Sponsored by:

Installing heated grips on a 17 RGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Installing heated grips on a 17 RGS

What the hell? I purchased Airflow heated grips today and according to everything I have seen online it should be a plug and play install. Very simple since the bike is pre-wired.

The grips I bought don't look like anything I see in the videos from several people on YouTube. My left grip has a plug in the center of the grip as well as a giant wire with a fuse attached to it and bare wire ends that need to be spliced. From what I can see in the videos the left grip should have one wire with a plug on it that you fish to the stem and just plug in.

What the hell kit do I have? The part number is 56100523

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/airflow-collection-heated-hand-grips

Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Did you read the section about fitment?

'17-later Touring and Trike models require Electrical Connection Kit P/N 69201599.
Apparently, they're partially pre-wired.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought that too. It's a simple install on that even though the directions are abysmal. It really has no bearing on issues with the grips.

I realized what the issue is. Only HD could figure out a way to make this absolutely ridiculously awful.

The entire $269 line of "nice" grips like the Airflow are not setup to be internally wired but the shitty stock black rubber heated grips are wired to be plug and play. This is not obvious, apparent and does not make sense. Why would the cheap grips be designed to be internally routed and the expensive ones require a tacky install?

Also realized that HD put the wrong gender connectors on the bike when they pre-wired it so no wires the grips come with will work without cutting off the connector and replacing it. Of course, this is a whacky connector you need a special crimper to install that probably won't even fit inside the cluster if you had it to do the crimp.

I have reached the end of Google and YouTube at this point and I really do not want to put the rubber grips back on.

Very disappointed in this whole thing.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:45 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

You can switch to the CVO grips.... they wire internally.

And are about $600

My factory black heated grips don't look so bad after all.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:51 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
I bought that too. It's a simple install on that even though the directions are abysmal. It really has no bearing on issues with the grips.

I realized what the issue is. Only HD could figure out a way to make this absolutely ridiculously awful.

The entire $269 line of "nice" grips like the Airflow are

not setup to be internally wired but the shitty stock black rubber heated grips are wired to be plug and play. This is not obvious, apparent and does not make sense. Why would the cheap grips be designed to be internally routed and the expensive ones require a tacky install?

Also realized that HD put the wrong gender connectors on the bike when they pre-wired it so no wires the grips come with will work without cutting off the connector and replacing it. Of course, this is a whacky connector you need a special crimper to install that probably won't even fit inside the cluster if you had it to do the crimp.

I have reached the end of Google and YouTube at this point and I really do not want to put the rubber grips back on.

Very disappointed in this whole thing.
I purchased those shitty stock black rubber grips for my 17 SGS. No problem wiring them internally to my Carlini bars and all plug and play. By the way, according to the dealership those shitty heated cheap grips actually work much better than any of the more expensive ones and last the longest. Can’t really turn mine up past 3 before my hands get too hot.