2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights on and off after bar replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018 | 05:34 PM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dgprince
Mine does the same thing. What I have to do is pull the main radio fuse and the bike will start up and then put the radio fuse back in. This has been going on well over a year. My back sat at Harley for 4 weeks and they couldn't figure the problem. Their resolution was to put a toggle switch onto the main radio fuse so when it does it again, I hit the toggle switch and that will simulate pulling the fuse out. Im at my end with this and don't know what else to do myself.
Damn that is not good? It was fine before i screwed it up putting the bars on. I have to believe that there is a wire pinched but i also know that i pulled the fuse and then put it back in and the lights worked. But 50 ft down the driveway they went out? Bike still runs with them out but i am going to have to start over. This sucks. Thanks

Old 04-05-2018 | 03:05 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
Bike still runs with them out but i am going to have to start over. This sucks. Thanks
That's why I always cringe when a friend asks me to help with handlebar installs. The big "what if" unknown that keeps you saddled to the installation if things don't go right.

Good luck brother.

The following users liked this post:
bigrobtemp (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018 | 03:23 PM
bigrobtemp
|
Road Captain

OK good news. I went out today and it was the right grip control wires just pinched a little bit. I grabbed the wire coming out and the dash lit up, then moved it and they went out. I took apart, checked for damage, put on some electrical tape. Then i carefully buttoned everything back together and rode the bike. Everything worked as it should. Bike ran great. Now on to the grips, i have power to grips but they wont get warm or even heat at all. These are Harley grips, and wired with their plugs and right to the instructions. I am not good at electrical but will stay with it. Thanks for the help on the running problem.

Old 04-05-2018 | 04:58 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
OK good news. I went out today and it was the right grip control wires just pinched a little bit. I grabbed the wire coming out and the dash lit up, then moved it and they went out. I took apart, checked for damage, put on some electrical tape. Then i carefully buttoned everything back together and rode the bike. Everything worked as it should. Bike ran great. Now on to the grips, i have power to grips but they wont get warm or even heat at all. These are Harley grips, and wired with their plugs and right to the instructions. I am not good at electrical but will stay with it. Thanks for the help on the running problem.
Good deal. I'm glad you found the problem.

I don't remember specifically, but when I changed my bars, I didn't get the pins in the right grip into the socket. In fact, the pins were bent and I had to carefully straighten them before they would go into the socket.