Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just trying to understand bluetooth capabiliies with my 2017 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM
outdoorsntn
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just trying to understand bluetooth capabiliies with my 2017 Ultra Limited

Just bought my 2017 Ultra Limited. Used a Sena S20 to listen to XM Radio, my music on my phone, and communicate with those who I ride with. Installed the HD wired headset in my Shoei Neotec helmet. Learning that compatibility with my riding buddies who have Sena S20's, I can't talk with now.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

The HD wired (plug in) headset alone by itself has no bluetooth capabilities. All you can do is talk to the passenger if that headset is plugged in, and communicate with your infotainment system, etc..... if I'm understanding what you're asking.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Only way to talk to other riders with the wired headset is if you have a CB or bike to bike module

Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 AM
outdoorsntn
6th Gear

Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure I understand what I've read on this forum.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:59 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

You have to install the WHIM if you want your Sena to communicate through your infotainment system and you will have to use the HD Boom 20s to get Stereo and HD. Or...you could go the Freewire route.

Last edited by DAVENRINO; 02-09-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,028 Likes on 7,307 Posts

I have my phone linked by Bluetooth to the Boom. I stream music to the Boom using the Spotify app. The phone is in a Tech Mount cradle on he handle bars where I can easily see it. I also used the WAZE app for quick navigation and use the system speakers to listen.

As for phone calls you have be plugged in to the HD Boom system unless you have a separate Bluetooth receiver/speaker system like the SENA.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM
outdoorsntn
6th Gear

Appreciate the info.

This is how I understand it: With H-D's Wireless Headset Interface Module (WHIM), I will be able to BT my SENA S20 to the bike however, the sound quality will be very poor and I'll have some limited functionalities unless I go with the Boom! Audio 20S EVO Bluetooth Helmet Headset. I will be able to still BT my phone to the Boom! Box 6.5 where my phone book, recent calls, incoming calls will be displayed, I will still get turn by turn directions from the Boom! GPS, I will be able to communicate with my passenger via BT, and I will be able to communicate with other riders via compatible BT devices. Do I have this right? An additional question: Can the Boom! Audio 20S EVO Bluetooth Helmet Headset be used while charging?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:23 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by outdoorsntn
Appreciate the info.

This is how I understand it: With H-D's Wireless Headset Interface Module (WHIM), I will be able to BT my SENA S20 to the bike however, the sound quality will be very poor and I'll have some limited functionalities unless I go with the Boom! Audio 20S EVO Bluetooth Helmet Headset. I will be able to still BT my phone to the Boom! Box 6.5 where my phone book, recent calls, incoming calls will be displayed, I will still get turn by turn directions from the Boom! GPS, I will be able to communicate with my passenger via BT, and I will be able to communicate with other riders via compatible BT devices. Do I have this right? An additional question: Can the Boom! Audio 20S EVO Bluetooth Helmet Headset be used while charging?
Sounds like you got it. I think the only functionality you lose with the Sena 20s are the infotainment BT config menus. Can't answer the charging question but battery life is very good.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Do not believe you can communicate with other BT compatible devices while you are connected to WHIM. You would have to have the CB to communicate with others, with the exception of your passenger through the intercom.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:58 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Have not tried to use the headset while charging. You do get a 12volt charger with headset, but I have not tried this. Charge has lasted all day for me, so no need to charge while on the bike.

Quick Reply: Just trying to understand bluetooth capabiliies with my 2017 Ultra Limited