Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three week old Yuasa GYZ32HL dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018 | 11:01 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

So it sounds like the wrench in the works here is not Yuasa but the distributor (Sask?). Crappy customer service by them, all they have to do is take the battery back, send it back to Yuasa and get their refund from them, pretty easy. If, as cycle said you paid with a CC that's definitely the way to go, it has worked fr me in the past. And after all is done make sure you write a review on social media about the bad customer service you received from this distributor.

And as for a replacement battery, Big Crank, Deka, OEM Harley battery all made by the same company, East Penn, I've been using their line for years and NEVER had a problem...good luck!

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 06-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ilikeyourthinking (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018 | 11:34 AM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

I did pay with a credit card through Paypal. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go this way, but? Anyways, often when a small company gets their money(as in this case, SASK Battery) and there is a problem, they are not willing to refund or replace. Customer service in many respects is not what it used to be.

Old 06-08-2018 | 11:37 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Then - my suggestion - get your credit card refund, get a new battery elsewhere and move on. Weather is too nice to not having a running bike right now.

Old 06-08-2018 | 11:56 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser

I bought the same model battery at the end of January because my stock battery didn't seem to want to spin the bike up quite like it should on those winter days when the engine was still cold. The first few weeks, all was good. Then I didn't get to ride any for over a month, and the next time I tried to start the bike it just clicked. The battery was on a Battery Tender Jr, so I charged the battery up and put a different brand tender on it. Checked it 4 days later and everything was good, bike started ok. Didn't get to ride for another three weeks, and next time I hit the starter, just clicks. So, I made sure to charge up the original battery and put it back in. I put the original Battery Tender Jr back on the original battery and the bike has started with no problems every time since. (And yes, I had to wait another 3 weeks before I stated the bike up again, this time it spun up normally.) So I have left the original battery in since then and have had no problems starting the bike (now that it is warmer).

Yeah, I know...that's a long time, but I have had higher priority things going on and haven't tried to get it resolve, especially since the original battery is working okay for now.

I purchased the new battery through Amazon via one of their partners. The seller has not responded to any of my emails and Amazon says it isn't their problem, that the warranty is only through their partner. (The battery has a one year warranty, and it is not quite 6 months since I bought it.) I'll try to track down their phone number and give them a call next week and see if I can actually talk to someone about it rather than waiting for emails that never come.

So, maybe there was a small batch of these batteries that had some problems?

Ilikeyourthinking (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018 | 12:50 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

Just curious, but would you know the manufacturer date on your battery? There is a 10 digit code (I'm assuming we're talking about a Yuasa battery) that if you contact them (and, they are quick to respond in my experience) they will have the information. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2018 | 01:17 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ilikeyourthinking
Three weeks ago when I first got the battery I measured the voltage and the reading was 12.3 volts.
12.3 volts is about a 50% charge; full charge is 12.7 is 100%.

All new batteries need to be fully charged before use, either by seller or buyer, if you expect to get any longevity from the battery. If seller did not charge the battery fully, they should have explained that to the buyer.

Ilikeyourthinking (06-09-2018)
Old 06-08-2018 | 04:20 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by [b
Under 1/3 load the battery measured a little over 9 volts[/b]..
Noway you should even consider putting that battery back in your bike..It is Bad!

Old 06-09-2018 | 07:14 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Reading this thread ... I can almost be certain its not the battery, its the bike.
Curious of the outcome, even if your battery gets replaced, it will most certainly happen again, unless you just happen to get the one battery out of a tiny percent that is defective and why I say, its the bike, not the battery. )

Old 06-11-2018 | 08:02 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ilikeyourthinking
Just curious, but would you know the manufacturer date on your battery? There is a 10 digit code (I'm assuming we're talking about a Yuasa battery) that if you contact them (and, they are quick to respond in my experience) they will have the information. Good luck.
I will try to remember to check that today after work.

Old 06-15-2018 | 12:22 PM
Kwayz
Cruiser

Ok, so I've been communicating with Yuasa over the past several days and they are trying to get the seller to handle the warranty but so far the seller hasn't contacted me. I'm still waiting to see if anything will come of it, but so far it looks like I'm just out of luck. I did look for a code on the battery but I didn't see one that was 10 digits. (Yuasa has not asked for the code and I didn't think to ask them about it.) Yuasa has been quick to respond but their stance is that warranty must be handled through the seller, and so far the seller has not responded to any of my attempts to contact them. I will hold off for a few days to give them time to make up their minds, and if they don't get back to me I'll let everyone know and I'll name the seller at that time so maybe nobody else will have to deal with them.

I bought the battery through Amazon.com, from a third party. I see that Amazon.com is selling the same battery directly, too. But just to let you know, Amazon.com is not one of Yuasa's preferred sellers, so you may want to take that into consideration if you decide to buy a Yuasa product from Amazon.com.

Quick Reply: Three week old Yuasa GYZ32HL dead?