Sponsored by:

Front Brake Does Not Disengage the Cruise Cont

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018 | 10:45 AM
JCBGlide
|
Tourer
Default Front Brake Does Not Disengage the Cruise Cont

014 SGS ..... Just recently noticed this. I did search but didn't see the same issue - Cruise works, brake lights work w/ Brake Lever engagement, can disengage the Cruise by rolling back the throttle or using the Rear Brake but the Front Brake engagement doesn't disengage the Cruise. I looked inside the hand controls but can't tell that anything looks bad or a loose connection.

Figured I'd ask here before digging into Elect Diagnostics which I'm not good at or a Dealer visit which I don't want to do, but may have to.

All Comments / Suggestions appreciated.

Old 06-30-2018 | 10:51 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Are you certain that the front brake lever (alone) engages the brake light?

Old 06-30-2018 | 11:09 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Max is right. Check to see if the brake light works with the front lever and if it doesnt i would check to see if the brake light switch needs a shim so the lever is making contact.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018 | 03:15 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

The brake light switch for the front brake is what also disengages the cruise. The lever keeps the switch depressed (brake light off) until it is squeezed, then the small tab moves and the switch is released (brake light comes on). I had this issue and it was intermittent. Most of the time everything would work right but then sometimes it would not. If applying the front brake doesn’t disengage the cruise, it doesn’t light up the brake light - huge safety issue. I temporarily fixed the problem on a trip by applying some wd-40 to the switch because it was sticking (not releasing fully). The real fix is to replace the entire switch pack. I ended up upgrading to the lighted ones because they weren’t much more expensive than the plain replacements. The lighted ones are $250 msrp but around 200 online several places.

Old 06-30-2018 | 04:06 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Have you changed the levers recently ... Might have lost that "little piece" in the master that the lever contacts ??

Old 06-30-2018 | 05:02 PM
JCBGlide
|
Tourer

As I said, the Brake Lights do work w/ the Lever & I haven't changed anything, it's stock. Took it out today & tested it again. I did get the Cruise to disengage but I had to almost lock the front wheel up to do it, way past the point of the Brake engagement & lights. So, I guess something is either out of adjustment, worn or something else. Ill keep digging. ..... Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018 | 06:53 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JCBGlide
As I said, the Brake Lights do work w/ the Lever & I haven't changed anything, it's stock. Took it out today & tested it again. I did get the Cruise to disengage but I had to almost lock the front wheel up to do it, way past the point of the Brake engagement & lights. So, I guess something is either out of adjustment, worn or something else. Ill keep digging. ..... Thanks
Good luck and let us know if you figure out something else, but it is probably the switch pack. The first time it happened to me was last fall and I couldn’t reproduce it. I thought maybe it was due to moisture after riding in the rain. Nearly forgot about it until it happened again this spring. Again I couldn’t reproduce it, everything would work perfectly fine. About a month ago it stopped working and I finally figured out the switch was sticking. Some lube on the switch helped for about a week but I found myself checking my brake light at each stop and half the time it would not light with the front lever.

Old 07-01-2018 | 01:13 AM
Grouser62
Road Master

A couple months ago I had the same problem with my 2015 Ultra right after I got caught in a dust storm. By the next day it had corrected itself, telling me the switch got coated/dirty. Through more use the switch will clean itself up. If everything else in the right switch pack works I wouldn't rush into a new one. Meantime be ready to disengage cruise by other means.

Old 07-01-2018 | 06:54 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

I had to replace the switch housing when it happened on my 2014 SGS. Till then, just roll your throttle forward to shut the cruise off.

Old 07-01-2018 | 04:21 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JCBGlide
014 SGS ..... Just recently noticed this. I did search but didn't see the same issue - Cruise works, brake lights work w/ Brake Lever engagement, can disengage the Cruise by rolling back the throttle or using the Rear Brake but the Front Brake engagement doesn't disengage the Cruise. I looked inside the hand controls but can't tell that anything looks bad or a loose connection.

Figured I'd ask here before digging into Elect Diagnostics which I'm not good at or a Dealer visit which I don't want to do, but may have to.

All Comments / Suggestions appreciated.
Same thing happened to me and I had to replace the right side switch module. In 2014 Harley changed from the old sets of switches to a complete module in a housing that controls all the function on the handlebar. It was like a $350 fix but I had an ESP and it was $50 for me.