Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Helmet???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 663 Posts

Someone did a test on helmet colors and internal temps a while ago. I don’t remember the article. But there was no measurable temp difference internally between a white helmet and a black one.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:16 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Someone did a test on helmet colors and internal temps a while ago. I don’t remember the article. But there was no measurable temp difference internally between a white helmet and a black one.
Try the common sense approach rather than some study
White helmets and white motorcycles are much more visible than black and other dark colors.
No brain needed for that
White colored objects will remain much cooler in the direct sun than dark or black objects- Gee wililkers Mr Wizard that is a law of physics....

Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Love white helmets and white bikes. Most of my helmets have been black or white, but I do currently have a Shoei GT Air in hi-vis, but don’t use it because I hate full face helmets. I hope to spring for a white Shoei Neotec II. White because I love the color, it’s cooler and more visible.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Originally Posted by ADVNTR
Try the common sense approach rather than some study
White helmets and white motorcycles are much more visible than black and other dark colors.
No brain needed for that
White colored objects will remain much cooler in the direct sun than dark or black objects- Gee wililkers Mr Wizard that is a law of physics....
I think you’ve missed the point of the study and measuring internal temperatures, which is where a riders brain is. The shell temp of a helmet is not relevant to rider comfort as long as heat doesn’t affect the inside.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
I think you’ve missed the point of the study and measuring internal temperatures, which is where a riders brain is. The shell temp of a helmet is not relevant to rider comfort as long as heat doesn’t affect the inside.
The point of the study is pointless - the external temp of the helmet does affect the internal temp - that is a law of physics
Why don't you try a white helmet and see for yourself, just like a riding a dark colored bike vs a light colored one
It is hilarious to see you all dressed in your black uniforms with t shirts full of silk screen that help overheat you on a HOT day
Obviously looking cool not being cool in hot temperatures superceeds safety
Heat creates fatigue
Fatigue makes you crash

Superman to the rescue

Old 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 663 Posts

The point of the study is pointless - the external temp of the helmet does affect the internal temp - that is a law of physics
Why don't you try a white helmet and see for yourself, just like a riding a dark colored bike vs a light colored one
It is hilarious to see you all dressed in your black uniforms with t shirts full of silk screen that help overheat you on a HOT day
Heat creates fatigue
Fatigue makes you crash

Superman to the rescue
Well until you conduct a study, using temp probes inside the helmet, I’m going to trust a study where the tester did.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Heat creates fatigue
Fatigue makes you crash

Superman to the rescue
If physics says it's so, I presume it's so; however, I can tell you from personal experience, the hardtop on my Wrangler [black on the outside, white on the inside] get's brutely hot on the inside during hot, sunny summer days. In fact, if I clear snow from the roof in the winter and it's sunny, the interior roof is warm to the touch [not to mention any remaining snow on the roof melts within 10-15 minutes regardless of the external temperature.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

I wear a white helmet because it's cooler. I put graphics on it so it's not so bland.