Sponsored by:

FP3 vs. Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default FP3 vs. Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner Pro

I haven't posted here in quite awhile, but recently upgraded from a 2012 Ultra Classic to a 2016 Ultra Classic. With the 2012, I was a big fan of the SESTPro and had become very familiar with it. When I bought the 2016, I found myself with a tuner that I could no longer use. And after HD's fiasco with the EPA, I wasn't real keen on buying another because I wasn't sure about it's future as far as support, etc. SOOO... I started shopping around for a new tuner. After reading tons of reviews (some good, some bad) I decided to give the FP3 a shot, figuring I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like it.

I didn't expect it to be as flexible or have as many features as the Super Tuner Pro, but after playing with it for a couple of weeks, I was really impressed. Starting with canned map choices, you start by choosing an exhaust. Not surprisingly, there are a wide variety of Vance & Hines combinations, and a few others. But I would like to see a lot more choices. On the bright side, if you contact support, they will modify your map for just about any combination or get you close. Once you have chosen and flashed a map, you can choose from a wide variety of cam choices. All of the maps that I have seen assume you are running a hi-flow air cleaner (if you aren't, do you really need a tuner?). I was able to choose a canned map with my exact exhaust and cam combination (and by installing the Android app, and using Demo mode, I was able to verify that they had a map for me before I ever purchased the tuner). The whole process of hooking up the FP3, downloading the map and flashing it to the ECU took about 15 minutes.

I was pretty happy with the canned map, but the FP3 also has an auto-tune feature to tune it even more precisely, and it is very simple to use. You just load the app on your phone, select the currently flashed map (you can store several), select auto-tune and drive. Some say 20 minutes, some say several hours. The APP will show you the VE tables, all in white when you start. As it begins learning, the cells will change to orange, and then green when fully learned. When you are satisfied that it has "learned" the cells that you wish, you can apply the changes and flash the new map. My first auto-tune made a noticeable improvement after riding for only an hour.

Now, one of the things that I liked about the Super Tuner Pro, was that you could edit the VE tables, AIR/FUEL and SPARK tables manually. My 2012 was cursed with the pinging problems that we have all heard about. It was by manually editing those tables that I was able to get rid of the pinging. You can do the same thing with the FP3. You can set a target air/fuel ratio, acceleration enrichment, deceleration enleanment, closed loop range, simple decal pop selection, throttle progressivity, idle speed, rev limit, etc. Every feature that I was familiar with in the Super Tuner Pro, was available i the FP3 (with the exception of data collection).

Some things that I found in the FP3 that I am not aware of in the Super Tuner include setting gear ratios, speedometer calibration, active exhaust, the ability to read trouble codes and view live sensor data on the phone as you drive. There is even a selection to send your map to support from the app. From what I have heard they respond very quickly, with a new or modified map if appropriate.

One of the cons is that your Dyno Shop can't tune with it, but I have seen rumors in this forum that that may change. Most of us go to a Harley Dealer to have our bikes put on the dyno anyway, and guess what you get... a CANNED MAP! Most of my mods have consisted of Stage II or mild Stage III mods, so I am not a Super-User, but I was impressed enough that I decided to voice my opinion. If you are aware of any Pros or Cons that I have missed, please jump in.

Last edited by Guzz; 05-14-2018 at 06:47 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Guzz:
Azari (06-09-2021), johnny_b_good (11-30-2019), Rockin C (12-26-2018), rusty289 (05-15-2018), TearlessTom (12-12-2019), wevsspot (05-17-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:40 PM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Great write up on the FP3!

I have one, haven't gotten anywhere near making adjustments on my own but I am super happy with it and the support from V&H

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty289
Great write up on the FP3!

I have one, haven't gotten anywhere near making adjustments on my own but I am super happy with it and the support from V&H
Called them yesterday to tweak my map, and before I was off the phone they had it done and downloaded to my FP3.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Called them yesterday to tweak my map, and before I was off the phone they had it done and downloaded to my FP3.
I'll be calling them again soon myself, got a set of 09 head pipes to install to get rid of the cat. Just ordered the O2 adapters and harness extension.

They really are great with the support.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

very nice wright up!

i have PCv on my bike (came with it) its kind of useless unless you have the autotune add on then you need a pod-300 to view data finally a android phone/laptop to modify any thing so it like $550 to really be able to tune it myself, seen the FP3 online but was looking for some feedback on it, i like its just a simple 1 plug and then connect your phone pop a map in then autotune

might be my next purchase

Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by stroker87
very nice wright up!

i have PCv on my bike (came with it) its kind of useless unless you have the autotune add on then you need a pod-300 to view data finally a android phone/laptop to modify any thing so it like $550 to really be able to tune it myself, seen the FP3 online but was looking for some feedback on it, i like its just a simple 1 plug and then connect your phone pop a map in then autotune

might be my next purchase
That has been my experience yes.However, I do not Auto Tune, I just ride on a map for 300 miles or so, then let FP3 Support tweak it and download it. They have told me not to Auto Tune once they tweak my map.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

That has been my experience yes.However, I do not Auto Tune, I just ride on a map for 300 miles or so, then let FP3 Support tweak it and download it. They have told me not to Auto Tune once they tweak my map.
Does V&H tweak the map based on your input or data stored in the FP3?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:08 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwven
Does V&H tweak the map based on your input or data stored in the FP3?
Both, I changed out my header, they recommended a new map. Then they took the new map and adjusted it from the data on the FP3 after 300 or so miles.

The following users liked this post:
rusty289 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:32 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Both, I changed out my header, they recommended a new map. Then they took the new map and adjusted it from the data on the FP3 after 300 or so miles.
Wow, that's pretty good service, I have had one for a while, put a cam in, called and they looked at the map and said it was good to go

Old 05-16-2018, 06:21 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,791 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Ironic that V&H is located in California, and much of what they sell can not be sold in California.

The following users liked this post:
OutlawFC222 (09-11-2022)

Quick Reply: FP3 vs. Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner Pro