Sponsored by:

White Helmet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default White Helmet???

Anyone wearing a White Helmet?? It has been suggested (more viability?) I have had wearing black helmets since I was a kid (long *** time ago, lol) I 'think' I would feel like a cop???

So - who has gone 'White' and if so, Why

I did start a post about heat Black vs White... This post is Only to see just how many riders have switched to White??

Tks...

Last edited by harley0711; 07-17-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:10 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,973 Likes on 11,628 Posts

I know guys that have white. And some that have florescent Yellow. Of course they are more visible than black. Your choice.

edit: I’ve also been told that the CHP doesn’t have anything more bright than the blue & gold, because brighter colors become fixation targets.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 07-17-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a white Shoei 3/4 helmet (J Cruise). I picked white because it's definitely cooler on hot sunny days than a black one. Black may look more stylish, but I'm all about comfort, not looks. And it has the added bonus of being a little more visible.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I have a high vis yellow dualsport helmet. People tend to give you more space and anything that helps me be seen with these idiot drivers is a good thing.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

I went from white to high-viz yellow. I also wear a high-viz jacket.

Short story; heading south from Idaho to southern California for this year's Run For The Wall, as usual, we hit rain. Six of us in pretty good rain, passing trucks in the spray. I'm running 2nd, wingman position. We stop for gas, and the rest of the guys told me:

"You need to stay up front. We can't see anybody in front of us except you and your helmet and jacket. We're all just following you."

'nuff said.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 AM
benford46
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

3 helmets all white,head stays cooler.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:40 AM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

For the "be seen" effect you need something that changes.

Even an all white helmet will get ignored after a while by the driver behind (a new driver will see it OK but the same guy behind will start to mentally ignore it).

What about a metallic fleck paint helmet? Blue with bright silver flecks that coruscate in the sunlight (or streetlights)?
If the thing is always changing then it's always being noticed by the brain.

In this video - imagine the rectangle wasn't moving but was flickering in sunlight.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 AM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I run a course le, one has some graphics and the other has some stickers. I am right for any distance I tend to wear a reflective Harley jacket or reflective Harley vest. It's really just for peace of mind and in my worst accident was wearing that exact outfit and a dumbass truck hit me anyway 😡

Old 07-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Many years ago the AMA did a study on helmet colors. The results were that wearing a white helmet made you 40% more visible than any other color. I have two white ones, a Harley half helmet and a Nolan modular full face. I were them when it gets really hot here in SC. My wife has a black helmet. It's amazing when we stop and sit them on the seat for a bit, come back and the white feels cool as expected, her black one is very hot to the touch.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

My helmet is Silver with a fad to black, from a distance it definitely looks more silver. My reason for picking it was strictly because it was the model that had the fit and features I wanted and that was my color choice of that model. My wife on the other hand went from black to white helmets a couple years ago to be honest the visibility was not the leading factor, she felt it would not be as hot as a black or darker color helmet in the MS summer heat. I have no idea if in reality that really holds true but she believes it does so that was enough for me LOL

Quick Reply: White Helmet???