2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Brake Recall

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/07/h...cycles-brakes/

Might not pertain to Rushmore’s but it’s important anyway

Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM
macabra11
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Sort of a vague article. ANY Harley from 08-11? This seems like common sense that you need to check and change your brake fluid periodically/according to the maintenance schedule. I don't see how this is a "recall-worthy" issue.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by macabra11
Sort of a vague article. ANY Harley from 08-11? This seems like common sense that you need to check and change your brake fluid periodically/according to the maintenance schedule. I don't see how this is a "recall-worthy" issue.
Reading between the lines I think the issue is that Harley didn't specify a brake service interval for those years as it has for the years 2012 and following.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by macabra11

It's recall worthy for the fact that Harley's ABS system during those years causes a complete brake failure when it goes bad. No other vehicle manufacturer in the world has a system like that. But, it does stand to reason since it was made by a Chinese company, BWI.

I'm glad to see that HD is going to have to eat this. It's been a long time coming.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 AM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
It's recall worthy for the fact that Harley's ABS system during those years causes a complete brake failure when it goes bad. No other vehicle manufacturer in the world has a system like that. But, it does stand to reason since it was made by a Chinese company, BWI.

I'm glad to see that HD is going to have to eat this. It's been a long time coming.
Eat this?? They are only flushing the fluid, I assume it sounds like one time, lol, more and more I think I have bought my last harley.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Eat this?? They are only flushing the fluid, I assume it sounds like one time, lol, more and more I think I have bought my last harley.

They'll own that HCU for as long as the original owner has it if it ever fails. They have to cut checks for those that have failed and the owners paid to have them fixed because HD stonewalled them. Sometimes it isn't cheaper to Chinese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeijingWest_Industries

http://www.bwigroup.com/about-bwi-group/

Here's a link for anyone who paid to have an 08-11 ABS repaired for an HCU. Gather your receipts; they owe you some $

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ed-money.shtml

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-07-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 PM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!

If owners aren’t smart enough to flush their brakes according to schedule,Harley’s it seems a coming to the rescue..if your going to own one of these bikes then it’s your responsibility to do the most basic of service like this or pay to get it done..what happens if the wife is on the back....
roadrash3 why would you consider it’s your last Harley...every car I’ve owned has had recalls,my current one has a potential airbag problem and it’s a 17... I had a 09 Ultra Limited with 55k miles never had a problem with brakes,but I also serviced them

Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadpop
If owners aren’t smart enough to flush their brakes according to schedule,Harley’s it seems a coming to the rescue..if your going to own one of these bikes then it’s your responsibility to do the most basic of service like this or pay to get it done..what happens if the wife is on the back....
roadrash3 why would you consider it’s your last Harley...every car I’ve owned has had recalls,my current one has a potential airbag problem and it’s a 17... I had a 09 Ultra Limited with 55k miles never had a problem with brakes,but I also serviced them
You can't put this on the owners.

What part about HD's system is the only ABS system in the world that renders braking completely inoperable when the ABS HCU malfunctions?? That's not an owner issue, that's an engineering issue. What about those owners who took their bikes in for service (and got raped) and the HCUs failed ? Naw, that owner neglect thing don't fly.

I find it kinda funny that most guys who talk that neglect nonsense would point to the power steering pump under the hood of their car if you asked where the brake fluid goes.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-07-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 PM
roadpop
Tourer

[QUOTE=Nomadmax;17068782]You can't put this on the owners.

What part about HD's system is the only ABS system in the world that renders braking completely inoperable when the ABS HCU malfunctions?? That's not an owner issue, that's an engineering issue. What about those owners who took their bikes in for service (and got raped) and the HCUs failed ? Naw, that owner neglect thing don't fly.

I find it kinda funny that most guys who talk that neglect nonsense would point to the power steering pump under the hood of their car if you asked where the brake fluid goes.

nomadmax..I venture to say most riders don’t service there bikes like they should.. I never had a brake system fail on my 09, have you? and most never knew of any problem until reading this..everyone is so fast to come down on the manufacturer for every little problem..and the reference about steering pump and brake fluid is kinda dumb...I’ve spent 45 yrs in the retail car business and believe me I’ve seen neglect and that’s usually when problems start and happen and then the bitching starts

Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine has never failed but I service it every 12 months, and after I do I cycle the ABS system (both circuits) on a test ride to exchange the fluid in the HCU. I also engage ABS twice per wheel every time I ride.

BUT

A design that leaves a user with no braking capability (on that wheel) knowing DOT 4 is hygroscopic is borderline criminal. There are literally millions of vehicles out on the road today with failed ABS systems due to a variety of reasons, neglect included, that have full residual braking capabilities. In this day an age, that's unsatisfactory.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Recall