2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does only the Boom! 20s EVO get full stereo with the WHIM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Does only the Boom! 20s EVO get full stereo with the WHIM?

So as the title indicates, I'm trying to get input from owners of the Boom! 20s or SPH-10 (I realize the 20s EVO works fully) if these particular Boom! bluetooth headsets will actually provide FULL stereo sound via the Wireless Headset Interface Module. As you're likely aware, Harley's site states that the Boom! 20s, 20s EVO and SPH-10 are "fully" compatible, and I would really prefer the SPH-10 right now since I'm a half-helmet guy. However, I'm getting the (hopefully incorrect) impression from the massive WHIM thread that ONLY the Boom! 20s EVO is fully and completely functional with the WHIM. IF that's truly the case, then Harley needs to edit their catalog and the Software Update page online to clear up the confusion and state that only the Boom! 20s EVO is fully compatible (and I won't hold my breath waiting for that edit!).

Just a side note: Save the keystrokes regarding the Sena Freewire or any Sena branded product. The Freewire is NOT a Harley-branded product, and yes I know any BT headset will get full stereo with the Freewire. I also realize that the Sena branded equivalents of the Boom! headsets (20s, 20s EVO and SPH-10) won't get the full stereo signal no matter what firmware you try to install to them.
This particular inquiry is regarding an INSTALLED WHIM and the Boom!
Audio Bluetooth branded headsets. Thanks.

I have the WHIM installed (super easy job) and activated via the dealer (quick process, and they didn't even charge me), but don't yet have a Bluetooth headset. The complicating factor in picking one is my helmet choice: I absolutely prefer my half helmet to my 3/4 or modular lids (even in colder weather), so that makes the 20s EVO a lot less attractive vs. the SPH-10. If Harley (or Sena) would offer a half helmet mounting solution so the 20s EVO could be used with ANY helmet, that would go along way to making my choice for me. However, Harley's store/catalog offers no options, and Sena's primary half-helmet solution seems to be their SPH-10H-FM kit, which of course is a not-fully-WHIM-compatible headset. A 20s version of that 10H setup would be a good option!

So...any Boom! SPH-10 owners or Boom! 20s (non-EVO) owners out there who installed the WHIM and used them together? Are you getting the full functionality/stereo audio with either of those PARTICULAR headsets (Yep, still aware that the new Boom 20s EVO is fully compatible)?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

The WHIM supports both A2DP (stereo) and the AptX high quality audio codec.

Only the BOOM Audio 20S EVO supports both stereo and high quality audio.

Both of the other BOOM Audio Bluetooth headsets, the SPH-10 for half helmets, and the earlier 20S (Non-EVO) both support stereo, but not the high quality audio.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know which Half lid you have but I installed an HD 20s EVO on my Bell Pitt Boss half and another clamp kit on my 3/4 Shoei. It is a bit of a stretch for the attached boom mic on the half but I think it will work fine. The universal boom may reach a bit farther but doesn't mount as solid. The Pit Boss has speaker pockets in the removable neck curtain but I plan to use the bike speakers with the half and installed helmet speakers for the 3/4. I can't test mine till the snow melts in Oregon and I can get my bike to the dealer for the flash.

The following users liked this post:
vhmike73 (11-16-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM
v2plus15
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought these and mounted them in my Bell Pit Boss half helmet with the Boom 20S EVO. They work but the wife had to sew velcro strips onto my helmet straps to get them to stay where I wanted them. The included velcro didn't stay stuck on very long.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by v2plus15; 11-17-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by v2plus15
I bought these and mounted them in my Bell Pit Boss half helmet with the Boom 20S EVO. They work but the wife had to sew velcro strips onto my helmet straps to get them to stay where I wanted them. The included velcro didn't stay stuck on very long.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Inserts...70_&dpSrc=srch
Cool, I hadn't seen those and Amazon has 3 different kinds. I assume the y-straps go outside these pads? Biggest question - Is it still comfortable? Also, Did you try speakers in the neck curtain pockets? These would obviously be cooler on a hot day than the curtain. Did you install the helmet clamp kit above the ears and the mike reaches fwd far enough? Note to others with half lids - I think the Pit Boss rides a bit lower than most other halfs so the mic reaches a bit further down and forward.

