2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 AM
riderguy57
Cruiser
Location: Minneapolis (full time)/ Fayetteville, AR (part time)
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Kill switch, ignition, then wait for the double chirp before walking away.
Me too.

Scott

Old 11-19-2017, 08:31 AM
riderguy57
Cruiser
Location: Minneapolis (full time)/ Fayetteville, AR (part time)
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Only Metric riders never use their kill switch.

REAL HD bikers use the 2 step process
Respectfully, I disagree. In addition to my 2014 SGS, I have 2 metric bikes. I always do the 2 step (Kill switch then ignition) with all of these. I've owned metric bikes for over 40 years and Harleys for about 22. I have been doing the 2 step for at least 30 some odd years.

Scott

Last edited by riderguy57; 11-19-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:37 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I do, every time I shut the bike off.
ditto: DOnt know why, but I believe that you are supposed to use it, and not the ignition switch.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
DOnt know why, but I believe that you are supposed to use it, and not the ignition switch.
Has nothing whatever to do with "voltage spikes" from turning off the main switch. This is product liability.

In the owner's manual, many things are stated in careful ways to isolate Harley from lawsuits.

Somebody probably took his hand off the throttle to turn off the main switch, lost balance, dumped the bike and got hurt, sued Harley. Harley then went into the manual and instructed us to hit the kill switch first before taking hands off the bars, so as to protect them from further legal problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by KrustyKush:
Duracell (01-17-2018), KW HD (01-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Has nothing whatever to do with "voltage spikes" from turning off the main switch. This is product liability.

In the owner's manual, many things are stated in careful ways to isolate Harley from lawsuits.

Somebody probably took his hand off the throttle to turn off the main switch, lost balance, dumped the bike and got hurt, sued Harley. Harley then went into the manual and instructed us to hit the kill switch first before taking hands off the bars, so as to protect them from further legal problems.
Interesting idea. I'd like to know when it went from an emergency kill engine switch for accidents to the first step of a two step process to turn off an engine. It is the way things happen in the real world and I'm sure they lawyers said something like, "hey, it is no skin of my back, do it". In this light, it becomes similar to the kick stand kill switch concept, which really is, "the people who buy this bike are too stupid to ride it and will put the kick stand down and FORGET to turn off the motorcycle!"

Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Killswitch engage.

The following users liked this post:
micmoren (01-18-2018)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Interesting idea. I'd like to know when it went from an emergency kill engine switch for accidents to the first step of a two step process to turn off an engine. It is the way things happen in the real world and I'm sure they lawyers said something like, "hey, it is no skin of my back, do it". In this light, it becomes similar to the kick stand kill switch concept, which really is, "the people who buy this bike are too stupid to ride it and will put the kick stand down and FORGET to turn off the motorcycle!"
I have no doubt it being added to the suggested process had something to do with lawyers, but also keep in mind that some bikes the kill switch is the only way to turn the bike off, it is the ignition as well. And other bikes like mine you need to use the kill switch, unless you want to shift in to neutral so you can bend over then you can take your left hand and grope for the ignition between the cylinders/by the upper motor mount.

Last edited by skid_pimp; 11-21-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:53 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

In the 70's, kill switches on boats became a big issue. Soon everyone was talking about the safety aspect of kill switches. ATVs, PWCs, and motorcycles. By 2002 most industries had some sort of kill switch plan. Only then, once everyone had them did companies start thinking about using them as a two step procedure to turn off your motorcycle. Until then, they were just an emergency shutdown, like most kill switches still remain. How many shut down their boat with the kill switch?

I don't care what you do, but as an emergency responder (retired) I know where to find the switch. If someone's bike does not start, the first thing we check is the kill switch. This is NOT ROCKET science.

Some got in the habit of using it because their ignition switch was not convenient. Many had the ignition switch on the headlight, by the neck, under the tank. Mostly as a cost saving measure, shorter wire, greater savings on building.

I could see the trainers thinking it was a good idea. If I was a trainer of new riders, I'd pass that on. If I was a motorcycle, ATV or boat company lawyer and the Feds made me add a kill switch, I would say use it to cover our corporate asses. It is just one of those things that finds its own life.

If you use it and are happy, so be it. If you do not use it and are happy, so be it. If you are unhappy, change. How many threads have we had on Kill Switches? It amazes me that this is an issue we need to dissect as if it matters.

Oh no, someone will post that you void the warranty on the M8's if you use your ignition switch to turn off your engine. Oh my goodness, do I turn on my ignition first, then the kill switch or do I turn on the kill switch first...oh no, my manual does not say. Must be slow at work and everyone is thinking about turkey.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have never used the kill switch on any Harley I have ridden. Don't plan to use it on mine.

Garrett

Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

LOL, add the kill switch to the long list of all things taboo.

Quick Reply: Kill Switch