2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a one-up tour pak mount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017 | 03:20 PM
VinnyM
Road Master

Mine would open with the pack slid all the way back but when slid forward the bags touched at the front end. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood same size as the detach bracket and put it between the pack and the detach mount. Works good and it gives full even support on the pack. Of course I had to give the wood a custom flat black paint job..... I think HD makes a kit to raise the pack as well.

Old 12-24-2017 | 03:49 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior

My bags open just fine with no mods.
And as you can see I have a Corbin rider backrest. I know the HD solo seats with rider backrest work as well.
Nice to have the support on the lower back, not the mid back you would get with just moving the Pac closer.

Old 12-24-2017 | 05:24 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by timbo141

My bags open just fine with no mods.
And as you can see I have a Corbin rider backrest. I know the HD solo seats with rider backrest work as well.
Nice to have the support on the lower back, not the mid back you would get with just moving the Pac closer.
I would imagine that your bag lids clear the tour pack because yours does not have tp speaker pods or audio controls. HD has a spacer kit for the solo rack on 14 up Ultras, Limiteds and King TP. I'm sure it's for the speaker pod clearance.

If you're not using the TP as your backrest, then what is the gain of using a solo rack? Other than absolutely not having to take a passenger, I don't get it. Lol

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 12-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2017 | 06:52 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cwsharp
OOppsss... didn't think about that. You are the only one that mentioned shimming the pack up... not being able to open the bags is a pretty big oversight. I don't like shimming because it reduces the support from the platform... I'm not clear about why this should be necessary... I will have to measure the lid to see if it is wider at the front. Thanks for the insight.
There's no need to shim, a slight push inward on the lid misses the pack or lock the handle down first, shut, then reopen and lock down, [Rushmores]
Some of you are "over engineering" this.

Old 12-26-2017 | 01:57 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Fold down the passenger peg on the clutch side. Step onto it with your LEFT foot and then STAND UP and easily bring your RIGHT FOOT UP and OVER. Sit down.

You're welcome.

Old 12-26-2017 | 02:48 PM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I ride singly most of the time. I have the stuff to make my RK a full tourer, including the two-up tour pack rack, etc. This summer I am taking a long trip that includes camping. I will save enough money by camping that I can buy the one up tour pack rack for one night's hotel stay. Has anyone tried this? Can you swing your leg over the pack or do you have to step through? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Others here have given good advice. You can swing over if you are tall enough/step on something.

By chance, are you going to Yellowstone/Tetons? Looks like you have tubeless tires, so that's good. If you happen to be running tubes, please pack a spare tube and rim strip. Like an annoying In-Law, I'm telling everyone I can whether it applies to them or not.

Old 12-26-2017 | 03:24 PM
VinnyM
Road Master

Originally Posted by Just Me
There's no need to shim, a slight push inward on the lid misses the pack or lock the handle down first, shut, then reopen and lock down, [Rushmores]
Some of you are "over engineering" this.
No “over engineering” here. With my pack slid all the way back it works fine but with the pack forward in the slots the bags will not open.....by at least a half inch.......YMMV.

Old 12-26-2017 | 04:00 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mohawkpan
No “over engineering” here. With my pack slid all the way back it works fine but with the pack forward in the slots the bags will not open.....by at least a half inch.......YMMV.
Looks like your running a 15? Mine is a 14 and only slightly touches the pack.
Are you using a HD bracket or aftermarket?

Attached Thumbnails Anybody using a one-up tour pak mount?-2004-03-15-19.28.23.jpg  
Old 12-26-2017 | 05:04 PM
VinnyM
Road Master

15 Streetglide special, factory HD chopped tour-pak, factory solo detach bracket and part#53000461 (solo tour pack spacer kit). The kit consists of two pieces of flat stock 1/2"x1". (see picture). My bags would touch the bottom of the tour-pak when it was slid all the way forward in the slots of the detach bracket, since this is where I wanted the pack so that I could use it as a backrest I decided to remove the spacer kit and use 3/4" plywood for a little extra room so I wouldn't bang up my bag lids.

Attached Thumbnails Anybody using a one-up tour pak mount?-bracket.jpg  

Last edited by VinnyM; 12-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2018 | 06:54 PM
TBagger
Tourer

So I'll apologize in advance, but what part numbers are required to run the tour pack forward and be able to use as backrest without any bag clearance issues ? 15 ultra application.
Thx !

Quick Reply: Anybody using a one-up tour pak mount?