Sponsored by:

Need Advice - Steering Head Bearing Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 718 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Need Advice - Steering Head Bearing Lubrication

I'd like some input on steering head bearing lubrication. The Service Manual says to inspect and lubricate the steering head bearings at 25,000 miles. I am at 31,000 milesand will have new tires installed this winter. I very likely will have the handlebars replaced as well although I may do it myself. Have you guys found it necessary to do the steering head bearing inspect/ lubrication at around 25K?? If so I'll do it with the tire change. If not I'll be looking at doing it around 47K to 50K miles. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:16 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,204 Likes on 7,372 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about bearing failure in the steering head over the years.

The manufacturer has a service schedule listed for a reason.

Safety first!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 09-29-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The old stuff used to go forever, but like newer wheel bearings from China their TBO is rather short.

Last edited by Kingglide549; 09-29-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:30 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,376 Likes on 5,507 Posts

What year bike , some had grease fittings newer ones don't. I have put 75,000 miles on an 07 and and never serviced the bearing other than 1 adjustment. But you read on the net of some that seem to being changing the every time you turn around. Ride until you notice any issue and if you do have it do right away. I have to this day never had a neck bearing fail.
Because I put a trike front end on my 2017 RGU it was all a part at 13,500 miles. The bearings and races were like new. I have them sealed up along with the other parts. My general rule is if something is being take apart for any reason , replace wear parts while you have it apart.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieDog
I'd like some input on steering head bearing lubrication. The Service Manual says to inspect and lubricate the steering head bearings at 25,000 miles. I am at 31,000 milesand will have new tires installed this winter. I very likely will have the handlebars replaced as well although I may do it myself. Have you guys found it necessary to do the steering head bearing inspect/ lubrication at around 25K?? If so I'll do it with the tire change. If not I'll be looking at doing it around 47K to 50K miles. Thanks.
I just had my tires replaced at 22K miles and asked my Indy (highly trusted and well respected in my area) about the head bearing thing with me approaching 25K miles, I'm thinking a complete disassembly and inspection at 25K and a pricey bill is in my future. He told me they (he) check the head bearings every time they do a service or tires. He said their work stands (unlike Harley's which is a "platform" type) pick the bike from the center (frame) and allow the wheels to "dangle"/hang, allowing them to check the movement of the bearings, mainly the front-to-back movement. I questioned how bearings with such little use (we do lean in turns and even bar movement is less than 180* lock to lock) could go bad. He said the bearings get worn in the front and back because of the constant jarring on the road, when you hit bumps or potholes the movement of the whole steering assembly is front to back and eventually it wears little grooves/notches in the front and back of the bearing. He mentioned another test which he did on my bike, he did a road test, brought the bike up to 50 MPH in 5th. gear and CAREFULLY let go of the bars as he allowed the bike to decelerate, he said if the head bearings are bad you'd get wobble or excessive movement. He did check mine and everything was good and I just got back from 1600 miles on the road and the bike was perfect. I also asked him to check the wheel bearings while the tires were off, he did and all good there too. Now you might get other opinions saying this is all BS but as I noted, my guy is VERY well respected, same 2 mechanics been there forever, I totally trust him. Good luck...

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 09-29-2018 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nocoast (04-05-2020)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:49 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieDog
Personally, I've never lubed the steering head bearings on any bike I've ever owned, regardless of mileage. Never had the slightest problem as a result, either, FWIW.

No plans to "F" with 'em on either of my current bikes.

IMO, the only reason the MoCo recommends it is to help their dealerships rip off their customers by doing completely unnecessary and expensive "maintenance" at their ridiculously high (for what you actually get for your money) shop rates.

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-29-2018 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:36 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 718 Likes on 326 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback. I've seen a lot of discussion on wheel bearings but dont recall much on the steering head. I live in a smaller city with only the HD dealer and one small Indy, who I haven't used. The dealer's track record is mixed, which I assume reflects personnel changes. The roads I usually ride are in fairly good shape so not too much pounding on the bearings, but I did ride it to Alaska 3 years ago. They lay on lots of crap on the roads to keep dust down. Probably will get it done sincebthey will have the wheel off already for the tires. Again, thnx for the input. I don't ride with any other Harley riders so the forum is very helpful.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:47 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts

newer bikes have no zerk in the neck? or am I recalling incorrectly

Old 09-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,010 Likes on 4,200 Posts

These tapered roller bearings require little service from what I have seen.
Guess it depends on the road conditions and how hard you drive
I try to miss manhole covers and such.

Mine said to disassemble and inspect at 30K.
What a waste. They looked brand new.

All kinds of bad info out there on how to service and such. No telling what has gone on with yours.
Do what and how the service manual says

Then you will know.
Totally waste of time to listen to anyone who does not do his own work.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,927 Likes on 19,372 Posts

Use a grease that won't "run"

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Steering Head Bearing Lubrication