!!

Old 10-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What do the bottom of your forks have stamped in them? I'm sorry to say but for quite a long time HD's have been made with parts that came from over seas. That in particular could be posted up for discussion in another topic, I did however want to know what to look for in the touring models.

Thanks for your response!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:33 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a 2105 Twin Cooled Ultra Limited with a bit over 20K on the clock. I love the bike, so don't let the following scare you off. Just because I'm familiar with this bike's shortcomings, doesn't mean that other years/engines are any better or much worse.

What I'd pay attention to:
  • Water Pump. I have not had any issues with mine, but it certainly has been an issue with many. Harley has just recently released a "revised" Water Pump with installation kit P/N 26800107 that hopefully will eliminate this problem.
  • Transmission Clatter in Neutral at Idle with the Engine fully warmed up. This is not a durability thing, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Some do it, others do not. If pulling the clutch in under these conditions makes the noise go away . . . . the bike has this annoyance.
  • Have the Hydraulic Clutch and the Saddlebag Fastener Recalls been done? If not, these recalls should be taken care of ASAP.
  • Which side of the Handlebar is the CB PTT Switch on and will the Driving Lights stay on with the Low Beam turned "ON"? The CB PTT switch can be interchanged with the Cruise Control Switch. If this has been done, the CB PTT Switch will be on the Left side (so you don't have to take your hand off the Throttle to Transmit and/or adjust the Squelch). The Driving Lights can also be made to stay on with the Low Beam on. Both of these ankle bitter things can be changed, but they have to be programmed by a Dealer. Some Dealers do this reprogramming for free . . . . others not so much.
  • Is the Boom 6.5 System fully up to date? This isn't a difficult thing to remedy, but if there are strange quirks in the system, on a bike you're looking at; bringing the system up to date will probably cure it. The latest version is: 1.22.0.1 and this can be easily checked on one of the 6.5's displays.

The following users liked this post:
Jonesy82 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

'15's & 16's are Rushmores and a '17 is an M8. Narrow your search to the Rushmores only, IMO.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Test ride TC and M8 of same/similar model, then decide which you want. That will help focus your search.

Quick Reply: '15, '16, '17 Things to look for