Sponsored by:

Tour pack questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018 | 10:19 PM
cweiss
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
yes, but you will need the wiring harness.......I believe someone posted the harness above. I'm not sure if that's the harness you need, but .....yes, it'll work. The fact that the pak comes with all the wiring/harnesses is the "PLUS" ......... Maybe that new dealership you have "Riding High HD" has a tech who has done the install before

I know some ppl don't like the dealerships, but my techs share info with me even when I plan to do the work myself. Maybe they can tell you exactly what to buy also.
I actually ordered the parts through them. Should be in next week

Old 04-22-2018 | 10:23 PM
cweiss
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Super08
You will need to buy the harness that goes from the head unit back under the tank to the under seat area. Now for the fun part. You will need to change the wiring harness on the bike for the speakers to plug into this harness. The Ultra harness has other wires that support volume control and intercom for the passenger. It has a huge plug that plugs into the main harness which our bikes do not have the plug for. Also to use the lights you will need to buy a "T" harness from Namz that will plug into the harness going to the rear fender. This will also be under your seat. As for the antenna, if you wish to use it on the tour pak when you run the harness from the head unit you will need to order and run a new antenna cable from the head unit to the under seat area. The one that comes on your bike is too short to reach the tour pak harness. It will take just a bit of work and everything on the tour pak will work except for the passenger intercom functions. It sounds harder trying to explain it that what is required. I will go find my thread from when I built my tour pak a little over a year ago.
Thanks for the info. I already installed the namz harness. Painless install that was.
I pulled the CB and antenna wires back into the box and placed them under the metal bottom since I will just use the antenna that I ran along the frame of the bike.
The wiring harness kit is one from harley that also comes with the speaker pods and some rubber pieces that the pack already had. PN 76000505 is what 2 seperate dealers said I needed. So I went ahead and ordered. They stated that this kit was the only way to obtain the needed harness....which is BS in my opinion but oh well...

Old 04-22-2018 | 10:55 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

....... a color-matched King TP looks pretty great on the RGS
........... and Mama will appreciate it !

Old 04-22-2018 | 11:06 PM
cweiss
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Super08
You will need to buy the harness that goes from the head unit back under the tank to the under seat area. Now for the fun part. You will need to change the wiring harness on the bike for the speakers to plug into this harness. The Ultra harness has other wires that support volume control and intercom for the passenger. It has a huge plug that plugs into the main harness which our bikes do not have the plug for. Also to use the lights you will need to buy a "T" harness from Namz that will plug into the harness going to the rear fender. This will also be under your seat. As for the antenna, if you wish to use it on the tour pak when you run the harness from the head unit you will need to order and run a new antenna cable from the head unit to the under seat area. The one that comes on your bike is too short to reach the tour pak harness. It will take just a bit of work and everything on the tour pak will work except for the passenger intercom functions. It sounds harder trying to explain it that what is required. I will go find my thread from when I built my tour pak a little over a year ago.
Only question I have is that I bought kit # 76000505 tour pack rear speaker enclosure kit, which includes the wiring harness.
The tour pack I have is from a ultra limited with the huge plug for the speakers. The harness in the kit does not look like it will plug up however I do not have it in hand just yet. What is the easiest way to make everything work?

Old 04-30-2018 | 12:53 AM
cweiss
|
Road Master

Had a company called soundz build a harness for the speakers in pack. Highly recommended company. Flashed by Harley for 25.00
everything is working as needed. I did return the speaker pod kit to the dealer which I ended up not needing. Here is a pic. I think it turned out good

Old 04-30-2018 | 06:10 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks good man, cute dog also! (Now you need some chrome fork sliders hehe)

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 04-30-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2018 | 06:57 AM
Super08
Supporter

Originally Posted by cweiss
Only question I have is that I bought kit # 76000505 tour pack rear speaker enclosure kit, which includes the wiring harness.
The tour pack I have is from a ultra limited with the huge plug for the speakers. The harness in the kit does not look like it will plug up however I do not have it in hand just yet. What is the easiest way to make everything work?
The harness that comes with the kit has a smaller plug. You use that one to attach to the speakers and then to the extension harness that is also included that goes from under the seat up to the head unit.

Old 04-30-2018 | 10:31 PM
Super08
Supporter

Just to be clear the harness you get with the kit will replace the harness with the big plug. The big plug is for intercom controls etc for the passenger which you bike does not support. You will end up with the harness for the lights and antenna and the harness you got with the enclosure coming from the tour pak. The harness for the lights will plug into the "T: adapter harness. The harness you got with the enclosure kit will go from the speakers and plug into the other extension harness that came with the kit which goes from the head unit back under the fuel tank and seat.

Old 05-01-2018 | 05:10 AM
cweiss
|
Road Master

I understand. I ran a namz kit for the lights and had a custom harness made from soundz for the rear speakers. It was plug and play from head unit back to the large plug on pack. No fuss. I ended up pulling the extra wires for cb and antenna back into the pack and secured them under the metal tray since they aren't being used. I am using the antenna from the bike tied up along the frame.
I returned the enclosure kit to harley. The custom harness was 70.00. Enclosure kit was 250...

Last edited by cweiss; 05-01-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2018 | 05:46 AM
Super08
Supporter

Perfect! I didn't realize Namz had that one now.

Quick Reply: Tour pack questions...