Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts

No the ignition switch is the way I shut my guilt trip down

Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
I have a question for those that think a kill switch is mandatory, correct, required, or the right way to turn off your bike,

How do you turn off your car/truck?
Well,

A. I don't own a car or truck anymore. But,
B. When I did, I never found myself trying to hold the brake with my hand, hold the clutch with my other hand and then wondering how I should or could reach under my tank on the left side of the bike to hit the ignition all while balancing my car on some likely on level surface...
C. What do you suggest we do when the bike doesn't even have an ignition, only a kill switch, is it ok if we use it then?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Most learn the kill switch riding dirtbikes and it sticks you. The kill switch is a natural thing with me and use it every time.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Well,

A. I don't own a car or truck anymore.
B. When I did, I never found myself trying to hold the brake with my hand, hold the clutch with my other hand and then wondering how I should or could reach under my tank on the left side of the bike to hit the ignition all while balancing my car on some likely on level surface...
C. What do you suggest we do when the bike doesn't even have an ignition, only a kill switch, is it ok if we use it then?
A. Wish I could say that. I'm envious
B. The brake is in the right hand so the ignition can be easily reached with the left
C. The answer is as obvious as why you don't use the kill switch to turn off the truck

What else can I help you with?

Old 01-18-2018, 08:32 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Well,

A. I don't own a car or truck anymore. But,

I was thinking of posting a similar snide reply.

As another poster mentioned, growing up on dirt bikes, the kill switch is a natural and automatic gesture for me.

I'm sure it really doesn't matter to the bike how it's shut off but it is much safer to keep both hands in the "control" position while shutting down the bike in gear. And if you aren't parking that 1000 pound beast in gear every time...

Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM
rezrider
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I often use the kill switch when I'm riding double just because it seems easier than taking my hand off the bar. Just my thoughts tho. Oh and you shouldn't have to worry about leaving the switch on and killing your battery, because if you don't turn and look at your bike as you walk away, you might have bought the wrong bike. lol

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Wills Wheels
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I roll to a stop in first gear kill the motor with the switch cut it back on put the bike in neutral turn the ignition off.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

I usually stop, in neutral, drop the stand, lean the bike onto the stand, turn off the petcock, and then turn off the key or switch. With the newer bikes I don't have the petcock, so it looks funny when I reach around the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:07 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
A. Wish I could say that. I'm envious
B. The brake is in the right hand so the ignition can be easily reached with the left
C. The answer is as obvious as why you don't use the kill switch to turn off the truck

What else can I help you with?

Let me guess you think everyone has an ignition on the dash panel of the tank? You are aware that it can be, and often is located in other positions right?

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,916 Likes on 934 Posts

No right or wrong here as far as I'm concerned. Do what is right for you, and what works best. For me, the kill switch is a redundant way to shut down the ignition. By that I mean the ignition switch is primary and must always be turned off. The kill switch is a secondary route to shutdown but it doesn't eliminate the need to also use the ignition switch. I can only see occasional situations (in normal use) where the KS might be useful for me...but that's just for me. I 100% rely on the main ignition but know I can employ the KS if I'm in a situation where it would be useful. The very few times I've used the KS it seems I forget to check it at the next startup. "What?....no fire?...wait a min...oh yeah...dang it...okay, let's roll".

Quick Reply: Kill Switch