Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

drill 2 tiny holes in the brass and use snap ring pliers to hold it

Old 12-07-2022, 03:16 PM
JEF2SEIA
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower fairing two screws spinning with the brass nuts

Thank you Reno8220 and Kurt Russel. Worked on my 2019 FLHTK. I ended up doing both your tips. After drilling out the right side two screws i thought "There's got to be a better way"! On the other side of the bike, I drilled two holes 180 degrees apart on the flange part of the brass nut (zert, nell nut, etc). Then broke a tip on the snap ring pliers. Drilled holes a little bit bigger for larger Snap-On snap ring plier tips. Felt like it was going to break too. What the heck! I thought I'd try heating the head of the screws. I used my Weller soldering gun on 140Watt. Held it against screw head for about 3 minutes. AMAZING. The frickin' Loctite unlocked. What took hours on the right side took minutes on the left. AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!
PS: I called the dealership where I bought the bike and talked to the parts dept. I wanted to see if they had a rebuild kit for the brass nut. No such luck. The parts guy was nice enough to talk to a technician. The tech said he had different tricks to deal with it but he couldn't share because he didn't want to be responsible for damages. I was welcome to bring the bike in.
PS2: This all started because I was installing the custom dynamics lowers radiator ring light kits. Easy 1 hour job. LOL.

***WELL, if anybody is going to remove these screws, start by heating the screw head. Life will be a lot simpler. ***

If anybody has a picture of the brass nut removed from the fairing could you post. A person could probably make a good living selling a rebuild kit. Something like a blind nut and expoxy, nut zert, or a nell nut. But, we wouldn't need if the engineers designed it better. AAARRRGGG!!!