2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018 | 07:04 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

I throw new ones in every tire change. I've been buying sets of them from Drag. I have the time and tools and it's only around a 2 beer operation with the wheels off already.

Old 05-11-2018 | 09:41 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior

Over the winter I had to replace the rear tire at 17000 miles. While the wheel was off I checked the bearings and they seamed good but change all bearings anyways. I checked the front bearings and the abs bearing was going bad, so I changed the fronts while the wheel was off.

Changing the bearings isn稚 hard to do, so I値l do them at every tire change

Old 05-12-2018 | 06:45 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master

I went through 2 sets of abs bearings on the front and 1 abs on the rear. I could have had them replaced under warenty again but opted to get Pit Pose tools and installed some All *****. Mine were easily detected by holding a finger on the axle or frame near it and spinning the wheel.

Howling and vibration while leaning into a curve is also a symptom of cupping on your tires.

Old 05-12-2018 | 12:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I went through 2 sets of abs bearings on the front and 1 abs on the rear. I could have had them replaced under warenty again but opted to get Pit Pose tools and installed some All *****. Mine were easily detected by holding a finger on the axle or frame near it and spinning the wheel.
I think the Pit Posse is a good tool. If you haven't already, grease the rubbing surfaces on the washers, nuts and screw threads, turns a lot easier. Both my sportsters have the oddball 3/4" inner race, metric outer, hard to find and I didn't want to use Harley's, so I tried AllBalls, too. Seem to be fine bearings, well built, and packed fuller with Chevron synthetic than any other brand I've seen for Harley. The double seals can't hurt, either.

The Pit Posse (probably any brand) is easier to use when you have something to hold the wheel, too, though I've used it with the wheel on the dining room floor and it wasn't difficult. Grandkids usually need a little help getting the tool in place.

Old 05-12-2018 | 01:14 PM
saafrican
Advanced

Brand new 2017 Ultra rear wheel bearings at 9999 miles. This was at Cape Flattery Washington State and 3500 miles from home in Fort Lauderdale

Old 05-12-2018 | 01:22 PM
saafrican
Advanced
Default Replace bearings

Originally Posted by rwven
Look for rust colored streaks radiating out from the bearing onto the polished or chromed portion of the wheel hub. I've had that the last two times the bearings were going bad. I can hear the bearings whirring and feel a slight vibration in the hand grips also. I didn't notice any difference when cornering and the only time I've had a howling sound was from the tire tread on worn/cupped tires.
Bearings are cheaper than having to replace bearings when on a trip. The hassle of a tow truck , then hotels while the dealer "fits" your bike in. My rear wheel bearings failed at 9999 miles and I managed to limp into the HD dealer in Lacy Washington State, to replace them under warranty. It took the dealer 3 days , yip THREE FFFffing days of hotel costs before I got my bike back . Now every time I change tires I fit SKF bearings. Its one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by saafrican; 05-12-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2018 | 10:10 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rsking45
Changing the bearings isn稚 hard to do, so I値l do them at every tire change
Probably a stupid question, but every time you pull out the old out bearing, and insert the new bearing into the wheel, doesn't it take just a smidgen of the "cup" that holds the bearing in place?

Eventually enough material could be removed that the bearing may not be held in the wheel?? Just a question, because some people change tires like others change oil. So theoretically, a bearing could be changed 12 times in roughly 100K miles. Curious minds inquire.

Old 05-13-2018 | 06:01 PM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Probably a stupid question, but every time you pull out the old out bearing, and insert the new bearing into the wheel, doesn't it take just a smidgen of the "cup" that holds the bearing in place?

Eventually enough material could be removed that the bearing may not be held in the wheel?? Just a question, because some people change tires like others change oil. So theoretically, a bearing could be changed 12 times in roughly 100K miles. Curious minds inquire.
I brushed a bit of anti-seize compound on the bore and on the outside of the bearing.

Old 05-13-2018 | 06:02 PM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by saafrican
Bearings are cheaper than having to replace bearings when on a trip. The hassle of a tow truck , then hotels while the dealer "fits" your bike in. My rear wheel bearings failed at 9999 miles and I managed to limp into the HD dealer in Lacy Washington State, to replace them under warranty. It took the dealer 3 days , yip THREE FFFffing days of hotel costs before I got my bike back . Now every time I change tires I fit SKF bearings. Its one less thing to worry about.
SKF doesn't make an ABS bearing to my knowledge. Is your ride non ABS or do you install a Harley or All-***** ABS bearing?

Old 05-13-2018 | 06:05 PM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
I think the Pit Posse is a good tool. If you haven't already, grease the rubbing surfaces on the washers, nuts and screw threads, turns a lot easier. Both my sportsters have the oddball 3/4" inner race, metric outer, hard to find and I didn't want to use Harley's, so I tried AllBalls, too. Seem to be fine bearings, well built, and packed fuller with Chevron synthetic than any other brand I've seen for Harley. The double seals can't hurt, either.

The Pit Posse (probably any brand) is easier to use when you have something to hold the wheel, too, though I've used it with the wheel on the dining room floor and it wasn't difficult. Grandkids usually need a little help getting the tool in place.

I slathered some anti-seize on the threads and thrust surfaces. The action was nice and smooth with a good "feel" of how the bearing was going in.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings?