Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

import incomplete nav database full

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018 | 11:03 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
Can you let me know where you got that from? I think that is only for creating routes on the BOOM!. From the 2018 BOOM! manual (Pg 163) it states:
See Figure 145. Ride Planner exports each pair of locations as a separate trip (even though the entire Ride Planner route is exported as a single GPX file). In the example, the route from Location 1 to Location 2 (with the intermediate waypoints) is exported as a trip. The route from Location 2 to Location 3 is exported as a separate trip.
The Boom! Box navigation system does not differentiate between locations and waypoints. All items are imported as destinations. When plotting a route, remember that each trip can only include a total of nine destinations.
• Ride Planner exports locations and waypoints into the GPX file. It does not export the highlighted route. The exact routing between destinations may be calculated differently within the radio than shown in Ride Planner. To plot a particular path, you may need to add waypoints along the desired route. Also, the route calculation can be affect by system settings such as route preferences (scenic, fastest, shortest or twisty) and avoidances (such as toll roads, unpaved roads and so on). See Route Preferences and Avoidances (Page 146).
I don't know where he got that from, but I do remember the early software had a 9 destination limitation. Since then there was a software update for the GT and it upped the number to 99.

I tried a very high number of waypoints, but found it to not be as friendly as I hoped, so I keep mine to 20 or less if I can.

I was able to create my whole IBA 48 in 10 ride in just two GPX files and they worked just fine. As you may imagine, that's a lot of waypoints!

Old 09-07-2018 | 11:08 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

It should be noted that the BOOM! Nav only allows for nine (9) waypoints per segment.
Not true at all.

I create custom routes all the time using more waypoints than that.
Both of the below routes imported to Boom just fine, and the system followed each one exactly.

Here is a custom route I created for a Black Hills ride using 14 waypoints.

And here is another custom route I created for a ride in Northwest Arkansas using 17 waypoints.

Old 09-07-2018 | 11:10 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
To save space, when you import your ride, do not select the first option, aka 'all'. Select the second option, which will be named the same as the ride name. That will import the whole ride, but not fill up the memory by saving each waypoint as locations in the nav system.
This!

Using the "Select All" option will fill up the system memory.
Everything you need to navigate and complete the ride is stored in the named ride.

Old 09-07-2018 | 11:31 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

You guys and your dern "High tech" computerized motorcycles..........

Old 09-07-2018 | 12:57 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Can you let me know where you got that from? I think that is only for creating routes on the BOOM!. From the 2018 BOOM! manual (Pg 163) it states:
See Figure 145. Ride Planner exports each pair of locations as a separate trip (even though the entire Ride Planner route is exported as a single GPX file). In the example, the route from Location 1 to Location 2 (with the intermediate waypoints) is exported as a trip. The route from Location 2 to Location 3 is exported as a separate trip.
The Boom! Box navigation system does not differentiate between locations and waypoints. All items are imported as destinations. When plotting a route, remember that each trip can only include a total of nine destinations.
• Ride Planner exports locations and waypoints into the GPX file. It does not export the highlighted route. The exact routing between destinations may be calculated differently within the radio than shown in Ride Planner. To plot a particular path, you may need to add waypoints along the desired route. Also, the route calculation can be affect by system settings such as route preferences (scenic, fastest, shortest or twisty) and avoidances (such as toll roads, unpaved roads and so on). See Route Preferences and Avoidances (Page 146).
Page 12, Features & Specifications, 2018 Boom! Manual:

Old 09-07-2018 | 01:01 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
I don't know where he got that from, but I do remember the early software had a 9 destination limitation. Since then there was a software update for the GT and it upped the number to 99.

I tried a very high number of waypoints, but found it to not be as friendly as I hoped, so I keep mine to 20 or less if I can.

I was able to create my whole IBA 48 in 10 ride in just two GPX files and they worked just fine. As you may imagine, that's a lot of waypoints!
I have found that the 6.5GT can handle 40-45 points OK. More than that will bog the system down. Spec says up to 99. Might work? IDK, but I find it works better to break down a long ride into "bite-sized" segments.

Old 09-07-2018 | 01:39 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RollaMo
This!

Using the "Select All" option will fill up the system memory.
Everything you need to navigate and complete the ride is stored in the named ride.
Not necessarily. If you have a GPX file with a couple of routes within the file (& have verified the unneeded "stuff" has been removed, both routes can be imported using the ALL option. When you start a route, it will list the route names, but not the GPX file name used to import both routes. I've attached a text version of an example of this (html code).

The GPX file name is
ABC Charity Ride Route 2007 rev 2.gpx

The two routes within that GPX file are
ABC Charity Ride Out
ABC Charity Ride Return

It's loaded as one file, but two separate routes.

GPX file name at the top. Route names in pull-down position list

This is the 1st route

This is the 2nd route

Attached Files

Last edited by Hammz; 09-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.