Sponsored by:

George's Garage Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
Needed to replace front wheel bearings on the '14 FLHTK and bought George's bearing R&R set #740010. Now I've used his tooling before and have always been amazed with the quality and he again DID NOT disappoint. The set from George was again outstanding, absolutely professional grade. Reading reviews of other and cheaper options of stripping threads and galling, I can say this set pulled the bearings out as smooth as snot. Perhaps they only get used every few years, but I'm a tool junkie and totally happy with the purchase. A++, +10!!

If you are in the market for Harley tooling, I highly recommend George's Garage! Made in the good 'ol USA too...

George's kit is $190.

The JIMs tool kit is $325 but does not contain the 25 mm pulller and installer, which will cost another $65, for a total of $390.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:07 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Nothing better than tools that work for the purpose they've been designed for ... Free info, ALWAYS lube threads on any puller that you're using
Don't wanna ask how you know.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:27 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I can't say enough GREAT things about him! (or them)
A whilst back I ordered a main shaft tool.
He called me right up and said- "I am out of stock could I wait a day?"
My answer was-Sure
He overnighted it to me anyway!
That is service with quality!
A LOT of business could learn a thing or ten from this company.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
Needed to replace front wheel bearings on the '14 FLHTK and bought George's bearing R&R set #740010. Now I've used his tooling before and have always been amazed with the quality and he again DID NOT disappoint. The set from George was again outstanding, absolutely professional grade. Reading reviews of other and cheaper options of stripping threads and galling, I can say this set pulled the bearings out as smooth as snot. Perhaps they only get used every few years, but I'm a tool junkie and totally happy with the purchase. A++, +10!!

If you are in the market for Harley tooling, I highly recommend George's Garage! Made in the good 'ol USA too...

I realize this is an old thread.....
You used the wheel bearing remover tool on an open hub rim without a support plate? Did the puller cup mark or damage the rim?
You can use an old brake rotor as a support plate or can purchase something like the JIms #913, wheel bearing support plate to prevent any potential damage.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I realize this is an old thread.....
You used the wheel bearing remover tool on an open hub rim without a support plate? Did the puller cup mark or damage the rim?
You can use an old brake rotor as a support plate or can purchase something like the JIms #913, wheel bearing support plate to prevent any potential damage.
No I didn't, I was worried about maring the hub also, so I removed the brake rotor off an 2009 wheel I had laying around and put ti over the other brake rotor and it worked fine.. You can see from the picture that the inner hub diameter is much smaller and it fit over the 2015 OEM rotor. Where are you located on the East Coast?

Last edited by Sandcrab; 03-03-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Where are you located on the East Coast?
Northern NJ.

Tech Tip:
I've read that the wheel bearing tool can also be used to change the bearings in the rear sprocket.
George's bearing tool, and probably the others as well, come with 3 bearing insertion pilots. You'll only need one of them for the bearing. But the bolt is too long when doing the belt drive hub, so you need to stack the two unused insertion pilots to take up the slack on the big bolt. You'll also need to use something like an old brake rotor to spread the load over the sprocket assembly.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:43 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Honestly, the bearings don't pull out that hard. With this tool, it grabs evenly and pulls evenly, and didn't come close to leaving even a trace of a mark. Believe me, I'm as picky as they come, but to each his own...Just don't go off like a bull in a china shop on these projects and you'll be fine.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,680 Likes on 9,860 Posts

My buddt George never told me he started a tool company...hmm.......

Old 03-04-2019, 02:10 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Another happy "George's Tools" customer. I have quite a few of his tools. They never disapoint!

Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Northern NJ.

Tech Tip:
I've read that the wheel bearing tool can also be used to change the bearings in the rear sprocket.
George's bearing tool, and probably the others as well, come with 3 bearing insertion pilots. You'll only need one of them for the bearing. But the bolt is too long when doing the belt drive hub, so you need to stack the two unused insertion pilots to take up the slack on the big bolt. You'll also need to use something like an old brake rotor to spread the load over the sprocket assembly.

Yes that is true, you need to stack up the unused pilots and use an old brake rotor and it pulls them out just fine. Good luck.

Quick Reply: George's Garage Tools