Sponsored by:

Winter clean up

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Winter clean up

Ok guys its getting that time of year for good detail and i just wanted to get some views on the best products to clean the road grime/dirt/dust from the engine and under carriage of my bike.

A little background. Used to live where the roads where paved and keeping a bike clean was easy. Now I live on a dirt road in North Texas and out in the country a bit so i have well water. Unfortunately the well water is very salty (over 3,000 PPM) so i cannot wash the bike at home.

I generally use Original Bike Spirits and micro fiber towels to keep the paint and chrome clean and shiny (works great). As i was changing my fluids last weekend i was really disappointed with how much road grime/dust/etc i had let build up on the engine and under carriage. I know wash it more ;-).

So, as i mentioned that i cannot wash the bike at home with my water, i am looking to see if there are any great spray on, foam up products that will clean the grime from the engine with minimal scrubbing. I will probably be doing this at a spray car wash and won't have a lot of brushes, etc that i might have if washing at home.

Some products i was thinking about:
S100, Simple Green, etc... I have used Gunk on a older car engine but not sure it would be good on a Bike.

Yes, yes you could call me lazy but really looking to see if there is anything y'all are using that might make this type of engine cleaning easy.

Many thanks

Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

If you can't use water then you probably don't want to use S100 or Simple Green. One of my fellow riders uses Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover exclusively to clean his V-Rod. His bike always looks great. I think about any of the detailing sprays out there would do a good job for you.

I would be careful about grinding surface grit into the paint. Perhaps spraying the detailer on and very lightly wiping the surface for the first go 'round.

You might consider buying a few 5 gallon containers of bottled water and using those to was the bike.

Last edited by rwven; 12-05-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Heloguy
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go somewhere that has a hose with good water.
Use the aerosol can of S100. Make sure the engine is COLD when you spray it on. Soak the whole bike with it, and hose it off really really well with a good high pressure hose. (NOT a power washer)
once it all cleaned up dry it and spray detail it with BugSlide or some other spray detailer.

*MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD* If not, you will get white haze on the black powder coating on the engine.
*do NOT let the S100 dry up on the bike.
Once you finish spraying the whole bike down with the S100, immediately rinse it off. It does not take long for it to eat through all the gunk, road grime, and other crud built up on the bike.

Last edited by Heloguy; 12-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Serdvd6
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

You may want to try one of the waterless car washes, such as Griot's Garage, I haven't use it myself, but I have used some of there other products

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn

Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

Quite a pickle to be in. After washing and detailing in town, you have to ride home on the dirt road and get it all dirty again.
When I first read your question, I was thinking a smart azz answer would be to get some bottled water, but then I thought maybe that is the answer.
Could you buy some gallons of water, as Rwven suggested, or have a larger container you fill in town and transport home in a 4 wheeler, then use a new garden sprayer to rinse the newly detailed bike?
Also, let me reiterate what others have advised, do not use a product like S100 without thoroughly rinsing on a cool engine. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by LS Bob
Quite a pickle to be in. After washing and detailing in town, you have to ride home on the dirt road and get it all dirty again.
When I first read your question, I was thinking a smart azz answer would be to get some bottled water, but then I thought maybe that is the answer.
Could you buy some gallons of water, as Rwven suggested, or have a larger container you fill in town and transport home in a 4 wheeler, then use a new garden sprayer to rinse the newly detailed bike?
Also, let me reiterate what others have advised, do not use a product like S100 without thoroughly rinsing on a cool engine. Don't ask me how I know.
I was about to post the garden sprayer idea myself.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 AM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm assuming that your drinking water at home is filtered, yes? If so... why would you worry about using 10-15 gallons or so to wash the bike at home? Seems like it would be minimally expensive, and so much easier...

Not trying to be a smartass, just curious. I hope you're not drinking salt water!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 AM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by rv7garage
I'm assuming that your drinking water at home is filtered, yes? If so... why would you worry about using 10-15 gallons or so to wash the bike at home? Seems like it would be minimally expensive, and so much easier...

Not trying to be a smartass, just curious. I hope you're not drinking salt water!
His well water, at 3000 PPM of sodium, has a moderately high salt content. Sea water contains about 35,000 PPM of sodium.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I live in the boonies too and have about 1.5 miles of dirt to get to the asphalt. My water is not salty but HARD! and leaves unbelievable water spots, I done a couple of things...

1.) I put a tap on the discharge side of our soft water maker, run a hose out the garage door and wash it there, blow it off with a leaf blower or run it to the shop and hit it with the air compressor then towel it off immediately. SCORE: 7

2.) Wash it at the coin car wash in town and use their soft water rinse. Towel it off immediately. REALLY the best way I've found to get it cleaned SCORE: 10++

Running back up the dusty 'ol dirt road...it's dusty but not dirty, I roll up to the shop and hit it with the air and it's pretty much good to go...back down the frigg'n dirt road and be dusty again.

Ya gott'a give up something living in the country...

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

We do have 5 gallon water delivered for drinking. I suppose I could use one of those but do not have a way to pressurize it for spraying off.

I think i will go with taking to the car wash spraying the engine down with S100 foam after it cools a bit. The main thing i need to get off is the built up road grime.

I have a compressor at home that i can use to knock the dust off.

May need to get a 12 volt yard sprayer pump (~$100) and rig it up so can use a 5 gallon drinking water bottle to spray it off after washing.

Quick Reply: Winter clean up