2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

import incomplete nav database full

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018 | 03:58 PM
yowflhtk
Cruiser

I get the same message and despite the message saying the import is incomplete, the routes seem to work fine.

Old 09-04-2018 | 07:21 PM
Sillyusername
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone who has responded, to answer the last couple posts. I have nothing saved anywhere in the GPS to include my previous saved home address. I did a new import, received the same message and checked and I don't have any trips or routes saved. I guess Hamms post concerning the files size is the issue. I'll just use my phone with 64 GB of storage instead....

Old 09-04-2018 | 10:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Sillyusername
Thanks everyone who has responded, to answer the last couple posts. I have nothing saved anywhere in the GPS to include my previous saved home address. I did a new import, received the same message and checked and I don't have any trips or routes saved. I guess Hamms post concerning the files size is the issue. I'll just use my phone with 64 GB of storage instead....
My comments are purely speculation, based on my experience addressing a similar issue with a new 6.5GT user who was very experienced using Garmin hardware/software (Basecamp). I found unused information in her GPX files but don't recall exactly what it was. I know I was able reduce her size size using Route Converter & deleting all data sets except the route data set, then saving as a GPS exchange format 1.0 then reopening & saving as a GPS exchange format 1.1

Copied from a past email exchange:

There is a method to save just the Route information:
  • open the file
  • select & delete the track position list
  • select the PositionList menu item on the menu bar
  • select Export to a File option
  • select the save location
  • type in the name for your Route's GPX file name
  • ensure it is a 1.0 GPX file type (this option will strip the Track Positionlist from the saved file)
  • select Save

This should save only the route(s) position list data. Again, this file has far too many positions (as identified by the value in the Position Count field) to work on the bike.

Old 09-05-2018 | 06:35 AM
Sillyusername
3rd Gear

Thanks Hamm I really do appreicate you taking the time provide this information. I'm an IT Manager and even for me these steps along with the previous steps I've taken seem far to technical for non-IT person. I'm curious do you go through all these steps every time you make a route? Is there another easier method that doesn't involve a cost to import a route?

Old 09-05-2018 | 01:24 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sillyusername
Thanks Hamm I really do appreicate you taking the time provide this information. I'm an IT Manager and even for me these steps along with the previous steps I've taken seem far to technical for non-IT person. I'm curious do you go through all these steps every time you make a route? Is there another easier method that doesn't involve a cost to import a route?
I used to create a route using MS Streets & Trips, then imported the *.EST file into Route Converter, did some edits & adjustments to the route & saved it as a *.GPX file. Google now requires an API key & Route Converter no longer works. I have an older version of Route Converter that works w/Google Maps, but won't import the *.EST files (that conversion was added to a later version that requires the Google API key). I am now using H-D Ride Planner or the older version of Route Converter, depending upon what I'm doing. It's pretty easy to create routes from scratch using Route Converter. I just make sure I do incremental saves because the program sometimes crashes while importing map data from Google Maps.

I've been making an effort to become proficient with Ride Planner; it's easier w/Route Converter, but don't trust it to always work with Google's muscle. H-D Ride Planner will (can?) create multiple routes within the GPX file, based on the number of points that are "destinations" so when loading those type of GPX files, select the ALL operation in the import menu. You can toggle each point between destination & waypoint in H-D Ride Planner. It will affect both GPX file structure & how you load/use the file. If you only need to load a single segment from the multi route GPX file, just scroll & select that route to import that segment (as opposed to all for multiple routes).

Old 09-05-2018 | 07:15 PM
Sillyusername
3rd Gear

Thanks again Hamm! For chitz and giggles I tried HD Ride Planner not expecting to have satisfactory results. However, I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised with the results. I was able to easily recreate (I didn't try to import the GPX file) the route I planned in Google Maps, Not to mention the final GPX file turned out to be a tenth of the size of the one I created with GPS visualizer.

After importing the file into the GPS everything appears to be good. I'd like to preview the route on the GPS but I don't seem to be able to or just not able to find the function.

Thanks again for hanging in there and offering the great advice.
Stan

Old 09-06-2018 | 09:32 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer
Veteran: Army

It should be noted that the BOOM! Nav only allows for nine (9) waypoints per segment. So it will break down each "trip" into a start location, end location and 9 shaping points. These are important because regardless of how the route is made (avoidances, etc) it will be recreated by the BOO! Nav. On such a long route, the BOOM! is running out of memory because it is breaking down the trip into multiple segments.

Old 09-06-2018 | 09:37 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
It should be noted that the BOOM! Nav only allows for nine (9) waypoints per segment. So it will break down each "trip" into a start location, end location and 9 shaping points. These are important because regardless of how the route is made (avoidances, etc) it will be recreated by the BOO! Nav. On such a long route, the BOOM! is running out of memory because it is breaking down the trip into multiple segments.
This was true for early versions of the 6.5GT software. Current version of the software allows many more. This is from the 2018 6.5GT manual:

Old 09-07-2018 | 09:24 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

To save space, when you import your ride, do not select the first option, aka 'all'. Select the second option, which will be named the same as the ride name. That will import the whole ride, but not fill up the memory by saving each waypoint as locations in the nav system.

Old 09-07-2018 | 10:31 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Hammz
This was true for early versions of the 6.5GT software. Current version of the software allows many more. This is from the 2018 6.5GT manual:

Can you let me know where you got that from? I think that is only for creating routes on the BOOM!. From the 2018 BOOM! manual (Pg 163) it states:
See Figure 145. Ride Planner exports each pair of locations as a separate trip (even though the entire Ride Planner route is exported as a single GPX file). In the example, the route from Location 1 to Location 2 (with the intermediate waypoints) is exported as a trip. The route from Location 2 to Location 3 is exported as a separate trip.
The Boom! Box navigation system does not differentiate between locations and waypoints. All items are imported as destinations. When plotting a route, remember that each trip can only include a total of nine destinations.
• Ride Planner exports locations and waypoints into the GPX file. It does not export the highlighted route. The exact routing between destinations may be calculated differently within the radio than shown in Ride Planner. To plot a particular path, you may need to add waypoints along the desired route. Also, the route calculation can be affect by system settings such as route preferences (scenic, fastest, shortest or twisty) and avoidances (such as toll roads, unpaved roads and so on). See Route Preferences and Avoidances (Page 146).

Quick Reply: import incomplete nav database full