2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights on and off after bar replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018 | 12:25 PM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain
Default Dash lights on and off after bar replacement?

I put a set of Chubbys on my friends 2016 Ultra. I also installed Bassani duels, PowerCommander 5 and Rinehart Slip'ons and Wille G heated grips. Got it all back together, everything went well. Started bike up and it sounds great. Shut it off, went back out an hour later and turned ignition on and fuel pump comes on, but no dash lights? Nothing, radio, gauges all dead. Leave the bike sit till i can get back to it the next day and turn ignition on and bam, gauges work again, bike starts up. Pull bike off lift, start it up, and let it warm up. Go 50 feet down driveway and gauges go out but bike still running. RIde back to garage try to shut off by kill switch and it wont shut off, turn ignition and still runs until i turn all the way to lock then it shuts down. Try to turn back on and nothing. Pump runs but no lights or dash. Sit for 10 minutes, pull ignition and put it back in a few times and still nothing and then after another 10 miutes, turn it on and it's back, all lights and starts right up. Head down driveway again and get 50 feet and the dash goes dead? I have not checked trouble codes cause when i tried the dash is dead and nothing works. So on one of the good moments tonight i will check the codes. As far as i can see their is nothing pinched and all wires are free. This is my 4th set of bars and i am really at a loss. On a seperate note, the grips were wired into the extra plug in the fuse box, power all the way up to the left grip, turn on switch and they dont work? Bike running or not? He wanted different style hand grips and Harley could have made it a lot easier using the exsisting plugs, instead of taking tank off and running wires to the fuse box. Any help with either issue is appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-03-2018 | 03:04 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Did you have to de-pin any of the electrical connectors for the switches or the TBW?

Have you gone back and double checked to ensure that all of the various molex, Delphi etc. electrical connections are firmly attached to their respective ports/sockets?

It's got be something in the handlebar wiring I'd think. A short somewhere or a damaged wire?

The following users liked this post:
bigrobtemp (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018 | 03:13 PM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wevsspot
Did you have to de-pin any of the electrical connectors for the switches or the TBW?

Have you gone back and double checked to ensure that all of the various molex, Delphi etc. electrical connections are firmly attached to their respective ports/sockets?

It's got be something in the handlebar wiring I'd think. A short somewhere or a damaged wire?
I did pull the faring back off and check and wiggle all connections trying to get it to kick on. I think it would be a wire too and i guess i am going to have to pull it all back apart and start over? It is strange because it works great and then, it's dead? Bike is running without gauges?

Old 04-03-2018 | 03:35 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

It sucks, but I would pull everything, inspect and start over. It's not going to fix itself. Good luck and let us know what you find.

bigrobtemp (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018 | 03:57 PM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
It sucks, but I would pull everything, inspect and start over. It's not going to fix itself. Good luck and let us know what you find.
yeah i know. hoping there was something i overlooked? Did not want to pull it all down and start over. would like to at least have an idea of what to shoot for.

Old 04-03-2018 | 10:36 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I've completed or assisted in the installation on three Road Glides now (2-2015 and 1-2016).

The second 2015 I helped with was using 14" FMB Gorilla Killer Apes. They have a nasty meat hook bend in the bars. The owner wanted to try and use all of the stock wiring without having to extend anything. Pulling those wires was a bitty. Before tightening everything down we wanted to check and ensure everything was working, so we started the bike, checked all of the switches, throttle control etc. and everything worked great.

So we tightened everything up and Mike thought he was gonna get a test ride in.......

Almost exact same results as you're experiencing. We disassembled and re-assembled twice. Same results. We finally found that we had pinched a wire up near the right hand switch housing and the wires were shorting out.

He ordered the new wire loom from Harley for the right hand switch housing. We ran the new wires, carefully buttoned everything back up. He's been good to go for a couple years now.

So your description was leading me to believe you are having a similar issue somewhere in the switch housing wires.

bigrobtemp (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018 | 06:54 AM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wevsspot
I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I've completed or assisted in the installation on three Road Glides now (2-2015 and 1-2016).

The second 2015 I helped with was using 14" FMB Gorilla Killer Apes. They have a nasty meat hook bend in the bars. The owner wanted to try and use all of the stock wiring without having to extend anything. Pulling those wires was a bitty. Before tightening everything down we wanted to check and ensure everything was working, so we started the bike, checked all of the switches, throttle control etc. and everything worked great.

So we tightened everything up and Mike thought he was gonna get a test ride in.......

Almost exact same results as you're experiencing. We disassembled and re-assembled twice. Same results. We finally found that we had pinched a wire up near the right hand switch housing and the wires were shorting out.

He ordered the new wire loom from Harley for the right hand switch housing. We ran the new wires, carefully buttoned everything back up. He's been good to go for a couple years now.

So your description was leading me to believe you are having a similar issue somewhere in the switch housing wires.
OK thank you very much. I will start there, i had a hunch that it was grips or ignition. Last night i tried to cycle it on and nothing, dash was dead every time i tried. It has been really cold here in Michigan and life has got in the way of being able to get back out in garage to work on it. Thanks again and i will take that grip off and check all connections.

Old 04-04-2018 | 10:06 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

pull the connectors apart and make sure all of the pins are locked in their perspective slots. sometimes they will back out a tad upon connecting.

bigrobtemp (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018 | 01:13 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
OK thank you very much. I will start there, i had a hunch that it was grips or ignition........ thanks again and i will take that grip off and check all connections.
I might mention, that one other thing we found was that a fuse/relay had blown when we shorted the wire.

Old 04-04-2018 | 01:54 PM
dgprince
Novice

Mine does the same thing. What I have to do is pull the main radio fuse and the bike will start up and then put the radio fuse back in. This has been going on well over a year. My back sat at Harley for 4 weeks and they couldn't figure the problem. Their resolution was to put a toggle switch onto the main radio fuse so when it does it again, I hit the toggle switch and that will simulate pulling the fuse out. Im at my end with this and don't know what else to do myself.

Quick Reply: Dash lights on and off after bar replacement?