Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three week old Yuasa GYZ32HL dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018 | 12:38 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

I couldn't agree more. After all the trouble I had to go through. Not getting any satisfaction one way or the other with "SASK Battery" here in Canada, Dawn from Yuasa U.S.A. shipped a new GYZ 32HL (OCV 13.45) right to my door with all customs and duties paid. I'd say she's a pretty fricken good customer sales rep.

Old 06-26-2018 | 08:15 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior

I’m old school and learned this as a kid and still live by it. Never put a vehicle battery on the concrete even if for 1 minute. That battery will not last but a month before going dead. It may not have been you that put it on the concrete but maybe the store. Now many will jump in and say that’s old wives tale and technology has changed. Maybe so but I’m not having battery trouble and the non believers do. Ever wonder why the battery rack at the stores are 6” off the ground? If you have to put it down put it on a block of wood or some other insulator.

Old 06-26-2018 | 08:35 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I’m old school and learned this as a kid and still live by it. Never put a vehicle battery on the concrete even if for 1 minute. That battery will not last but a month before going dead. It may not have been you that put it on the concrete but maybe the store. Now many will jump in and say that’s old wives tale and technology has changed. Maybe so but I’m not having battery trouble and the non believers do. Ever wonder why the battery rack at the stores are 6” off the ground? If you have to put it down put it on a block of wood or some other insulator.
I'll say one thing...It won't hurt you to follow your beliefs

Old 06-26-2018 | 03:01 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Very interesting:

Dear Tom and Ray:

This business of batteries and concrete floors needs to be explained and put to rest. Years ago, everybody knew that you were never supposed to put a car battery on a
concrete floor because it would be quickly ruined. That statement was absolutely true, but they weren't talking about the BATTERY being ruined, they were talking
about the CONCRETE FLOOR!

Batteries used to be "topped off" with water, which resulted in acid being spattered about. If you put one on a concrete floor without carefully washing it, the acid ate
into the concrete, quickly ruining the floor. It didn't hurt the battery one bit, but people who misunderstood the advice and wanted to appear knowledgeable came up
with all sorts of foolish explanations as to why the battery should be ruined. Even an acid-spattered battery will not leak its charge into the earth. There may be leakage
across the terminals of a "top-post" battery, but that would be slight.

So here's the story: If a battery is clean, you can safely put it on your concrete floor. If it's acid-spattered, put it on somebody else's concrete floor or stick a board under
it. -- Clay

RAY: Clay, you sound so utterly convincing. If it were up to me, I'd buy your story lock, stock and barrel. But my brother says you're full of baloney.

TOM: The GFCA (Garage Floor Cleaners of America) may indeed have had a hand in keeping batteries off concrete floors. But the real concern WAS the batteries.

RAY: Thirty years ago or so, most battery casings were made of hard rubber. And because of the porosity of that material, battery acid would sometimes seep through
the rubber and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery.

TOM: But that can't happen today with plastic-cased batteries. That's because molded polypropylene (a k a plastic), is not porous at all.

RAY: So today, you can put your battery on a concrete floor for as long as you want. And here's the interesting thing, Clay. The cooler the temperature, the slower a
battery's rate of discharge. And because concrete is often cooler than its surroundings, leaving a modern battery on a concrete floor might actually make it last
LONGER.

Old 07-03-2018 | 05:51 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior

Well let’s put this concrete ruining batteries. Next person to purchase a battery go ahead and place it on the concrete for an hour before installing. And if that battery goes out do the same with your second one just Incase that first was a fluke. Please report back in 2-3 months

Old 07-03-2018 | 06:12 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

It doesn’t matter what brand you buy, you’re gonna get a dud somewhere, sometime...

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (07-03-2018)