Sponsored by:

Black helmet - hotter than lighter color or Matt Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
2ROWDY
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
.if you persist on using facts to settle discussion on here there may be a lot shorter threads congratulations i have not seen this before

Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Black (Helmet, leather, whatever) may be cool, but black gear may as well be camouflage up against black asphalt. It's also hotter, but you won't notice the difference on a helmet with EPS (styrofoam) insulation, which is just about any quality helmet. All 6 of my helmets are white.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

.if you persist on using facts to settle discussion on here there may be a lot shorter threads congratulations i have not seen this before
So using that video as “facts”, we’ve cleared up that the white helmet is cooler than the black when they’re just sitting in the sun. Which is fine for all the garage queen owners who don’t ride.

Why didn’t the guy go for a 20 minute ride wearing each, stop, and immediately take the same temp measurements to see if there was a difference when it matters most, when you’re actually wearing and riding with them on? Just think about a regular quick ride. Each helmet would experience, wind, sun, shade, etc.

Those “facts” don’t say much at all when you think about it.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 07-17-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

All those extra absorbed calories of heat the black helmet has must go somewhere. Some will go to surrounding environment via radiation and conduction and some conducted and absorbed by the cranium inside the helmet thereby raising the temp of your head more than the lighter color helmet. Simple physics.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

So using that video as “facts”, we’ve cleared up that the white helmet is cooler than the black when they’re just sitting in the sun. Which is fine for all the garage queen owners who don’t ride.

Why didn’t the guy go for a 20 minute ride wearing each, stop, and immediately take the same temp measurements to see if there was a difference when it matters most, when you’re actually wearing and riding with them on? Just think about a regular quick ride. Each helmet would experience, wind, sun, shade, etc.

Those “facts” don’t say much at all when you think about it.
i guess my facts are not your facts there is a lot of that going around i am satisfied with this test you can think white is not cooler than black if u wish its your head.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

i guess my facts are not your facts there is a lot of that going around i am satisfied with this test you can think white is not cooler than black if u wish its your head.
I agreed with the video that white is cooler than black when both are simply placed in the sun for an hour. The video showed that.

What it failed to show was the temps outside and inside of the helmets during or immediately after a ride, you know, when a helmet is needed to be worn (unless you need a helmet on all of the time because you fall a lot).

The wind going over the helmets will reduce that surface temp shown in the video by a substantial amount no matter what the color is. Add in the insulation factor of the styrofoam lining and the helmet’s ability to vent, I bet the temp difference between white and black would be negligible, especially with regards to the rider’s “scalp thermometer”.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 07-18-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Thermodynamics was evidently not taught at some folks institutions of higher learning. It is a zero sum game.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Thermodynamics was evidently not taught at some folks institutions of higher learning. It is a zero sum game.
You’re right, I didn’t take thermodynamics in college. So why is this the case then? Wouldn’t the wind effectively be stripping some of that heat away from the helmet compared to when it’s just sitting in the sun like in the video? This would slow down the heat transfer into the helmet and through the insulation to your head wouldn’t it?

When I got into my truck today, I put my hand on the roof. It was pretty damn hot since it was sitting in the direct sun for 3 hours. I got on the highway, traveled 21.5 miles and had to stop at a store. When I came to a stop, I touched the roof again and it wasn’t near as hot as when I first left (full sun the entire time, windows down, no AC running). How come it wasn’t the same temp as at the start??

Even if the temps of the helmets after a ride still showed a disparity with the white being cooler, would those temps even be enough to notice by the rider to really make a difference when purchasing a new helmet?? I’d like to see a test done after a ride to see how much of a difference there would be inside the helmet since surface temps don’t necessarily translate to what you’d feel with the helmet on.

Im honestly asking and looking for an honest answer because I like to learn. Teach me Sierra!

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 07-20-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,446 Likes on 3,599 Posts

I paint all my helmets flat white. I have three. Same reason as ZZ, cooler and more visible.