BTW - I retired from one of your competitors last year.

Last edited by DAVENRINO; 11-17-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 PM
v2plus15
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
Cool, I hadn't seen those and Amazon has 3 different kinds. I assume the y-straps go outside these pads? Biggest question - Is it still comfortable? Also, Did you try speakers in the neck curtain pockets? These would obviously be cooler on a hot day than the curtain. Did you install the helmet clamp kit above the ears and the mike reaches fwd far enough? Note to others with half lids - I think the Pit Boss rides a bit lower than most other halfs so the mic reaches a bit further down and forward.

BTW - I retired from one of your competitors last year.
Yes, I find these are comfortable to wear. They do not press to tightly on my ears. No I haven't tried them in the neck curtains yet but might try them this winter, if I can find them. I installed the clamp in the middle of the Y straps and the mike fits me just fine. Your mileage might vary.

Can't believe it has been almost 2 years since I retired from AA. Time flies when you are having fun.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:17 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by v2plus15
Yes, I find these are comfortable to wear. They do not press to tightly on my ears. No I haven't tried them in the neck curtains yet but might try them this winter, if I can find them. I installed the clamp in the middle of the Y straps and the mike fits me just fine. Your mileage might vary.

Can't believe it has been almost 2 years since I retired from AA. Time flies when you are having fun.
Thanks. I lost the curtain so got spares from Revzilla less than $10. I really don't like helmets much, but the Pit Boss has been the most comfy for me. My Shoei 3/4 makes me feel like a Hard Hat diver but is nice when cold n rainy. I already installed mine on the Bell and I am sure it will work fine when the snow melts. The mike even tucks under the bill if not needed. Do you feel much hotter using the speaker pads on a hot day? Ha...I rode from Phoenix to Portland the end of June. Any reduction in wind noise?

Time does fly. My last flight was Oct 10 last year. My Limited was my retirement present to myself.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The WHIM supports both A2DP (stereo) and the AptX high quality audio codec.

Only the BOOM Audio 20S EVO supports both stereo and high quality audio.

Both of the other BOOM Audio Bluetooth headsets, the SPH-10 for half helmets, and the earlier 20S (Non-EVO) both support stereo, but not the high quality audio.
This may sound nit picky to some, but heck with them.
I want to thank you for using the CORRECT Name and terminology for the Harley Boom Audio 20s EVO headset.
It is NOT a Sena Product. The Harley Boom is a Harley product that may be made by Sena, but made to entirely different specs than the brand Sena sells as it's own.

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
This may sound nit picky to some, but heck with them.
I want to thank you for using the CORRECT Name and terminology for the Harley Boom Audio 20s EVO headset.
It is NOT a Sena Product. The Harley Boom is a Harley product that may be made by Sena, but made to entirely different specs than the brand Sena sells as it's own.
Thanks! I really tried to do that when discussing these products, because although SENA makes a "20S EVO", and you can buy a "20S EVO" from your Harley dealer, they are NOT THE SAME.

This gets VERY confusing, and it could be a very expensive mistake.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:44 AM
v2plus15
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
Thanks. I lost the curtain so got spares from Revzilla less than $10. I really don't like helmets much, but the Pit Boss has been the most comfy for me. My Shoei 3/4 makes me feel like a Hard Hat diver but is nice when cold n rainy. I already installed mine on the Bell and I am sure it will work fine when the snow melts. The mike even tucks under the bill if not needed. Do you feel much hotter using the speaker pads on a hot day? Ha...I rode from Phoenix to Portland the end of June. Any reduction in wind noise?

Time does fly. My last flight was Oct 10 last year. My Limited was my retirement present to myself.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at Revzilla for the curtains.

I haven't been on a long trip since I bought these, but I think they will be fine. Before I bought the Boom 20S we were using the Sena SPH10H-FM which had the built in ear pads like these, and they worked just fine. Wind noise is about the same as it was with the old headsets.

Did you know an instructor named Mike Bruce at United? he teaches on the Airbus now, but he was a 777 instructor for years. We were in the Air Force together for years.

Quick Reply: Does only the Boom! 20s EVO get full stereo with the WHIM?