2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three week old Yuasa GYZ32HL dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018 | 12:46 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm thinking you've got a short. I still have my original battery on my '14 Ultra [FLHTK]. I routinely go 2-3 weeks early and late riding-season without riding, connect the battery tender and return to a full charge [green light] in under 2 hours.

The following users liked this post:
Ilikeyourthinking (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 01:06 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone who responded. I phoned the dealer (they tell me they are an authorized Yuasa dealer) just now and they said they charged the battery up to 13.4V. They tested it under load and it came back at 12.5V. I have just sent a email to Yuasa explaining the events along with the code on the battery so I I'm just waiting for their reply on the date it was manufactured and any explanation they can give me. The dealer will hang on to the battery at my request for a few more days to see how it performs, in the meantime they're providing me with a loaner battery which is pretty decent of them. Thanks to everyone for the information you've been able to provide me as it has helped me in asking the dealer questions I wouldn't have thought to ask. P.S. Dawn from Yuasa just emailed me back and is looking into things as I speak.

Old 06-05-2018 | 02:36 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Good luck with the battery.

Ilikeyourthinking (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 03:14 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

Update. Yuasa replied in a matter of mere minutes. With the 10 digit code I supplied they informed me the battery had been shipped to their distributor on the 4th of May 2017 with a voltage of 13.1348. (When I received it on May 10/18 the voltage was 12.3 V. Yuasa says if the voltage is 12.4V while at the distributors it must be charged up before the distributor ships the battery out as per instructions on the top of the battery. In my case the re-seller is backed by Yuasa....... Just back from the re-seller with my loaner battery. while there the put the Yuasa on the tester. Under 1/3 load the battery measured a little over 9 volts. They will hang on to the Yuasa GYZ32hl for a week and test it again, at that point they want me to return the loaner and re-install the Yuasa back into the bike. If the battery gives me anymore problems, Yuasa has stated they will remedy the situation. I might add, if it wasn't for the Yuasa intervening on my behalf (and very quickly I might add) with the re-seller I'd basically be left without much recourse.

FNGonaRK (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 06:26 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Ilikeyourthinking
Update. Yuasa replied in a matter of mere minutes. With the 10 digit code I supplied they informed me the battery had been shipped to their distributor on the 4th of May 2017 with a voltage of 13.1348. (When I received it on May 10/18 the voltage was 12.3 V. Yuasa says if the voltage is 12.4V while at the distributors it must be charged up before the distributor ships the battery out as per instructions on the top of the battery. In my case the re-seller is backed by Yuasa....... Just back from the re-seller with my loaner battery. while there the put the Yuasa on the tester. Under 1/3 load the battery measured a little over 9 volts. They will hang on to the Yuasa GYZ32hl for a week and test it again, at that point they want me to return the loaner and re-install the Yuasa back into the bike. If the battery gives me anymore problems, Yuasa has stated they will remedy the situation. I might add, if it wasn't for the Yuasa intervening on my behalf (and very quickly I might add) with the re-seller I'd basically be left without much recourse.
Sounds like it's kinda working out in your benefit, I hope it all works out. I'm surprised Yuasa and the dealer is going through all this trouble (holding, testing) for a battery that probably costs them about 20 bucks, you would think they would just tell the seller to give you a new battery. And the battery is over a year old already, that should be on them...good luck!

Ilikeyourthinking (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 07:37 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

IUOE Rob - I have to agree with you

Ilikeyourthinking (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018 | 09:32 AM
macabra11
Cruiser

Yeah, I don't know why all the run around. Yuasa should just ship you a new battery and take this matter up with the dealer. I'd order a Big Crank now and then just get refunded for the Yuasa if you can. I hate hassles.

Old 06-08-2018 | 05:12 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by cycle7447
IUOE Rob - I have to agree with you
Yeah cycle, they seem to be going through an awful lot of trouble (even a loaner battery, LOL) to avoid what is probably inevitable, they will replace the battery. I'm surprised they haven't just replaced it under warranty...

Old 06-08-2018 | 10:38 AM
Ilikeyourthinking
|
Intermediate

The saga continues with my correspondence to Dawn from Yuasa. " HI Dawn , Sask battery say that they can't do anything about the situation so I am left holding the bag"

Dawn replies
"I thought you picked up a loaner battery while the dealership was
testing the battery and we were waiting for the results? If you do not
wish to wait ask Amanda at Sask for a refund of the battery as the
warranty. We cannot give a refund from the manufacturer since we do not
sell to the end user and the warranty is handled through the
distributor. If you have any issues please let me know and I will be
happy to contact Amanda to work this out. "
Regards
My reply
"Good morning Dawn. I did indeed get a loaner battery from MB. Battery (SASK Battery is their sister company) . Here's the situation, the woman from SASK Battery has told me they will not give me a refund. Why? The battery is obviously defective. You also spoke with her and informed her that the battery is covered under warranty and should there be a problem will be fully refunded. Since there's a discrepancy in how this is to be handled, I'm asking that you please get in touch with her with instructions to move this thing forward for my refund.. I don't want an exchange since I prefer not to deal with this company and their distributor. Thank-you for your assistance with this , it's much appreciated."
Dawn from Yuasa responded, "I'll call and see what I can do"

Haven't heard back yet from Dawn at Yuasa. Hopefully this gets remedied shortly.

Old 06-08-2018 | 10:52 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Ilikeyourthinking...how did you pay for the battery?

If by charge card, simply return the battery - and let the credit card company know. They will get this handles.

Exactly why I try to pay for all of my expenditures wih a credit card.

Now, for a new battery - I have said this several times - stick with the Harley battery from the dealership.

Ilikeyourthinking (06-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Three week old Yuasa GYZ32HL dead?